What's new

Mk2 vs umk3

X820

Noob
ninjalord said:
i'm obsessed with yomi,because it's so much more fun to play that way. people trash the mk series because they say it has bad mechanics, and a block button and all the usual stuff they say
Yeah just like you are implying with UMK3, right..

ninjalord said:
however, i might also still do it a 3rd time, because i know that you know that i'm trying to trick you, so it might work again. see. you can't do those kind of mind games on umk3. it's all run jabbing and combos. everyone run jabs to try to set-up combos or corner trap, there's no zoning and no mind games.
Ninja, you're an idiot.. seriously.

Like Scheiss told you earlier, don't project your biased thoughts on this game (or any other for that matter) and preach it as beeing true.
You're so way off it's not even funny, please don't try to be smart, it doesn't work out for you very well.

X820

Noob
As a general announcement:

Let's try and keep this as on topic as possible people, this can go wrong pretty quick, especially considering this beeing posted in the MK2 section.

So let's keep the love letters to a minimum in this thread.

btbb99

Noob
other than maybe reptile and baraka you can win in mk2 with ANY other character as well. there are scorpions, sub zero's, raidens, lao's, kitana's etc that can go up against even the best liu kangs, mileena's and jax's and win. and thats a fact.

MKK hanzo

btbb99 said:
other than maybe reptile and baraka you can win in mk2 with ANY other character as well. there are scorpions, sub zero's, raidens, lao's, kitana's etc that can go up against even the best liu kangs, mileena's and jax's and win. and thats a fact.
Mmmmm maybe on an online enviroment but purely arcade offline scene it would be very VERY hard to acomplish that.

X820

Noob
@ Ninja, I'm not even replying to that speech in wich you act like you don't say laughable things with a passion and try to come out as the adult here.

On topic..

I don't believe the discussion was about characters other then the top3 tier in MK2, are/aren't able to compete and win.

In fact in both games ANY character can win from any other character, both games are pretty well balanced that way.

But, when we talk about high level play, in terms of character capabilities the tier lists are there for a (very good) reason.

Therefore, without playing theory fighter; Jax, Mileena and Liu Kang > the rest in MK2.

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
MK3 introduced a lot of interesting mechanics to the franchise. Not to say MK2 was broken or anything, but going up against a major turtler I could see how the chain button combos could turn a slow defensive game into a fast offensive one. However any decent MK2 player could similarly push the pace and punish their opponents (well most of them anyway... cough cough.. kang...) with a good jab pressure.

Can someone explain why so many of the posing/animation frames in UMK3 were so choppy? Pulling off Kitana's basic fan combo (fan lift, jump kick, air fan, square wave) looks and feels excruciating painful in UMK3. It is nowhere as smooth or crisp as it is in MK2, (even simple animation frames like Subzero, Reptile and Mileena's victory poses, look embarassingly awkward.) I think some of these timing flaws made certain characters unplayable. Well regardless, I still like UMK3. I don't play it competitively but I did buy an xbox just for that one game (before selling it lol).

MKK hanzo

Goofart said:
MK3 introduced a lot of interesting mechanics to the franchise. Not to say MK2 was broken or anything, but going up against a major turtler I could see how the chain button combos could turn a slow defensive game into a fast offensive one. However any decent MK2 player could similarly push the pace and punish their opponents (well most of them anyway... cough cough.. kang...) with a good jab pressure.

Can someone explain why so many of the posing/animation frames in UMK3 were so choppy? Pulling off Kitana's basic fan combo (fan lift, jump kick, air fan, square wave) looks and feels excruciating painful in UMK3. It is nowhere as smooth or crisp as it is in MK2, (even simple animation frames like Subzero, Reptile and Mileena's victory poses, look embarassingly awkward.) I think some of these timing flaws made certain characters unplayable. Well regardless, I still like UMK3. I don't play it competitively but I did buy an xbox just for that one game (before selling it lol).
Ejem.... I find no... real... connection in this. English is not my default idiom but what you wrote there... Has no sense at all.

Choppy win animation pose = unplayable game?

(sarcasm) I dont think you can have player control during the win poses so... What matters if they are choppy?

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
I had a feeling someone would nitpick... but you see the brackets right? That was a separate observation. Of course I know the winning poses do not affect gameplay. Kitana's fan combo does.

What don't you understand exactly? Grammar?

MKK Hanzo_H said:
Ok lets debate:

3 hit juggles? Hmmmmmmmm Unless you are Scorp/Mileena/Sub Zero you would not get anythig up from 2 hits. Or im blind. How does Kitana scores 3 hits from a mid screen AA hp? Reptile? Jax? LOL
Do you play much MK2?

Kitana: aaHP, JP, fan.
Reptile: aaHP, JP, slide or sometimes if the enemy lands on a forceball, you can sneak a LK juggle after the RH if you get under them at the right position.
Jax: aaHP, JP or JK, ground pound.

Also, how do you aim to AA Hp in a game where jumping is almost banned cause you eat a free HK or ninja RH?
You'd be surprised how often people jump at me out of habit, even after I've already punished them with several aaHP combos.

And again, how do you AA Hp a defensive Mileena or Jax player that will NEVER jump at you?
I won't aaHP mileena, cuz she's a chick.. But I can get Jax players to jump at me sometimes.. It all depends on their style of play. Even the most defensive jax players will sometimes panic when they're in the corner.

And regarding UMK3 I repeat: There is no multihit dial-a-combo that goes up to 10 hits even with kick starter + juggles + corner setups. At least not realistically.
I know there aren't 28-hit combos in UMK3.. It was pretty clear sarcasm, I thought.

In the end Im NOT bashing MKII. I just love i t a lot but prefer UMK3 cause its more varied, fast, fun to play and watch.
I agree that it's faster and more varied, but it's not nearly as fun to play or watch, because the non-interruptible dial-a-combos ruin it. I don't have as much of an issue with the Run button or the lame characters as I do with the overall MK3 engine. It's hard for me to explain, but it just feels like shit compared to the MK2 engine. And I've played both games extensively.

EDIT: Have any vids of you playing at high level MKII? It would be interesting to see ;)
Sure, look up "john2kx" on youtube. Of the few that come to mind, one of my favorites is the reptile mirror match I had vs. Konqrr.

MKK hanzo

Do you play much MK2?

Kitana: aaHP, JP, fan.
Reptile: aaHP, JP, slide or sometimes if the enemy lands on a forceball, you can sneak a LK juggle after the RH if you get under them at the right position.
Jax: aaHP, JP or JK, ground pound.
Hmmm not that much or at least not as much as I would want/like. I love it, in fact this debate has sparkled my love for MKII once more.

Here is a vid of me, offline of course, I never play online, internet here sucks so bad so everything is unplayable. This was a tourney final, Im Mileena:

And another on a real MKII cab with the screen monitor very damaged, Im Scorp:

You'd be surprised how often people jump at me out of habit, even after I've already punished them with several aaHP combos.
IMO then you should look for offline players. As Im seeing, most of your battles are online, where one can do more mistakes without being punished, one of them is jumping.

I won't aaHP mileena, cuz she's a chick.. But I can get Jax players to jump at me sometimes.. It all depends on their style of play. Even the most defensive jax players will sometimes panic when they're in the corner.
They should not jump, no matter what, unless its a Jax mirror hehe

I agree that it's faster and more varied, but it's not nearly as fun to play or watch, because the non-interruptible dial-a-combos ruin it. I don't have as much of an issue with the Run button or the lame characters as I do with the overall MK3 engine. It's hard for me to explain, but it just feels like shit compared to the MK2 engine. And I've played both games extensively.
Why do you want combos interrupded? Then why there should be the point of having combos if they can be interrupted?

Sure, look up "john2kx" on youtube. Of the few that come to mind, one of my favorites is the reptile mirror match I had vs. Konqrr.
Great stuff, shotouts to Konqrr he is a MKII beast as always.

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
good matches. i think you'd be surprised at how advanced online mk2 has gotten. i know when anyone plays against myself or any top players for that matter...mistakes get punished. people have gotten super advanced at this chess match we call mk2. runaway jax and mileena spammers are pretty much a non-issue anymore. this coming from someone who played high level back in the arcade days as well. people's reaction times and overall knowledge of the game has greatly increased through the years. just something to think about.

btw Hanzo...i miss our ermac battles on the DS!

MKK hanzo

Kensidj said:
good matches. i think you'd be surprised at how advanced online mk2 has gotten. i know when anyone plays against myself or any top players for that matter...mistakes get punished. people have gotten super advanced at this chess match we call mk2. runaway jax and mileena spammers are pretty much a non-issue anymore. this coming from someone who played high level back in the arcade days as well. people's reaction times and overall knowledge of the game has greatly increased through the years. just something to think about.

btw Hanzo...i miss our ermac battles on the DS!
Kensiiiiiiii hehehe how are you friend? i still have my DS around. Im online from time to time. Great to know about you again. Yes Ermacs mirror were dope!