What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Sub Zero VS Jax

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Welcome to Sub Zero's nightmare: Major Jackson Briggs

If he wanted to, Jax could sit back in a corner all day and ground pound till the cows come home. GP completely nullifies Sub Zero's turtling game and forces him to play offense. Jump-ins get countered with aaHK. Crossovers get stomped out with a backbreaker and slides punished with an uppercut. Just apply a constant stream of GP or MGP and Subby can't do much of anything.

As mentioned, Subby hates Jax with a passion because Sub gets taken out of his element in this fight. Sitting back and throwing, or faking ice balls is a lost cause. Being forced to play offense, Sub is going to have to anticipate a GP and try a JK, ground freeze, uppercut combo. Jumping at the wrong time will likely result in eating Jax's aaHK, but it's a risk you have to take. Slides are best used from within sweep range as any further back is easily noticeable. Once you get in close, stay on Jax and keep him guessing with freezes and ice puddles. The problem, of course, is getting inside in the first place.

Jax smashes Subby, 9-1.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
A horrible match for Sub-Zero. I'd rather face Mileena or Kang with Subby than Jax.
The ground pound forces Sub-Zero to put himself into punishable positions. No other fighter does that to Sub-Zero like Jax.
I'd even take Reptile vs Jax over Sub vs Jax, because Reptile can force some chip damage with his moves- not to mention can really fuck Jax up if he can stay invisible.

All Jax, 9-1.

Art Lean

Noob
Genuine question since I’ve not played against another human being on Mortal Kombat 2 since probably 1994 when my friend from across the street moved house to several miles away and hardly ever saw him again… do tactics like this work effectively against the game's infamous AI too, or does it still troll you with unreadable counters regardless?

Last edited:

OutWorldAleMerchant

Hotaru's Number One Fan
Genuine question since I’ve not played against another human being on Mortal Kombat 2 since probably 1994 when my friend from across the street moved house to several miles away and hardly ever saw him again… do tactics like this work effectively against the game's infamous AI too, or does it still troll you with unreadable counters regardless?
The MKII AI is actually pretty easy to beat with modern day FG knowledge, despite its advantages. You can bait them in all sorts of ways, from back jumps to specials to sweeps. Yes, they will still get unfair counters on you, but there are enough ways to deal with them that it's really not so bad. It's actually kind of fun. Sometimes i'll run through with Baraka and blade chop my way through the roster.