What's new

MK4 Road tour 1997

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, actually Mike, that happened with MKDA too lol.

Dreemer rented MK4 and we played it for a little while, explored the characters and then played some MKT right after, and then probably some Twisted Metal 2. Then same for MKDA, I think Ryan brought it over and I was doing aa combos within minutes. I had about 2 hours of total MKDA experience before playing in a tournament for it in Philly. This guy Alex I believe, taught me some cheap tactics and a decent combo with Sonya about 10 minutes before hand. The combo was like 1144, kiss, 1144 kiss, 11sc22sc44 or something. It was like 14 hits and years ago.

RayRokka

Noob
LOL

I was at Enchanted Castle the day the tour started. The very first MK4 was unveiled.

My first opinion was wow...it looks like crap. Then it was...WOW, it plays like crap too :)

Everyone had the same combo :(

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I just got to watch the video now, I remember all of this, it was so hyped, DreemerNJ and I were so excited, and then so let down. I remember seeing people play it at a movie theatre near here and when I saw it being played, I wasn't even tempted to play it, but I did for the sake of playing it. After that and playing it a bit more in other places when there were only games that interested me even less, I played 3 home versions and it was cemented in my mind that it was the biggest evolutional step, in the wrong direction for MK. I only played MKG last year.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Shock said:
Yeah, actually Mike, that happened with MKDA too lol.

Dreemer rented MK4 and we played it for a little while, explored the characters and then played some MKT right after, and then probably some Twisted Metal 2. Then same for MKDA, I think Ryan brought it over and I was doing aa combos within minutes. I had about 2 hours of total MKDA experience before playing in a tournament for it in Philly. This guy Alex I believe, taught me some cheap tactics and a decent combo with Sonya about 10 minutes before hand. The combo was like 1144, kiss, 1144 kiss, 11sc22sc44 or something. It was like 14 hits and years ago.
After MKT for PSX, everything went down hill.

I rented MK4, we played it maybe 5 matches at most, and we put it down in favor of MKT and TM2. The next day I went back to try and unlock endings, and that's when my PSX started to smoke. My PSX would rather catch fire than play MK4.

Then I got to try MKG for DC at a friend's house, my first time playing a DC game. It was heinous, and I thought the controller was heinous too.

That same day, we tried MKT for N64, my first time playing MKT for N64. It was heinous, and that reaffirmed my belief that the controller was terrible.

Then MKDA, for 15 minutes, followed by a night of MKT.

Then MKD for 15 minutes (just trying it myself), followed by a night of anything else.

MKA? Puke.

krsx

Noob
I remember how hyped MK4 was at the time. I think they were aiming for the rebirth of the old style MK, trying to aim to the fanboys who liked the atmosphere and fatalities, those that hated MK3.

So much anticipation, still the most disappointing MK ever imo. Not a bad game overall, just such a huge let down. Too bad they didn't keep the UMk3 gameplay and put in the the (semi) 3D environment. I think that would've pleased everyone.

I had an article on this road tour in an old tips and tricks, the general consensus was that it wasn't a good game. The reviewers didn't come out and say that, but you could tell - and so it proved.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I got to meet Ed, Tony & Dan on the MK4 Road Tour 97. It was awesome.

But all I talked to them about was MKII & UMK3. 8)

I was immediately turned away from MK4 as soon as I heard shinnok's voice say Round 1. lol

I still play the game though.

ÐarkMoon said:
I was immediately turned away from MK4 as soon as I heard shinnok's voice say Round 1. lol

I still play the game though.
I was mad that it wasn't Shao Kahn's voice. That voice can make any MK game be played...except Armageddon.

RayRokka said:
LOL

I was at Enchanted Castle the day the tour started. The very first MK4 was unveiled.

My first opinion was wow...it looks like crap. Then it was...WOW, it plays like crap too :)

Everyone had the same combo :(
LOL I was there too. Got lost on the way there. We got lucky and saw the MK4 truck and followed it to Enchanted Castle. Stood in line to play it twice because it was set up loser left and winner was only allowed to stay one more time then had to leave. So I let the next guy win so he could stay on.

I need to call midway, because I dont remember signing anything stating that they could videotape me and use it in a video to sell mk4 cabinets.

MKK hanzo

need to call midway, because I dont remember signing anything stating that they could videotape me and use it in a video to sell mk4 cabinets.
Too good that one... LOL Quan Moe? LOL

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I read about that, sound's like it was fun.

MK4 wasn't THAT bad lol, I mean the combos are hot despite what people think of the actual game but yeah MKA is a lot better then MK4 since they fixed the problems in MKD that made that game all offense, 50/50, FT's and OTG's...

As for the voice thing, it sounds virtually the same as the newer 3D MK's. Computerized deep voice...midway should just hear me I can impersonate many voices including the MK voice perfectly. Then again I have that luxery since I have a deep voice naturally. 8)