What's new

MK9 Tournament Preparation - Equipment

Noob
So, yesterday's announcement that MK9 will be an official game hosted at EVO comes with a small hitch... the game will be hosted on PS3.

Knowing this, it stands to reason that MK9 will be hosted on PS3 at all major tournaments, ESPECIALLY at tournaments that fall under the 2011 EVO Championship Series Tournament Schedule or act as EVO qualifiers.

2011 EVO Tournament Season

1/14/2011 - West Coast Warzone, Orange, CA
2/26/2011 - GVN Winter Brawl, Philidelphia, PA
3/11/2011 - Final Round XIV, Atlanta GA
4/29/2011 - PowerUp 2011, Cincinnati, OH
5/27/2011 - Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament, Chicago, IL
5/2011 (exact date TBA) - OzHadou Nationals 9 (OHN9), Sydney, Australia
5/2011 (exact date TBA) - East Coast Throwdown, Atlantic City, NJ
6/4/2011 - Montreal Annual Tournament VIII, Montreal, Canada
6/10/2011 - CEO 2011 Championship, Orlando, FL
6/17/2011 (tentative date) - Nor Cal Regionals, Milpitas, CA

Since we're always fighting an uphill battle with MK, we have to expect that the lion's share of PS3's will continue to be used for SSF4, and that SSF4 will be a 2 day event. Who knows if MK9 will be...only our turnout and support will dictate that.

Anyway, I still believe that the TO's will ask any MK Community Members to help with, if not run the MK9 tournaments. Again, this all hinges on how big of a turnout it gets...it could see 100+ people or it could see 30 people. The amount of people running pools and brackets will be determined by the entrants.

So, lastly that brings me to equipment. As I said before, SSF4 will still use the majority of the available PS3's at tournaments, so while we may be able to secure an extra PS3 or two, it will fall on us to bring our own PS3's and copies of MK9 to tournaments. I am currently in the process of trying to trade or sell a few softball bats so that I can get an extra PS3 for just this reason.

The planning has to start now. Lets hope MK9 lives up to the hype and makes all this work worthwhile!

Tim Static

Adminerator
yea i will be looking into getting a couple more used PS3's come tax return time. so i'm good for about 3 or 4.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I got an idea for tournament organizers... this is getting freaky... we're on thinking of basically same ideas! lmao

Noob
I got an idea for tournament organizers... this is getting freaky... we're on thinking of basically same ideas! lmao
This is what happens when you have a group of individuals with similar goals who communicate well and work diligently to achieve them.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I guess I'm buying a new PS3... lol

:top:

We need to have set crews in different locations.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
K.Kill is working on the usergroup issue, after that is fixed, Lucky Day will be in his own "Tournament Tech" usergroup.

Also looking to get a PS3. I'll work on having one by Powerup in May.

I expect a few of them will be sufficient for most of these tourneys aside from a few of the bigger majors.

MK is traditionally a fast game to run.

I think an even bigger issue is whether we should work towards supplying at least 2 MK sticks for all of these events just in case.

I know a lot of people will be getting the TE editions and those will be floating around and maybe it won't be a problem. Tim and I will definitely have two for people to use at our tourneys.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Also looking to get a PS3. I'll work on having one by Powerup in May.

I expect a few of them will be sufficient for most of these tourneys aside from a few of the bigger majors.

MK is traditionally a fast game to run.

I think an even bigger issue is whether we should work towards supplying at least 2 MK sticks for all of these events just in case.

I know a lot of people will be getting the TE editions and those will be floating around and maybe it won't be a problem. Tim and I will definitely have two for people to use at our tourneys.
Yea we'll have sticks, but were gonna have to get at least a good 3-6 set ups for MK9 if this hype train keeps picking up steam. I have my AIAB, and i'lll have one MK TE (which i will need you to put an IL and black convex on lol) plus what you got. Aside from that, people better come prepared.

If you have the means to get an evo recommended Asus monitor, go for it.

But its by no means a requirement for anything outside of evo. The key is lag free, whether thats tube or LCD should be up to the TO.

Yea we'll have sticks, but were gonna have to get at least a good 3-6 set ups for MK9 if this hype train keeps picking up steam. I have my AIAB, and i'lll have one MK TE (which i will need you to put an IL and black convex on lol) plus what you got. Aside from that, people better come prepared.
Yeah, I think having two MK sticks at every tourney is enough. MK9 looks like it will be fairly SF stick friendly with no run button. If people embrace the game they will have their own stick or pad to play with anyway.

guys guys, now that mk9 is at evo you dont need to bring setups. the tourney organizers will bring systems and games. bring mk sticks? no, ppl can bring their own shit. this isnt umk3 where ppl played it in arcades, what ppl play mk9 on at home then can bring to tourneys themselves to play on.

phil, you guys do a lot of work for games like umk3,mk2,ki, etc now that mk9 is at evo let the organizers take care of it so you guys can relax and just play for once.

Noob
guys guys, now that mk9 is at evo you dont need to bring setups. the tourney organizers will bring systems and games. bring mk sticks? no, ppl can bring their own shit. this isnt umk3 where ppl played it in arcades, what ppl play mk9 on at home then can bring to tourneys themselves to play on.

phil, you guys do a lot of work for games like umk3,mk2,ki, etc now that mk9 is at evo let the organizers take care of it so you guys can relax and just play for once.
I wish this were really the case. TO's are always looking for people to bring extra systems and TV's...and that's just to cover SSF4. My gut feeling is exactly what I said.. the Lion's Share of PS3's will be dedicated to SSF4 and MVC3...which means we'll have to have MK Community members step up and provide PS3's for MK9 as well as some kind of TV or monitor.

Which model is the EVO recommended ASUS Monitor? How much is it?

Tom Brady is right about EVO. They do have setups there that will be devoted to each game.

MrWizard can confirm this, but as far as I know, the EVO setups remain the same (ps3/asus monitor) throughout the entire building for official tourneys (at EVO).

People will definitely have to bring their own sticks to EVO.

What I'm talking about is the majors and regionals leading up to it that will have MK9 tourneys which Phil listed in the first post.

We need to make sure we have setups ready to go for those to get interest building before EVO. We are now not only competing with SFIV, but MVC3 also.

Noob
What I'm talking about is the majors and regionals leading up to it that will have MK9 tourneys which Phil listed in the first post.

We need to make sure we have setups ready to go for those to get interest building before EVO. We are now not only competing with SFIV, but MVC3 also.
That's what I was referring to also... not EVO... but the majors leading up to EVO. We'll have to provide our own setups. Nick, do you know what Asus monitor it is and how much they cost?

They are the ASUS VW236H and VW246H (23"/24" are the differences).

They go from about $150-200 I believe.

There are others in the same series smaller and larger that have the same specs and don't lag.