What's new

MK9's Growth Post-MLG Columbus 2012

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
First things first. MLG this weekend was absolutely amazing. I seriously feel very bad for those who could not make it. It's an unbelievable atmosphere. IMO it's the best MK9 tournament to date. The saying, "You had to be there" applies tenfold here.

Okay, now onward to the actual topic. I love MK9, obviously. But after watching and experiencing how this game is played now, there's no doubt in my mind this is honestly the best MK game to date.

MK9 has seriously become a pretty hard game to play at the top level. Everything you do in this game can mean you die. Whiff something? Die. Blow your meter wrong? Die. Get a projectile jumped? Die. This game is BRUTAL on your mistakes. It forces you to play smart, have great reactions, and great fundamentals.

This becomes extremely apparent the minute you fight a top level Cage. You HAVE to have impeccable footsies, reactions, and smarts to deal with Cage. The second you block a knee, expect to get Bernied if you guess wrong too much (MLG inside joke LOLOLOLOLOL). But in order to play Cage, your fundamentals have to be very much on point, or he never gets in on a good player.

A while ago I said this game is going to really evolve into being very strong at footsies. And I was very right. :) I'm glad I am. MK9 is in there.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
MK9 is def my favorite fighter. Street Fighter 2, MK2 and Virtua Fighter 3 were my favorite games back in the day, now i cant even watch other fighters like MvC3. Just looks like complete nonsense to me now....but MK9 i get. It just plays better, feels better, looks better, everything.

swag1

EX smash solves all
I think for so long, Mortal Kombat was known, built it's foundation and advertised itself as an extremely gory game that is played for shits and gigs in the arcade and lots of secrets to find.

I think MK9 has broken that mold and truly emerged as a legitimate tournament game. Props to NetherRealm. Definitely the best fighter of this generation (video game generation, i.e. PS3, XBOX, etc.). I think in 5 years if this trend of games and style and focus on tourney play by NetherRealm, MK will be a legitimate fighting game attracting the crowds of SF and Marvel.

I think if we keep this up, the next time an MK game comes out, a look of good fighters will pick up this game Day 1, and legitimately compete in it. I think a lot of tournament players think the game has been out too long and the others are just too far ahead to pick up the game right now.

Good shit THTB. MLG better keep hosting MK! :D

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Yea the Johnny Cage's are getting better Its nearly impossible to keep them out nowa days.I have to revisit this MU again since I thought I had it figured out but Dizzy showed me I didnt.

Dann

Noob
The mk9 community knows it. Hopefully after tournament such as this one the rest of the fighting game community will see the greatness of MK9. MORTAL KOMBATTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I$AAC

Noob
Every time I try to give this game a "break" to concentrate on other games (in which I'll nebver do again) I always come back and fall in love with the game all over again! MLG imo has rejuvinated the MK scene here in Tampa. People that were about to quit the game for other things now want to get together and get ready for majors such as CEO 2012 and so forth. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I dont know why people bothered with tier lists for this game. If you learn to play the game right then theres only a handful of "uphill" matches that any character can have, and they are never going to be unwinnable. People saying cage is "top 5" is purely down to the player using him, and the mechanics of the game falling heavily on rushdown characters capabilities. Only a few characters can play "keep away" and even they wont keep JC away long enough to win against the right player.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
What'd I tell you guys.

All year.

2012 = THE YEAR OF KOMBAT.

And everyone who came out this weekend just helped prove it.

I may never get to the top of the hill, but after yesterday, I'm prouder than ever before to be part of the climb.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Agreed! I love how this game evolves differently from other games. The MK metagame is amazing and offers so much originality that there is never a dull moment to be had. Excited to see MK9 grow and possibly rub off on some of these other fighting games, but im not gonna say any names since that would make me just as bad as them...

P.S. The games that frustrate you the most are the bests, and this game has everybody salty lol

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Im biased being a MK diehard from day 1 (and day 1 for me was in the later summer/early fall in 1992 down in Miami)

I really think MK9 is a perfect fighting game (as perfect a game can get obviously there are some random bugs)... I wish we could get a camera view of how REO and CDjr play the game on their pad/stick.. The amount of skill is ridiculous .

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Im biased being a MK diehard from day 1 (and day 1 for me was in the later summer/early fall in 1992 down in Miami)

I really think MK9 is a perfect fighting game (as perfect a game can get obviously there are some random bugs)... I wish we could get a camera view of how REO and CDjr play the game on their pad/stick.. The amount of skill is ridiculous .
Fingers fly, that's for sure.