What's new

Guide MK9 Top 10 of all time

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Same argument could be made against dizzy. Although I do feel a lot of Wounds recent success stems from: People don't know how to fight Shang Tsung, he throws fits if he doesn't get player 1 since he is dependent on winning every trade for good up skull pressure and people stopped taking it so seriously around the time he blew up.

Wound is good whether he P1 or P2. Upskull pressure is not his only strategy, he has maximized Shang's potential in all aspects of his gameplay. He overcame so many bad match-ups and made top 8 at Evo with a mid-tier character and never switched for the bad match-ups, you have to hand it to him

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Same argument could be made against dizzy. Although I do feel a lot of Wounds recent success stems from: People don't know how to fight Shang Tsung, he throws fits if he doesn't get player 1 since he is dependent on winning every trade for good up skull pressure and people stopped taking it so seriously around the time he blew up.
When have I ever thrown a fit about getting player 1? I guess Detroit also doesn't know how to fight Shang....

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

Dizzy's first top 8 was PowerUp 2012 in May of 2012. He then went on a run where he's placed top 8 at all but I believe three tournaments since. Including two MLGs. He has been a top 10 player for over a year.

And Cowboy is hands down one of the best players around now. After playing casuals with him at Anaheim I knew he was gonna explode sooner or later.

They met in GF in 2011, REO won a set to reset the bracket. Then PL won the last set. So 1-1. Then in 2012 PL won. Then in 2013 REO won. 2-2.

It seems PL also beat reo at power up.
But I dont think you can look at it that way. Dizzy also reset the grand finals against pig but I nobody would say that dizzy beat pig in tournament.

the discussion of reo or pl being the best player comes down to whether all of reos wins in total can override Pl's 2 evo wins, because you can't compare 2 mlgs to 2 evos. next to that pl has win a couple of majors himself like ceo and ufgt.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
#4,568,486 - Lumpymoomilk
The 9th best Sheeva in Canada (out of 11 Sheeva mains in the country)
-Won the "in my brother's basement" invitational
-Also beat Battery by Metallica (using guitar) on Rock Band on Hard mode
-hard work ethic, used practice mode for around 2 hours in total during his MK9 lifespan
-smells good generally (for a gamer this really is a stand out quality)

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
When have I ever thrown a fit about getting player 1? I guess Detroit also doesn't know how to fight Shang....

Haha, apparently not. I love how everyone attacks Detroit in retaliation to stuff I say.

And I'm just playing devils advocate here, I think Dizzy deserves his spot on that list. Maining Johnny Cage and doing well means you have to work your ass off against almost impossible match ups high/top tier.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Haha, apparently not. I love how everyone attacks Detroit in retaliation to stuff I say.

And I'm just playing devils advocate here, I think Dizzy deserves his spot on that list. Maining Johnny Cage and doing well means you have to work your ass off against almost impossible match ups high/top tier.

Shang is even lower tier than Cage. He places using nothing but Shang and beasts multiple Kung Lao's and Kabals. So Wound doesn't work his ass off? lol

mekane

Noob
REO should be #1... I think him destroying PL in this last EVO was the difference. He just has so many more tournament wins than PL, despite not winning an EVO.

Its also hard seeing 16-bit above a guy like CD Sr, who absolutely trashed him in the 5v5 tourney... I agree he didn't go to enough tournaments, but come on we all know who is better...

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
As much as I love CD, I can't remember him winning any majors, although he did have quite a few Top8s.

Didn't Kevo win two majors or something?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Coolwhip is correct, PL put REO into losers at PU2011 but I don't know off hand who used who so I kinda let it go. REO considered himself not to have beaten PL before EVO 2013 but based on all sets, yeah, they're 3-2.

Ironic fact about Kabal at that tournament: REO was openly using NDC pressure, doing perfect IAGBs, and waking up with EX dash. And everyone cried foul on how broken Kung Lao was lol.

I wonder what we'll think two years from now looking back on Superman's inevitable nerfs.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Doesn't have the results to show it.
Only because he was just a little boy at the time and couldn't travel everywhere all the time. But, his results definitely were a strong testament to his skills. His game was ahead of everybody he played and the matches he seemed to lose were because he had character loyalty.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Only because he was just a little boy at the time and couldn't travel everywhere all the time. But, his results definitely were a strong testament to his skills. His game was ahead of everybody he played and the matches he seemed to lose were because he had character loyalty.

Not my problem.

After Columbus he went to Anaheim, EVO and NEC. He failed to place. He used Kung Lao against Kenshi and Kabal against Sub-Zero. He just didn't do well.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So, when Tom Brady inevitably goes on a rant about how the community does not honor consistency or remember the deeds of previous winners, can I point him directly to this thread as a reminder that it is his fellow friends that stir up this shit?