What's new

MKX Block Option Select Backdash Video by UltraDavid

Here's a new bit of option select tech that lets you block while option selecting a backdash. You'll block if the opponent does something, but if they don't, you'll backdash away!

It's a really easy input:
-For stand blocking, quickly press block on wakeup, then tap back, then let go of block, then tap back again
-For crouch blocking, quickly press block+down on wakeup, then tap back, then let go of block, then tap back again

The most obvious application is in the wakeup game, where you can use this to block if the opponent does a meaty attack (an attack timed to hit you as you wake up) but also to escape if the opponent does something else. You can use it in many situations though! As cyber Kano I often come in for a quick stab of pressure and then backdash out if it doesn't work. Sometimes my backdashes get interrupted by people attacking. Now I can block if they attack, but if they don't, I'm away to safety!

Anyway, I made a video on it:

Attachments

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Nice find UltraDavid, very inspiring and informative work as always.

Have fun, armchair critics.

Belial

Noob
This is not an "option select". This is just an example of game accepting directional inputs while holding block, which isnt anything new, by the same logic you can hold block, input... for example bf, then let go of block and press 4 and subzero will slide. YAY WE GOT AN ARMOR OPTION SELECT.

FuzzySlipperz

IN TRAINING
i dont mind this OS. Being in a game with mindless 50/50s, i dont mind having another defensive option. Coupling this with delayed wakeup, is going to become a damn good tactic

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I expect people that can't be bothered to learn this will complain that it is killing the game. I personally am excited for this OS
As much as I hate OS this one is definitely the most tame and beneficial for the game. Its really not even that broke because you still have to guess whether to block high or low and even if you use it you arent guaranteed any damage.

This is not an "option select". This is just an example of game accepting directional inputs while holding block, which isnt anything new, by the same logic you can hold block, input... for example bf, then let go of block and press 4 and subzero will slide. YAY WE GOT AN ARMOR OPTION SELECT.
accepting inputs while also doing something else is pretty much what an option select is. an os doesn't have to produce fancy results, it just has to be some set of inputs that produce different results based on what's happening in the game at the time.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
This definitely isn't one of those braindead option selects that always gives a positive result like some of the others. Seems like it would lose to throws though. Good to know it's an option, especially if you don't have meter.

btw you don't have to let go of block

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
More defensive tools are always welcome though I truly feel like OS's are gonna kill this game in the long run.

ryublaze

Noob
Awesome find. I'm thinking this could be useful against characters like Erron Black where u can block his overhead and backash his low.

Another option select similar to this one is that you can hold block and mash out a string so you'll block a meaty or go into pressure/mix-up if they're waiting for a wake-up attack. If they delay their attack though your move can get stuffed.

Btw I don't think these option selects are that bad. They give you more defensive options and evolve the meta. Knowing that your opponent has these option selects just means that now you have to go for moves to catch backdashes or delay your attacks to stuff your opponent's.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
Why OS exist at all?they kill mind games........this is Mk not Tetris!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I support this one, it lessens the 50-50s more, now we can block jump ins and avoid slow starters, instead of trip guarding we can just use this.