What's new

MK2 Online Tournament (US/CAN/MEX Only), 6pm MST, Thursday March 7th (COMPLETED)

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
DATE: Thursday, March 7th, 2024
TIME: 6pm MST (5pm Pacific)

Reminder.... the tournament begins at...
8pm Eastern time
7pm Central time
6pm Mountain time
5pm Pacific time

BRACKET

Please note - this is a North America only Fightcade tournament. If you do not reside in the US, Canada, or Mexico, you will not be permitted to enter due to high ping.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT

This is going to be a 4 on 4 Survivor Series style elimination match. Each player creates a team of 4 characters. They can choose one character apiece from the different tier lists.
  • Top tier - Liu Kang, Mileena, Jax
  • High Mid - Kung Lao, Kitana, Shang
  • Low Mid - Raiden, Scorpion, Baraka
  • Low - Cage, Sub Zero, Reptile
From there, the players start with their lowest-tiered character. If they lose, they are forced to move up to the next tier level. The match ends when the entire team is knocked out.
  • Once you select a character from a specific tier level, you are stuck with that character and may not switch between other equivalent characters in the same tier.
  • You can create an entirely new team when facing a different opponent.
  • Morphing into top tier as Shang Tsung is prohibited.
GENERAL RULES
  • Double elimination
  • All participants must access Fightcade on the day of the tournament for bracket information.
  • If the connection breaks, both players must restart the match with the same characters (prior round win is omitted). If the breaking connection is suspicious, like breaking right before a victory, then report the match for investigation.
  • In the case of lag, keep trying. If after a few tries the connection is not good, please report back to the chat room IMMEDIATELY and a new matchup may be made for you with another opponent. Bear in mind this only applies to first-round matches.
  • If you are currently banned from the Kombat Network, you cannot enter the tournament.
DISQUALIFICATIONS
  • All participants will have a 10-minute grace period to show up in the Fightcade chat room at the start of the tournament. If the player has not arrived by then, they will be sent to the Losers bracket or DQd, depending on where they are in the tournament.
  • Voluntarily quitting in the middle of a match (except for a one-time lag exception), any suspicious activity (impersonation), or anything else deemed inappropriate or unsportsmanlike is grounds for disqualification.
  • If you use Shang Tsung and accidentally morph into top tier, you forfeit that particular ROUND. If a top-tier morph happens again at any time throughout the tournament, Shang Tsung is declared dead, and the player must move to the next tier level.
  • If you trigger the Smoke battle, you forfeit the entire match.
PLAYER LIST
  1. mortal_jason
  2. midwesterror
  3. MKB
  4. senzotanaka
  5. Yurgen2001
  6. MikeMetroid
  7. testfightcade
  8. tehdrewsus
  9. TheLizard (maybe)
  10. Charnel Ground
  11. nocturne312
  12. Jasonthehitman
  13. healcaster
  14. Ideatbellsprout (maybe)
  15. DeadHolyCow
  16. 6dark6light6

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If I wasn’t so busy with IRL stuff, and also had fightcade, I’d enter to help support the game. Good luck with this and hopefully you’ll get some players who are down

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Hi everyone. Back in the day, I hosted more tournaments for the classic MK scene on this site then I could possibly count. I realize the landscape has drastically changed nowadays with Discord and such, but if anyone is interested in doing an MK2 online event (Fightcade), reply here and let me know.

I will also be reaching out to people on Fightcade to get their thoughts.
You should hit up Summoning on X/Twitter, he still plays the game & knows a lot of folks who still play as he streams it from time to time sometimes with guest appearances from @jamessmk.

I haven't play MK2 in over a decade, my Baraka is way too rusty.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
You should hit up Summoning on X/Twitter, he still plays the game & knows a lot of folks who still play as he streams it from time to time sometimes with guest appearances from @jamessmk.

I haven't play MK2 in over a decade, my Baraka is way too rusty.
I tried to message him over there, but you can't unless you have a blue checkmark and Im not paying for shit on X. I think he still has an account here though...

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I tried to message him over there, but you can't unless you have a blue checkmark and Im not paying for shit on X. I think he still has an account here though...
I sent them a post.

Reactions: MKB

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Including myself, I have five signups so far.

The format will be announced next week.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
@ded Yes, T is chat, but...

I should update that this is designated as a North America only tournament. US, Canada, Mexico. Nothing against anyone else, but the ping would just be unreasonably bad. Unfortunately this would disqualify you and Summoning, as I believe you are from Bulgaria and Summoning is currently in Finland.

Last edited:
Reactions: ded

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
@MKB
would love to do this but thats my birthday and i have the time off from work.
if anything changes i will let ya know but i do have a question. Will this be the latest official version of MK2 or are you using the modded ones that came out later with the updated balance patches etc..?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
would love to do this but thats my birthday and i have the time off from work.
if anything changes i will let ya know but i do have a question. Will this be the latest official version of MK2 or are you using the modded ones that came out later with the updated balance patches etc..?
Oh wow happy birthday! At present we are looking at doing it on the standard version 3.1. Format is still being figured out, but I am known for throwing wrinkles into things and making it winnable for anyone ;)

ded

Elder God
@ded Yes, T is chat, but...

I should update that this is designated as a North America only tournament. US, Canada, Mexico. Nothing against anyone else, but the ping would just be unreasonably bad. Unfortunately this would disqualify you and Summoning, as I believe you are from Bulgaria and Summoning is currently in Finland.
No worries. I actually wanted to use Fight Cade to get back to MK1, but if I am unable to use "T" button online for High Punch, it's useless for me.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Right now we are looking at 6pm MST, March 7th

We now have nine players signed up so the tournament is officially on. As for the format... this is one I've done in the past and was very fun and successful...

It will be tiered. What I mean is...FT4, but each match begins with players choosing low tier (sub, Cage, rep). If you lose the match, you move up one tier until eventually you get to top tier.

March 7 is a Thursday. The post says Saturday. Which is it?

Also? Annnnyyyyy chance it can get moved back an hour?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
March 7 is a Thursday. The post says Saturday. Which is it?

Also? Annnnyyyyy chance it can get moved back an hour?
Fixed, it's Thursday. By moving back, you mean to a 5pm MST start time? That would mean a 4pm PST start time, which I fear is too early for the people who work.

Last edited:

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
My bad! Moved up an hour I suppose. So like 9 Eastern.
I'm concerned starting that late could pose a problem for folks on the east coast. If this tournament turns out to be double elimination with close to 16 players in the bracket, it could go several hours and I don't want to see it go past midnight if possible since it's a work night for most people.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Maybe compromise and go 8:30 maybe? I don't know. I'm In the Eastern Time zone so that time slot doesn't really bother me, and 8:00 is really pushing it for me to be able to make it on time without risking taking an auto loss