What's new

Mk8

Houzi

Noob
Idk, I didn't really like the fighting style stuff. I mean I like how they told what styles they were, but switching I didn't like and I didn't like how it's so slow. They just need to make another UMK3 IMO. I really like the fast paced play and the combos were set perfectly. Again this is In My Opinion, but I don't like the 3D MK games. They're just too slow and they didn't have as smooth feeling combos as UMK3 and UMKT.
I do doubt that they'll have another game like that but we'll just have to see. They say started from the ground up, so it's gonna be something different. I just hope it's smooth and doesn't suck. or people will DIE!!!!! :-P

dreemernj

Ambassador
I hope they manage to find a real balance. It's probably pointless for me to make the comparison, but from playing VF4evo, I feel like I see how to make a game with well defined character animations that are pretty realistic in speed that can feel like the fastest damn game ever if the players know how to play.

I want that. I want a game that rewards learning the game with a mindblowingly fast and deep experience.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I want the REAL MK5. As if DA, D & A never happened.

In 2-D of course, but with next gen graphics.

Just think of the possibilities of a new 2-D MK in with todays technology!!!

I agree! Hopefully by having meaningful discussions about this it could lead that way. We all know the smart marketer will look to its fan base to see what they want! We are telling them! Long live MK!(2-d, with digitized grafix, and everything you all wrote)lol

dreemernj

Ambassador
If only 3D MK didn't sell so damn well, lol.

They'll listen to the money before they'll listen to the fans. And the money says More Blood! More Fatalities! More Gore! Shallower learning curve!

And then the money will laugh and dance around and make fun of your mother. Because money's a dick like that.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Maybe they'll go to ancient MK, back when the original Kung Lao, and a younger Goro & Shang's first foray into the story line.

LOL @ Dreemers post. :)

I dunno about the 3D games having a shallower learning curve. I've found them much harder to learn than the 2D MKs, but maybe that's just cause I grew up on the 2D ones.

As for MK8, man I really hope it's 2D, but highly doubt it. Anything that changes the engine/style a lot would be welcome though, as DA, D, and A are really all very similar.

And possibly most importantly, they need the speech samples to use the original style voice instead of the retarded sounding one the 3D MKs use. In MK2 and 3, hearing the computer say "so and so wins, fatality" sounds awesome, but in 5-7 you just laugh at the voice.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Yeah, 2 and 3 the voice just sounds like an awesome voice. After that it sounds like they took some dude without an awesome voice and editted it to sound more ominous. It sounds fake.

krsx

Noob
Maybe they'll go to ancient MK, back when the original Kung Lao, and a younger Goro & Shang's first foray into the story line.
I see this as the only way they can go (and only way they can redeem themselves in my eyes) if they do as they intend and have a roster filled with new characters.
Going back to the origins of the tournament - the format which so many people have complained has been missing since MK2 - with a dark theme would work.
For stylization, I'd like to see more of a look that resembles the artwork done in the back of the MKD strategy guide, the MKD comics, not sure if they ever released them, but that design. Or more Japanese/Asian, manga style.

There's so much potential!

I really think they should've, or should have a consumer poll of what they should do for MK8. By the sales and lasting online play of the last 3D Mk's, they should realize that 3D gameplay is just no the way to go for MK. I hope since seeing SF4 3D with 2D gameplay, that Midway/Tobias, Boon will go with that concept. And seeing that UMK3, and MK2 are doing pretty good online on the next gen consoles, that should spark the idea in thier heads. UMK3, and MK2 are played way more than any 3D MK currently. If they don't realize this than MK8 will be another let down.

Again Im so happy to see that others feel the same way I do about another installment. Anyone know how long it usually takes to make a game like this? If its due in NOV 08 is it alreay done? Would we be among the first to know dreemer?

I have absolutely given up on the new MKs. It really lost its lust for me when MK4 came out, that one just sucked, and it was all down hill from there. Unless its like UMK3 supercharged, then I don't see myself playing it. Its shameful what they did to the series...stop changing the fucking characters, you start to love them and then in the next game they're gone. I just don't don't understand that.

damn I couldn't agree more with everyone's responses... sweet,
HAIL THE 2D 4 LIFE!!

seriously, taking credit with the Akuma vs. Chameleon video (in case you haven't seen it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYP0BCokPzg taking in mind to minus the SF) in choreography, there should be another great 2D MK similar to this craziness.

oh yeah, and maybe another shaolin monks on a next-gen console would rule. I'd like to see the world of MK after the second tournament.

Tim Static

Adminerator
oh yeah, and maybe another shaolin monks on a next-gen console would rule. I'd like to see the world of MK after the second tournament.
Dude, I've been saying for awhile now, that they should do a follow up to MK:SM's, but focus the game around the events of MK3/UMK3, with Kahn's invasion of the earthrealm. But instead of Kang & Kung, it should be Stryker & Mightwolf. Maybe call it Mortal Kombat: Protectors of the Earthrealm (I guess Masters of UNiverse was already taken, har-har-har)

But seriously, MK:SM is the best MK since (gasp) MK4, which is sad because MK4 was the most differetn MK up to that point, but this is whole entire topic.

Sequel to MK:SM, FTW.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I am about due to play that game over again, I think. (I'll play it on xbox this time to fool myself)
haha, I just started playing that game again, this time, the PS2 version. (only becasue I have a PS3 and MK:SM isnt BC on the 360 :( )

I really wish there was a way for us to play this co-op online. :(

but focus the game around the events of MK3/UMK3, with Kahn's invasion of the earthrealm. But instead of Kang & Kung, it should be Stryker & Mightwolf.
Yeah, that would be sick, but Stryker and Nightwolf (well maybe not Nightwolf, but definitely Stryker) would be pretty boring to play IMO... it would, however, be interesting to be on the darker side of things and see the viewpoints of actual villians and getting to play as them during Shao Kahn's rule.... maybe instead of being heroes, being villians destroying everything. Or hell even being in the neutral side of things. Can't think of any characters on the top of my head to play as in such a game.

Tim Static

Adminerator
But thats the point, Stryker needs to up his rep. haha.

But the only storyline for this follow uo that would work is how and why the cop & Ultimate Warrior's souls werent taken in the invasion, etc. And there trip west, haha.

It would be called "MK: Cowboys and Indians"
:lol: good one.

Sheeva is the one that needs a serious upping of rep, and more better moves. I can picture it being pretty brutal; ripping and tearing limbs, smashing and crushing heads with those 4 disgusting arms. Just the new game 'Sheeva', save that useless uggo of a creature.

or just get any wake up call for any low tier character

damn I couldn't agree more with everyone's responses... sweet,
HAIL THE 2D 4 LIFE!!

seriously, taking credit with the Akuma vs. Chameleon video (in case you haven't seen it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYP0BCokPzg taking in mind to minus the SF) in choreography, there should be another great 2D MK similar to this craziness.
Awesome flash!! I enjoyed the length of the fight. TEST YOUR MIGHT!! btw......http://www.noob.com seems to be differnt..like its going to be active soon.ya know..ed boons own website!Also....Ive think I found out what is going to DRIVE the mk8 game!!! weeee!! Epic games reports that the game is using their unreal engine and is being developed for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii. The core of UR3 is written in c++.Shit man 2008 they are supposed to have finished codecing Unreal 4. (But..thats most likely for after-nextgen console.:() They of course will need differnt physics chips.BIG money is a stake for Midway to make a flop! Can someone translate this into what the gameplay might be like? 2d?hd? Was the link above an example of it? What engine is driving that game?