What's new

MK9 Tournament Preparation - Equipment

Dark_Rob

Noob
They are the ASUS VW236H and VW246H (23"/24" are the differences).

They go from about $150-200 I believe.

There are others in the same series smaller and larger that have the same specs and don't lag.
Thats not a bad price at all.
may have to pick one up just for tournament purposes...
I may be able to score one to if they are as cheap as Lucky says. I also have my PS3 and my plethora of MK sticks so I should be good for one complete setup with some spare sticks.

Noob
Thats not a bad price at all.

I may be able to score one to if they are as cheap as Lucky says. I also have my PS3 and my plethora of MK sticks so I should be good for one complete setup with some spare sticks.
Yeah, I have to save my pennies but I def. think I'm gonna get one of the ASUS monitors...

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Just so you're all aware, Evo using PS3s doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the tournament standard.

For example, WCW, So Cal Regionals, and 90% of local tournaments that I go to run SSFIV on 360.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Personally I wouldnt mind if we ran MK9 on 360. I like it better as a gaming console and then we also wouldnt have to hear it from every noob that wants to use Kratos.

Yeah, but if the game gets big enough to draw numbers, you will have to run it on whatever the majority of other games are running on so you can share systems when one tourney ends.

So 360 will be a possibility, but we'll definitely need to make sure people have PS3s in place in case that is what the TOs decide to use for IV/MVC3.

OOFMATIC

Noob
Not sure if this is the spot to post this, and sorry if this idea has been brought up before, but I'm really intrigued by the tag battle mode in this game. So I'm hoping that this mode will popular in tournaments.

2 vs 2 can bring an interesting team strategy to the game. I'm sure if two friends who always practice together were to fight two players who were just randomly thrown together as a team, the friends would have an advantage, since they would have specific strategies and ways of working together to get the win.

Now the problem with such a tournament format would probably be attendance, since not everyone would want to have a partner to climb (or drag) their way to victory with. So to deal with this I would suggest allowing people to enter the tag tournaments alone (and have control of two characters when they play), but they would have to pay double the entry fee than what two players on a team would. So if it's a $20 entry fee to get in the tag tournament, a single player would have to pay the full $20, while 2 people on a team would just pay $10 each. This would add incentive for people to team up with someone.

Anyways most of my tournament experience is with the Soul Calibur series, so I've never been to the other fighting game tournaments that featured tag modes (TTT, DOA etc), so my apologies if this idea is nothing new.

OOFMATIC

Noob
I think it was in an interview, but I heard that you can have 2 players on the same console, fight in online tag mode against 2 other players. So I would assume it would also let you fight 2 vs 2 with 4 players on one console offline.