What's new

MKX Block Option Select Backdash Video by UltraDavid

Belial

Noob
accepting inputs while also doing something else is pretty much what an option select is. an os doesn't have to produce fancy results, it just has to be some set of inputs that produce different results based on what's happening in the game at the time.
That same thing existed in Injustice and even MK9, I dont see it as an option select, option select "chooses" option (thats why the name) based on your opponent behaviour. This thing really doesnt, you could just as well hold block than bd real fast w/o resorting to "block buffer" or whatever.

NorCalSamurai

Bacon Lettuce Tomato
This is not an "option select". This is just an example of game accepting directional inputs while holding block, which isnt anything new, by the same logic you can hold block, input... for example bf, then let go of block and press 4 and subzero will slide. YAY WE GOT AN ARMOR OPTION SELECT.
Having a single set of buttons to press that covers multiple situations is pretty much the literal definition of an option select.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
It's not killing Street Fighter 4!

People need to realize that Option Selects aren't magic. They're in all games, and they're simply a side effect of exploiting the input system. You can't generally just patch them out.
I know but look, how would this game look when we all learn how to make everything safe? Its gonna be really lame, all those time outs, string, string into safe OS, strings, string into OS till it hits or opponents armors out, counter poke or backdashes.

NRs games are usually designed for us to take highe risk with high reward, with OS's its all gonna be low to zero risk high reward!

This one is ok. Still costs stamina. Still would lose to throw or a non meaty cross up jump in punch

The other one that makes you safe on block always produces a positive result

armani

Noob
I know but look, how would this game look when we all learn how to make everything safe? Its gonna be really lame, all those time outs, string, string into safe OS, strings, string into OS till it hits or opponents armors out, counter poke or backdashes.

NRs games are usually designed for us to take highe risk with high reward, with OS's its all gonna be low to zero risk high reward!
the keyword here is stamina.
you still have to manage your stamina bar doing backdashes and such.
so with this OS, you only have two chances of correctly guessing what your opponent is doing. if you fuck up and guess wrong the third time, you eat a combo with no breaker.
so in the grand scheme of things I think this is fine

Belial

Noob
Having a single set of buttons to press that covers multiple situations is pretty much the literal definition of an option select.
No its not, otherwise everything would count as an option select.
I wrote it in my previous post. OS makes "choice" for the player. This one doesnt.
In fact you could as well have no opponent present and still pull this off. You would still "block a second then backdash" even if your opponent doesnt do anything at all.
As I said its available since MK9 and nobody even bothered calling it option select untill somebody made a video and wrongly named it OPTION SELECT.

accepting inputs while also doing something else is pretty much what an option select is. an os doesn't have to produce fancy results, it just has to be some set of inputs that produce different results based on what's happening in the game at the time.
Hello, it's a useful tech, but it's not an option select imo.
Let me explain my point, you wake up with 1-frame block and if there is a "meaty" attack it will instantly blockstuns you, so your next input is irrelevant because you are already stunned and can't do anything. If it's not a "meaty" attack, you are just waking up with 1-frame block and then you can do whatever you want.
If it was a real option select, you would wake up only with backdash without any block and there would be a "Wakeup" text, since backdash is a true wakeup move in this game.
It's not even about inputs while holding block, you can tap block and backdash after, just have to press backdash really quick.
It's like you can press 111 string during the game, but if you've whiffed the first hit opponent can punish you and your next hit won't come. Option select confirmed :)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Cool vid, I agree with the uploader. I think some people need to get tampons for the whole "omg this game is too 50/50" what fighting game isn't? lol And MK has been known for such for a while now, so I just find that a lame excuse. I'll gladly take 50/50's over dumb block string glitches, infinites, partials, vortexes, easy ass resets etc Just saying...

Very helpful and informative vid.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
the keyword here is stamina.
you still have to manage your stamina bar doing backdashes and such.
so with this OS, you only have two chances of correctly guessing what your opponent is doing. if you fuck up and guess wrong the third time, you eat a combo with no breaker.
so in the grand scheme of things I think this is fine
Right but I was talking about OS's in general.

I mean to do strings into safe combo openers. This is OS as I said on my earlier post it's always welcome, since we have very little, very expensive and very weak defensive tools.

Bryck Walle

Counting the Days for the JCVD Johnny Costume!
Don't mind Belial. He's also one of the guys who goes on the steam forums blowing smoke up peoples asses. He also loves to go into SRK streams and harass NRS devs.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Hey guys, let's act like dicks to the guy who is spending his time helping our community by sharing his findings at no benefit to himself by arguing semantic terminology!

This place really has become a dumpster, full of garbage pail kid members.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra

I'm not really arguing that. Ideally, there are almost zero option selects in a game. I was just clarifying why they happen.

I obviously haven't seen the MKX codebase, so I have no idea how deep into the engine code these problems are. Most of these issues we see (with all fighting games) are due to exploitation of the way the input parser handles particular sequences. I could go into a more detailed explanation using SF4, since some of its option selects are incredibly illustrative about how to exploit an input parser, but if someone wants to know more from a coding perspective just PM me.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I'm not really arguing that. Ideally, there are almost zero option selects in a game. I was just clarifying why they happen.

I obviously haven't seen the MKX codebase, so I have no idea how deep into the engine code these problems are. Most of these issues we see (with all fighting games) are due to exploitation of the way the input parser handles particular sequences. I could go into a more detailed explanation using SF4, since some of its option selects are incredibly illustrative about how to exploit an input parser, but if someone wants to know more from a coding perspective just PM me.
I know how to play SF4 and understand its high level gameplay. You comment addresses none of my concerns.

I could careless how they work, my argument is how it will affect MKX's meta game.

Last edited:

Bryck Walle

Counting the Days for the JCVD Johnny Costume!
You are clearly mistaking me for someone.
EDIT: I was mistaken and have since deleted the link to that person's steam account. Sorry about that Belial.

If this is your steam account then I'm not mistaken. If it's NOT your steam account, I apologize for what I said.

Last edited:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/belial_20xx If this is your steam account then I'm not mistaken. If it's NOT your steam account, I apologize for what I said.
you're wrong buddy... Belial is Russia's one of the most respected fighting games player who consistently scores into top8.
also, about option select. this is a nice find but this is not an option select.
ps. options selects are dumb and need to be addressed by NRS. they need to go. period.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I know how to play SF4 and understand its high level gameplay. You comment addresses none of my concerns.

I could careless how they work, my argument is how it will affect MKX's meta game.
Again, I agree with you. And I don't want it to affect MKX's metagame.

What I am saying is that it may be insanely difficult or impossible to fix some of these issues due to how deep in the game engine said problems might be embedded. It may be quite simple. I have no idea, as I have not seen the game code.

Just keep in mind that it might not be as easy as "hey fix that OS!"

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Again, I agree with you. And I don't want it to affect MKX's metagame.

What I am saying is that it may be insanely difficult or impossible to fix some of these issues due to how deep in the game engine said problems might be embedded. It may be quite simple. I have no idea, as I have not seen the game code.

Just keep in mind that it might not be as easy as "hey fix that OS!"
I understand, thanks.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Nice vid UD!!!!

This OS isn't that bad because you can catch backdashes and there is still the high/low guess. That's different than making every thing you do safe regardless of what happens. That is one of the worst offenders of OS ruining a game. There's no evolving past making yourself safe. You don't need to do anything more after that. It's like using an easy kill combo. Once you find it all other combos are irrelevant because you have no need for them.