What's new

MK4 Character Guides

ded

Elder God
For the interested, the general gameplay guide post will be done soon, stay tuned for also one more mk4 surprise :wink:

ded

Elder God
hanzo sent me the general gameplay guide few days ago, i have to review and finish it, so it will be done probably this week

ded

Elder God
It is hard indeed. Better try getting as much as possible JP, Teleport cycles instead the inf because its annoying.

It will be easier but still hard for the PC version to try it with Noob Saibot

ded

Elder God
There is no easy way to do them in any version of the game. It took me about 2 months to record all SUJK infinites for the mk4 characters you see in the end of MK4:Extreme.

What can help a little is that its just something like a tact. Hold Up and just start press the kick button in equal intervals of time. Once you get the pattern it will be not that hard to get 3-4 SUJKs, but getting 15 is pain in the ass.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I remember when I asked about doing the infinite a month+ back ago you said that it was very hard indeed and most of the time not worth the risk/not worth going nuts over lol.

From the looks of it, I gotta say I agree I don't think I'd try this in serious level play honestly. Messing around maybe. 8)

ded

Elder God
Hanzo sent me the general gameplay guide about a week ago, but there were some stuff which i should finish and i was unable because i had no time. Since i'm off today i decided to finish it. Enjoy 8)

Basic terms

Hp: high punch
Lp: low punch
Lk: low kick
Hk: high kick
Bl: block
Rn: run
Wpn: weapon
Wpn Thw: weapon throw
Wpn Drw: weapon draw
Wpn Grb: weapon grab
Jxx: jumping attack (the xx can be substituted by any attack, ex: JHk ; Jumping High kick)
SUJxx: straight up jumping attack
aa move: anti air move

Basic knowledge

If you come from playing UMK3 a lot and switch to MK4, you will encounter various differences and similarities between both game engines. In MK4 and MKG all characters have almost the same basic move set and properties. This have been normal since MK1 but is in this game where it seems more prominent. All characters share the same basic combos and pop ups so basically when you learn one character, you have basically all down. Just have to learn how and where to use their special moves, wich are the ones that set them apart.

As in all MK ALL blocked do what is called "chip damage". Meaning that all blocked attack tip off a little of energy. All MK4 normal moves do little damage compared to their older counterparts. This is overall visible in the Uppercut and Roundhouse moves. All characters in MK4 now have a weapon of his own. They can draw it an enter in a "stance". this will be better explained in the wpn section. The gravity on the Juggles here seems pretty loose so you will feel that characters "float" a bit more higher when you juggle them. New to this game also is the Lk throws and the Maximum Damage modifier.

Run

In simplest usage, the run bar depletes obviously when you press the run button and forward, and you continue to run by holding forward, not forward+run. You can hold run and tap forward repeatedly to take medium, and large running steps (no small steps anymore like it was in UMK3/MKT). If you hold forward+run after the run bar has been depleted in any situation, the run bar will not refill until you release either forward, or run. Run bar is depleted in slightly different delegations for an aaLP or HP, a little more for aaLPLP or HPHP, and on moves like the Liu Kang's Bike Kick. After a pop up combo, you can now way more easily run and continue the juggle.

Run jabs

You can cancel a LP or HP by tapping any other attack button, in UMK3/MKT that was the main focus in the versus games -> the runjabs. However in MK4 they act different and still could be used as they were in UMK3/MKT but now they are a little more risky and it will be good to mix them with some other moves. In MK4 you can also do Knee Jabs. In some situations it will be very hard to escape from them. The main goal for them too is to mix them with weapon attacks (Liu Kang for example) or unblockable special moves (Jarek, Jax), and after that watch for eventually ground combo.

Special Moves

The special moves in MK4 could be splitted to: Projectiles, Stunners, Launchers, Punishers, and Evasive.

Projectiles: As his name implies, these involve our character firing some kind of energy/object at our foe. These are best used from larger distance because most of them are slow. Like Nightwolf Green Arrow in UMK3, ALL of the MK4 projectile attacks "speed up" when used in a combo or Juggle or even a blocked rush string (this helps to create better mix-ups patterns). This is very useful because in other way some of them could not connect. Projectiles can have different properties. Stunners: A stunner is a special move that "stun" the opponent and leaves him open to our attacks or in some cases, extend a combo. Stunners can be projectiles like Scorpion Spear and have unique properties like Sub Zero Ice Clone. Launchers: This are those special moves that "pop up" the foe into the air for more punishment. Reiko Spin Kick or Fujin Tornado Lift are perfect examples for this. Punishers: These moves are very fast and his mainly use is to surprise the foe, finish a long combo or to punish blocked moves. Liu Flying Kick or Jax Dash Punch come to my mind first. Evasive: All teleport trickery and “get out of” moves are called evasive for obvious reasons.

As in UMK3, certain special moves have "hit limits" that prevent them of repeating themselves from being done over and over in a same combo (Sub Zero Ice Blast has 1 hit limit). Some of them have a "time limit" which force us to wait a specific time after repeating the same special move. This last limit applies inside or outside of a combo.

Jumping Attacks

In MK4 there are 4 differences on the jumping attacks. All of them depends on which button you press when airborne. Hp is the classic starter that works vertical or jumping in a direction. The Hp starters were nerfed a bit so you wont see them much here. JHk is the classic jumping attack that opens a juggle opportunity if landed right. JLp and JLK are new attacks that made your opponent fall and roll and therefore lose all the combo/juggle potential. The good thing of these attacks is that they are harder to Juggle defensively. Use them for a one hit kill if the opponent life bar is almost in danger or to set up throw traps (these will be explained later). The SUJK works the same for both buttons. there is a glitch that allows you to perform a very close to the ground SUJK. We call it grounded SUJK. This hard to do glitched attack opens a new world of combo possibilities. Its a move that the game in certain situations consider it as a ground move when it shouldn’t (after an Scorp spear) and this allows to set up massively damaging combos because SUJK doesn’t trigger damage protection.

Throws

As in all mk games, MK4 features throws and are performed the same way as before with the Lp button when in close. To avoid being thrown you have to hold back when the opponent attempt to throw you. MK4 have a new throw manoeuvre called BONEBREAKER or simply Lk throw. these throws differ from the regular ones for being far more brutal on their execution (leg, arms, neck breaking) and also for doing more damage. Certain Lk throws allow you to set up various mix-ups and plays to trick your foe into blocking to the wrong side and allowing you to perform an almost free throw or keep rushing.

Crossups/Crossup Throws

They work just like the previous MK games. The idea is to switch the opponent controls and setting up a cross up throw. It could be used also as a jump HP starter if timed corectly or Jump HK juggle. They work best vs deffensive opponents. You have two options now LP throw or LK throw, depending on which character you play with, use the one you will need for your strat.

Weapons

All the characters in MK4 have weapons that are unique on his own. They range from knifes to Swords passing by Spiked clubs and even a crossbow. Some of these weapons have unique abilities like Fujin crossbow which can shoot arrows (or something) at your foe. Sub Zero weapon can freeze the opponent. Weapons are kind of weak because if we receive a hard hit we will lose the wpn and this will fall in the ground. If we are skilled we can get it back but the foe can use against us too. If so, the foe inherits the wpn special abilities and sometimes this make some already deadly characters far more deadly.

The personal weapons have varied attacks like launchers or sweeps. you can throw your weapon when you have it in your hand too. This is accomplished doing the same command for getting it drawn. When you draw a wpn normally your characters go into a vulnerable state and can be punished heavily. If you draw your wpn in a combo, you will do an unique attack that sometimes is not possible with the weapon in hand normally. Its generally safer to wpn drw in a combo. All weapon attacks can be punished by a punisher special move when blocked.

The weapons scattered in some areas receive a different trait. They cannot be held in your hand (unless you use a combat code)and when you do the command input to grab them, your character will automatically throw it. Some do more damage than others as well. To grab a wpn in the floor just press Down + Rn.

Damage Protection

As in UMK3, some moves will trigger damage protection. This will make the forthcoming hits to do less damage than they normally should. Moves like aaHP/aaLP, Jump HK even done as aa have now Damage Protection. One of the few moves that dont have it are the aaKnee, Jump HP HK and the aaSUJK.

Maximum Damage

An interesting feature to some and a last hour patch to others, Maximum Damage is a thing that tries to prevent us from doing more than 40% of damage in one combo. Sure we can reach out far more damaging combos but you have to select your moves and learn what moves activate damage protection or finish your combos with powerful moves etc. Some examples of these can be found in the individual character guides. Some moves doesn’t activate the max dam counter. Interesting thing that developers forget to remove in the Maximum Damage animation is that there are few frames when you are splashed into the screen where you CANT block any special move, which enables a lot of Maximum Damage infinites (and also make Fujin almost god tier in MKGold).

Mix-ups

Having a “custom” combo engine is a double edged knife. Its bad because every characters have the same basic options and their differences are only made by their special move set. On the other side, when rushing down a huge variety of options is available at hand. Since we can cancel now normal standing moves with specials/weapons and we can almost do whatever chain we want, we have a BIG universal move set to keep the opponent at guess.

A simple examples of this:

Running Lp > close Hk Sweep.
This 2 hit chain, as simple as it is, will get more than one foe guessing. Every time mix it up with other various stuff and combine them with the sidestep move for more confusion.

Blocked Combo Breakers

Generally when fighting against high level players, their attempts at ground combos will be more with the Hk starter. MK4 ground combat is based on your ability to “hit confirm” an attack. This means that you got to react in time and see if your attack really hit your foe and continue the combo or leave it that way and cancel your Hk starter with an Lp and keep rushing or move into the defensive. This example is given because a high level defensive player will scout you and if you do an Hk Hk blocked ground combo he can punish you. This is accomplished by the “defender” releasing block just when the foe does the 2nd Hk. The Hk will pass right over his head and he is able to uppercut you or even combo you for free. This is a very complex technique to develop that will aid you specially against overly aggressive foes.

There is a counter to this actually. If you KNOW that your foe will attempt a blocked combo breaker, do your Hk Hk pattern and if you see that he releases Bl, immediately do your Wpn Drw. So he will be STUCK on the crouching animation and even mashing on any button he cannot counter attack. You can also do any special move to get out of this situation.

There is also a counter for this and the defender can block your draw wpn intentionally and punish your blocked wpn attack, but for that he must have a character that can punish blocked wpn attacks.

Blocked Moves Punishers

All the normal blocked moves can be punished by the characters that have the fastest specials. These are listed on the characters guides. The only attacks that cannot be punished are general Lp and Hp cancelled into block and Reptile Lp Weapon attack cancelled into block.

Weapon stumbles

When you draw your wpn on a blocked string, you can delay it to fake your foe into releasing block earlier and get hit. Sometimes when the foe is aware of this, your weapon will whiff completely the attack but your foe will “get caught” in a stumbling block animation. He (or you) can get out of this by doing any special move mashing the button. Scorpion is the best to get out of here because of his teleport and Sub Ice Clone will freeze the foe (but sometimes gets the hit). Liu, Jax and Reiko are excellent to punish this.

Combos

As already said. In MK4 every single character has a standart combo, where only the special moves and fireballs makes them different. I will list all standart combos here and seperate them, if you search for character specific combos check the individual character strategy guides.

1. HP, B+HK (14%)
2. HK, B+HK (20%)
3. HP, HK, B+HK (21%)
4. HP, HP, D+HK (12%)
5. HP, HP, LK (13%)
6. HP, HP, B+HK (17%)
7. HP, HK, LK (17%)
8. HP, HP, HK, B+HK (23%)

Launchers/Popups

1. HP, HK, D+HK (16%)
2. HP, HK, D+HP (12%)
3. HP, HP, HK, D+HK (18%)
4. HP, HP, HK, D+HP (15%)

Characters Specific

1. HK, HK, HK (26%)
2. HP, HK, HK, HK (26%)
3. HP, HP, HK, HK, HK (28%)

Infinites

1. SUJK, HK, SUJK, HK.... (Sonya, Fujin, Jarek)
2. HP, HP, SUJK, HP, HP, SUJK.... (Kai, Quan Chi, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Fujin)
3. grounded SUJK, grounded SUJK.... (Universal)

All blocked combos do a chip damage but unlike in UMK3 where you could not finish your blocked combo, here a good strat is to finish it with mixup - from drawing a weapon (which sometimes will not even touch the opponent but make him in a dizzy animation) to ground attacks, air escapes and etc...

Juggles

The juggles here are way more different than in UMK3. The famious aaHPx2 juggle/punisher standart is now replaced with the grounded SUJKs sometimes followed with aaHK. This will bring easy 30%+ for every single character, and maximum damage for the most. Other combinations are possible like grounded SUJK, aaHP, special move; g. SUJK, Jump HK; g. SUJK, Jump HP with weapon and etc. While you play the game you will notice a lot of moves that juggle the opponent enables you to do big and impressive combos. Its still possible to get the aaHPx2 juggle here but that will activate the Damage Protection and will cause less damage combo although for some characters is better to use aaHP punisher instead aaSUJK. The new moves here that could be use to start juggle are the D+HK (for some characters) and the aaHK. Read the characters guides to see for which one they are useful.

Relaunchers

Yes. There are relaunchers in MK4 although they are blockable lol. What you basicaly do is 4 hit popup, run to the opponent do grounded SUJK and repeat the combo. This is always blockable but could be useful sometimes if the opp is not blocking, so you will get two cycles of it and easier huge combo juggle. Although they are blockables the computer will never block them and you could beat it even on Ultimate level using them. The only unblockable relaunch in this game is for Sub-Zero. Its explained in his guide and how excactly it works.

Corners

When you are trapped in corner by a skilled player you are in a big trouble. In MK4 the corner traps could be so evil that it would be almost impossible to escape sometimes. The corner runjabs from UMK3/MKT could be adapted here too, plus you have the Knee jabs, special moves and fireballs which can lock you in the corner or make you jump or do a special move that the opponent will wait for and etc. The weapons have huge role in the corner traps too. Weapons like Kai's Liu Kang's and few others could be so deadly in corner that for only 2-3 characters the escape would be easy.

The easy way to get out of corner is using a character with teleport move (Raiden's teleport will not work), when you see the opponent will start rushing at you do the teleport move to escape. Sometimes you might risk a little energy and let the opponent throw you if you have troubles getting out of corner because most of the MK4 throws done in corner will make the opponent to change your position and now he will be trapped in corner.

The pushback is a little more shitty too. You have now low SUJK, low jHPHK, HK and D+HK which will push you away from the corner. The only pushback wich could be canceled with a special moves is still the aaHP/aaLP one. If you get a 2hit or more juggle near the corner and jump with Jump HK you will be pushed into the ground (aka MK2 style), so you should forget about that and replace it with jHPHK. Although there is a way to make Jump HK in the juggles near the corners its not worth to try.

The corner resets exists in MK4 too, but now they are not useful that much as they were in UMK3/MKT

Sidesteps

Most people dont realize the advantage of them. There are fireballs which even blocked in close distance would be hard to be punished, but if you side step through them it will be alot easier to just run and combo the opponent, because when you side step you make the recovery frames bigger for the opponents. If you remember the corner resets from UMK3/MKT there were sometimes situations where your character is under the opponent but you still cant do any move except just jump, because your character dont know to which direction to turns. Thats how sidesteps in MK4 make the recovery frames bigger for the opponent, because when you do them through fireball the opponent gets extra recovery frames to turns into the direction you sidestepped. Its also a good mind strat, because after each sidestep you make the arena bigger or smaller for eventually corner traps, zonning or etc. Learn how and with which character to use them and they would be very useful for ya.

7h30n

Noob
Hello!

I just registered here. I'm Theon (7h30n) and I'm relatively new to Mortal Kombat.

I remember the time when I went to my neighbours to play MK2 all day ... ah those were the times.

Anyways, I'm a PC user and in the absence of any good fighting games on PC I wanted to get MK again. So I was thinking to start with MK4 since it's the 'latest' MK.

Can you recommend me how should I improve my game. What are easiest characters to learn/use. Should I try to memorize/learn all combos you mention in your guide in Practice mode and then move on to Arcade mode?
And another question: Is there any way to play any of the MKs on PC over the internet?

P.S. My favourite kombatants are Rayden/Raiden and Sub Zero (well they were in MK2/MK1)

ded

Elder God
the easiest character to learn in mk4 is scorpion. practice the grounded sujk with him, since it will be easy after the spear. when you see you are doing well with him i'd advice switching into someone who has grounded infinite that includes the grounded sujk.

idk any way to play pc mk games over the internet, i remember mk3 dos and trilogy had ipx option and there were some tools that allowed to play over the net using it but its too annoying to bother with...

7h30n

Noob
Hmm. Ok thanks, Scorpion you say.

Well I still have the option of inviting people over to play some MK

Edit: How fast should I do SUJK after Spear to get grounded SUJK?
I noticed I get g. SUJK easier if I punch or kick (1-2 times) before Spear then do SUJK

Edit2: Hey, I was playing with Scorpion trying to learn those listed Kombos (I learnt first 2 Basic Juggles) anyways, I found out this combo on my own (well it is new to me): Hk, Hk, Spear, Hp, Hp, Hk, D+Hp, JHK, Air Throw 8hits 46%
It's quite easy for me, what do you think?

ded

Elder God
very nice, as for the grounded SUJKs just hold up and kick almost at the same time (up should be first of course), once you get the timing at least after the spear you will get them alot easier.

i was talking with Bill few days ago, and i'm planning huge update to the guide very soon.

7h30n

Noob
Heh, between the time of my last post and your I figured out the timing of g. SUJK after spear:
After the animation of pulling as soon as Scorpion begins to straigthen up you press almost at same time (as you said) up and kick. :) Anyways, thanks alot for help.

Oh, and, I modified this combo (basic juggle):
4. aaHp, JHK, Tlpt, Spear, Hp, HP, Hk, d+Hp, aaHp, Jump HpHk (11 Hits, 48%)
into: aaHp, JHK, Tlpt, Spear, Hp,Hp,Hk,d+Hp,aaHp, JumpHp, Air Throw (10Hits 48%)

It's alot easier (for me) than time both HpHk in same jump, and you don't trigger Max Dmg.

P.S. You all probably knew about this and that ... but it makes me feel good to kinda 'brag' :D

Tim Static

Adminerator
awesome man mk4 is my fav mk game hey thus any one know where a new member thread is i can't find it
great. Its HOME_BOY V2.0.:rolleyes:

There is no new member thread, and to be blunt, your way outta of your league, here. You, like HOME_BOY need to keep your n00b shit at the Midway & MKO forums where y'all belong.