What's new

Question MK2 Q&A

I apologize if this thread has already been created elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. I'll start off with a question of my own. I've been playing MK2 for awhile, and I still don't know when Johnny Cage's shadow kick can be punished on block. I've been punished quite a bit for it, but I don't recall ever punishing someone else after I blocked it. Does anyone know when or how this can be done consistently?

isn't it just a matter of unblocking quick enough to get a hit in?
I don't know. That's the question. It seems like sometimes he is closer after blocking it. This might be caused by doing a last second block. I understand what you're saying tho. Kind of like tap blocking it right?

Would anyone like to comment on whether or not Raiden can be punched or kicked out of a superman after he is already is flight? I know you can can punch and kick him during startup. And I'm refering to kicking or punching Raiden while the player is standing or crouching, not jump kicking him out of it. Thanks.

I have some concerns about Reptile. Let me know what you think.

1) Does anyone have some good strategies for taking a Reptile player, (an advanced one) out of invisibility?

2) Does anything change with Reptile while he's invisible, i.e. are hitboxes any different?

3) Why is Reptile visible in MK9 when he's invisible and truly invisible in MK2? lol

Thanks.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I have some concerns about Reptile. Let me know what you think.

1) Does anyone have some good strategies for taking a Reptile player, (an advanced one) out of invisibility?

2) Does anything change with Reptile while he's invisible, i.e. are hitboxes any different?

3) Why is Reptile visible in MK9 when he's invisible and truly invisible in MK2? lol

Thanks.
1) pick Mileena. lol jk but really it depends on which character you're fighting Reptile with. I think the best strategy is to wait for him to slide and then hit him out of it. Kitana Baraka and Cage are all in big trouble when Reptile's invisible. everyone else has a pretty good way to "find" him.

2) I doubt it

3) you can see him in MK9 when he's invisible?? then what's the purpose of the move?

Maybe the designers thought players would be more comfortable if they could see the positioning of their Reptile character while invisible. This would probably also help take the trickiness out of initiating combinations. That's what I think, but who knows.

That makes sense. I remember looking at hands and using deceptive button pushing as well just to provoke and trick back in highschool. Looking at hands used to piss a lot of people off, lol. It was funny especially if you would stare right at the buttons instead of using your peripheral vision. Looking directly at the buttons would pretty much negate your ability to play effectively though. Like I said... pretty funny. I used to try and play one-handed a lot as well, (mostly against friends and players I knew) because aa Roundhouses and straight High Kicks were simple enough. So were sweeps. I think some people used to play with their eyes closed or put blind folds on. Funny stuff.

Hey again. Got some more questions.

1) Did anyone ever calculate exactly how long it takes for each character's specials to return. Is this described/listed anywhere?
2) Same thing with charge attacks. How long does it take? Zaq said Raiden's shock takes 5 seconds in another post. Seems less than that. Just looking for absolute, unquestionable figures. Only other chargers are mil, jax, and liu.
3) How long does a Shang morph last? Seems like a lot of players try to plan a strategy around attacking Shang when he's vulnerable.

Thanks.

Don't know if this question was asked before but I'll throw it out there for consideration. Sometimes when a player sweeps, their character doesn't come completely up to a standing position. If he/she sweeps a second time, the character is still low and goes right into the sweep. Why does this happen? Can this be controlled?

Thanks Zaq. I was playing DOA5 last night, (this may apply to MK2 as well) and someone mentioned frame trapping. Could you explain what that is? Thanks again.

Forget it, I found this. Add to it if you like, still a little confusing.
There is a common misconception that frame traps leave you at frame advantage and then doing another move that has a startup less than that frame advantage. This is a link, and if the frame advantage is still greater than the startup when the opponent is blocking, then that is a block string.

A frame trap is a sequence of moves where the first move's frame advantage (or disadvantage) plus the startup frames (not counting the first active frame) for the follow-up move creates a window (the frame trap) where the opponent, even if they perform a move to react, will be stuffed (or even counterhit) because the active frames of their move will not come out before the active frames of the second move of the frame trap.

Of course, this means that frame traps are opponent-dependent; not all frame traps will work on all characters, and there are certain situations where you might not have any frame traps because an opponent has a certain move which will always allow them to escape the frame trap.

Clayman

you don't get it, do you?
Thanks Zaq. I was playing DOA5 last night, (this may apply to MK2 as well) and someone mentioned frame trapping. Could you explain what that is? Thanks again.
That's like when Baraka 2,2,1+2's u, or Cage f3,3,EX FB. Basicaly the shit which gives + on block.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
There wasn't anybody to pull away from mk2 to begin with. lol
oh come now... when I first got ps3 in late 2010, you could go in the og MK2 room and always find a match.
the only time you couldn't was like 4am, but otherwise there were always people playing.
then MK9 and MKAK came out and...ghost town.