What's new

MK9 WILL be played at MLG Columbus June 3rd-5th

Thanks to Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment, we have exciting news: at MLG Columbus, Mortal Kombat will be played live during an MLG Pro Circuit Competition for the first time. You'll have the opportunity to compete on-site for a share of the $1,000 prize pool, as well as an array of other prizes.

Spectators, Pro Circuit competitors and pro players alike are eligible to compete. Full Official Rules will be provided on-site. The tournament will be going on all weekend long in the Mortal Kombat booth; come show everyone what you've got!

-1v1, walkup competition
-Competitors will play one game, and the winner will stay at the station to play again
The eight players with the longest winning streaks over the course of Friday and Saturday will return on Sunday at 12pm to compete in the Sunday bracket:

-1v1, single elimination bracket
-Players will be seeded based on their winning streaks
-Matchups in the bracket will be Best-of-3, until the Finals, which will be Best-of-5
-An extra match will be played to determine 3rd and 4th Place
-1st Place = $500
-2nd Place = $250
-3rd Place = $150
-4th Place = $100
The MLG Mortal Kombat Tournament will return at MLG Raleigh; it'll be even bigger, and $7,000 will be up for grabs for the Top 8 finishers.

Check out the Pro Circuit site for a full list of MLG Columbus activities. Come out and spectate live; it's three days full of things to do, things to win, and incredibly high-level competition to watch. We'll see you there!

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/compete-in-an-exclusive-mortal-kombat-tournament-in-columbus

Haven't seen this posted anywhere so I thought I would share. MLG Raleigh sounds like it could be pretty big with a nice prize pool. Hope this goes over.

Anybody know if this will be at other MLG events this year besides these two?

edit: Also, that's a pretty fucking stupid way of doing the tournament. who the hell would think that longest win streak would be the best way to seed a bracket? Jesus christ.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
"-1v1, walkup competition
-Competitors will play one game, and the winner will stay at the station to play again
The eight players with the longest winning streaks over the course of Friday and Saturday will return on Sunday at 12pm to compete in the Sunday bracket:"

Tha fuck?

It's really pathetic how MLG takes a whole circuit to figure out how to run a new genre. They had the same problem when they introduced SC2 last year, they had really fucking stupid rules in it. You would THINK they'd consult the community or somebody that knows something about it but whatever, they're the ones making themselves look like idiots lol.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Great, had i known about this AHEAD of time....

and MLG or not, the rules are stupid. Then again, MLG is on their own planet so wtf ever.

Dandy J

i can see all the amine
Kinda wanna go to this, but AL ranbats in Cinci is on Saturday and that is higher priority for me. Does anyone have any idea on the logistics of this thing? Like, can I show up on Friday, get a streak, leave, and come back on Sunday to play in the final? What if someone never loses lol? This just sounds like the stupidest fucking format ever. I mean I already don't like the idea of attending an MLG event, and on top of that I'm gonna have to deal with this ass backwards winstreak shit.

Won

Noob
Guys, they haven't PICK UP MK, if they picked it up They wouldn't be doing it that way, Playstation is an MLG sponsor and if you've ever been to an MLG event they have lots of booths for their sponsors where you can go try their products, play games, etc. It's just for fun, you can win some cash, maybe get your name out there. Jeez, freak out much? If they decide to actually pick the game up it will obviously be run like a regular tournament, but don't plan on it MLG doesn't really do fighting games, they had Tekken and Super Smash last season, but neither returned this year.

Dandy J

i can see all the amine
I don't care about them picking it up or not, I'm just looking at it as a single event. I can picture the type of setups they will have, prolly just kiosks with PS3 pads. As an event it just doesn't sound like much fun. The only thing keeping me wanting to go is the money and potentially good players showing up.

Won

Noob
I don't care about them picking it up or not, I'm just looking at it as a single event. I can picture the type of setups they will have, prolly just kiosks with PS3 pads. As an event it just doesn't sound like much fun. The only thing keeping me wanting to go is the money and potentially good players showing up.
It's not an even for MK, it's in the playstation booth, where they usually have very large flat screen t'vs some games and yes, pads, WB or NR probably went to MLG or Playstation and asked for the game to be there or it could have been MLG's idea, quit thinking of it as a tournament, it's just for fun, to get some publicity to their sponsor. Jesus it's not a freakin MK event, it's like goin to Best Buy and playing on one of their demo stations, but they try to make it a "tournament" and give YOU THE OPPORTUNITY to win some money and prizes, quit bitching.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Basically this is MLG saying, "We want to pick up your game, but first show your support!". MLG has had a ton of failed titles in the past and they want to have some staying power with this. The format is bad but it's not a serious format. More of a side thing for spectators to have fun with. The prize is just a bonus. Support the game and next season I'm sure MLG will add MK to it's lineup. MLG also made a lot of effort to give each game they have on the circuit their own mainstage. Which is a first this year, so I'm guessing they don't want to give MK the shaft after giving all these other games equal treatment to Halo.

Basically this is MLG saying, "We want to pick up your game, but first show your support!". MLG has had a ton of failed titles in the past and they want to have some staying power with this. The format is bad but it's not a serious format. More of a side thing for spectators to have fun with. The prize is just a bonus. Support the game and next season I'm sure MLG will add MK to it's lineup. MLG also made a lot of effort to give each game they have on the circuit their own mainstage. Which is a first this year, so I'm guessing they don't want to give MK the shaft after giving all these other games equal treatment to Halo.
LMAO your sig is the greatest.