What's new

Question MK2 Q&A

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
oh come now... when I first got ps3 in late 2010, you could go in the og MK2 room and always find a match.
the only time you couldn't was like 4am, but otherwise there were always people playing.
then MK9 and MKAK came out and...ghost town.
That, and the OG MK2 was taken off the PSN Store so nobody else could buy it.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
That, and the OG MK2 was taken off the PSN Store so nobody else could buy it.
don't get me started. I curse Sony every day for doing that. I mean what the hell is the point of removing it?? keep it there, make some extra money! you know MKAK paid to have it removed, since it magically disappeared the day MKAK was released.

Clayman

you don't get it, do you?
don't get me started. I curse Sony every day for doing that. I mean what the hell is the point of removing it?? keep it there, make some extra money! you know MKAK paid to have it removed, since it magically disappeared the day MKAK was released.
who needs mk2 when we've got mk9?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I've been sitting on og MK2/MKAK from 6pm-5am today and there hasn't been anyone on. getting really annoying....

Here comes another question. Since frames always seem to be mentioned, is there anything important I need to know about the transition frame(s) that occur when an opponent jumps over your character and forces it to turn from right to left or left to right? Is this "turning" different than the turn movement that is forced by Raiden's or Scorpion's teleport?

And here's some more. It seems like most character projectiles are the same speed, but are they? Shang's fireballs look slower compared to the others I think, with exception to Reptile's forceball I guess. Which characters have an edge when it comes down to a last second trade offs at mid to full screen away?

If Mortal Kombat 2 wasn't released until today, how do you think it would've been received by those that have played all the other MK games including MK9?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
If Mortal Kombat 2 wasn't released until today, how do you think it would've been received by those that have played all the other MK games including MK9?
It would have been appreciated by those who grew up during that time period, but VERY few people from the current generation of gaming would care for it. Case in point, look at Call of Duty: Black Ops. It contained a sub-game within called Dead Ops Arcade, which was a throwback to the classic top down shooters from the 80's and early 90's. Few people from the current generation appreciate it because it wasn't a "true zombie game" or done in FPS mode. Those who played Smash TV way back when though, loved the hell out of it.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It would have been appreciated by those who grew up during that time period, but VERY few people from the current generation of gaming would care for it. Case in point, look at Call of Duty: Black Ops. It contained a sub-game within called Dead Ops Arcade, which was a throwback to the classic top down shooters from the 80's and early 90's. Few people from the current generation appreciate it because it wasn't a "true zombie game" or done in FPS mode. Those who played Smash TV way back when though, loved the hell out of it.
Which is absolutely SAD. When it comes to different things such as music or film, this is not a problem. But gamers today are awful and do not appreciate anything not new.

Reactions: MKB

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
maybe people were just smarter in the 90s, but MK2 was the most popular game of that decade for a reason- NO game has or ever will play as beautifully as it. it is the ultimate chess match. not really sure how people consider MK1-UMK3 as looking "old" considering it actually used real actors instead of cartoony drawings LOL.

the fact that MK9 is so popular today is a TRAVESTY. the piece of shit game (putting it mildly) has been out a year and a half, and somehow with it's stellar art atudent graphics and clunky gameplay, commands tons of people to play it. not only that, has huge prize money tournaments, and the world acting like MK9 is the only MK that ever existed. working on a time machine so I can get myself back to 1994 when people appreciated what made MK2 the greatest game of all-fuckin'-time.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
maybe people were just smarter in the 90s, but MK2 was the most popular game of that decade for a reason- NO game has or ever will play as beautifully as it. it is the ultimate chess match. not really sure how people consider MK1-UMK3 as looking "old" considering it actually used real actors instead of cartoony drawings LOL.

the fact that MK9 is so popular today is a TRAVESTY. the piece of shit game (putting it mildly) has been out a year and a half, and somehow with it's stellar art atudent graphics and clunky gameplay, commands tons of people to play it. not only that, has huge prize money tournaments, and the world acting like MK9 is the only MK that ever existed. working on a time machine so I can get myself back to 1994 when people appreciated what made MK2 the greatest game of all-fuckin'-time.
I wouldn't go that far, Jason. The game's mechanics are better than most of the detractors will admit. I actually liked the game, but I stopped playing it online mainly for the massive hatemail I would get after 50% of the matches I played...WIN OR LOSE. Damn 12 year olds with no life need to get one fast.

Exactly why I might quit playing DOA5 Bill. I never met more people who qualified for a stabbing than the people who play DOA5. These people HAVE got to be in the 10-20 year old range. Have got to be. Thanks for answering my questions Zaq. It is appreciated. As for MK9, I liked that game as well. Later guys.

Reactions: MKB

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I wouldn't go that far, Jason. The game's mechanics are better than most of the detractors will admit. I actually liked the game, but I stopped playing it online mainly for the massive hatemail I would get after 50% of the matches I played...WIN OR LOSE. Damn 12 year olds with no life need to get one fast.
sorry I kinda vented lol. :rolleyes:

anyway, MK9 plays fine if you want a Street Fighter type game. but I love MK gameplay, not SF. and MK9 is more like SFs than original MKs. the whole stopping in the middle of play to show bones breaking and shit... lol give me a break. yeah it looks cool, but not in the middle of a match, please. I'm obviously frustrated because somehow these MK9 players get sponsored to fly to tournaments, and get interviewed about "having the best Jax" etc. I would love to have that option with MK2, and meet all the guys like MIKECALDWELL that I've been playing for 2 years. MK2 doesn't get the recognition it deserves. yes it has some faults, it could use a re-tweaking to balance out the characters. but overall, nothing plays like it. somehow hold a $25,000 MK2 tournament, round up XiongBros, and then we'll see how my Kitana does vs that Jax. and lag free conditions!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Exactly why I might quit playing DOA5 Bill. I never met more people who qualified for a stabbing than the people who play DOA5. These people HAVE got to be in the 10-20 year old range. Have got to be. Thanks for answering my questions Zaq. It is appreciated. As for MK9, I liked that game as well. Later guys.
yeah they're the same people that get their asses kicked at MK2 and then send the "get some pussy you 40 year old fat virgin!" hatemails LOL :D

We all know Kitana's fan lift can be blocked. Most of us are also aware of the fact that there is a time when you can jump into the wave beam once it's activated and sneak in a jump kick. My question is when does this option become available? Is it dependent on distance, time, or something else?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
We all know Kitana's fan lift can be blocked. Most of us are also aware of the fact that there is a time when you can jump into the wave beam once it's activated and sneak in a jump kick. My question is when does this option become available? Is it dependent on distance, time, or something else?
Calling mortal_jason

Here's more. Does Milenna have 2 types of drop kicks, a fast and slow version? Seems that if you hang on the directional pad you can descend more quickly.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I know a lot about MK2, but am still constantly learning. The fan raise in MK2 is VERY good, if it is out, and you're jumping into it, you'll get hit unless Kitana starts it too late. However, it's slightly different with certain characters. The ninjas you can catch super late, and they'll still get hit by it. Sometimes Raiden can jump just right so that even though the fan raise has been out, he still kicks her. He's the only one this ever happens to me with though.

What do you mean exactly by "hang on the dpad"? Mileena's drop kick has always been the same speed in my experience. Whether I do it from crouch or walk-back (both with analog), or just normal, it always seems the same speed.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Forget the drop kick. Tell us more about the fan lift. Late start? Ninjas more vulnerable? Do elaborate.
It could just have to do with the timing of when the ninja presses kick in the air. I just know I often catch ninjas when they are so close to Kitana that they are actually overlapping her a little. Sometimes this happens if you catch Mileena drop kicking into your fan raise at the last possible moment.

Suppose Shao Kahn and Kintaro were available to use in MK2. Based on what you know about them from playing the arcade mode, who would you take in a VS match? I'd take Kintaro simply because Shao Kahn could care less about jumping.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Suppose Shao Kahn and Kintaro were available to use in MK2. Based on what you know about them from playing the arcade mode, who would you take in a VS match? I'd take Kintaro simply because Shao Kahn could care less about jumping.
Kintaro, but they both move like rocks. Would be like Sheeva in molasses.

Okay, visualize an elite Kintaro player if you can. What regular character would give him the most trouble in the right hands?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Okay, visualize an elite Kintaro player if you can. What regular character would give him the most trouble in the right hands?
Kitana probably. I've double flawlessed him with her, as I'm sure many people have. He walks right into the fan raise. It can also catch him out of his air stomp which is his scariest weapon. I know you're visualizing Kintaro as a playable character, not AI. But her fan raise would still be great vs a human-controlled Kintaro. Otherwise, Mileena could shut him down to an extent with her sai.