What's new

MK12 roster I think will come

mattteo

Noob
Fight me!

Returning always from previous game: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Baraka, a shokan, Kotal, D'vorah, Erron Black.

In all games until now Jax and Kano have come back as well but for Kano I think it's time to retire him, he has been beaten and killed by Sonya in every game since the reboot (though we might see Kano's son or his ancestor). Jax has a big chance to come back if the game is set in present time. But there is also the possibility that the game goes in the distant past, 1.000 years or so before and then they replace Kung Lao with the Great Kung Lao and Sonya and Johnny with their ancestors. I am not sure about this, but their roster places are certain.

As for Jax, if the game is set in the distant past, he could be missing. Same for Jacqui and Cassie. If the game is in the present they will definitely be in, but if it's in the past the kids will be missing.

If Jax doesn't make it, there are big chances for another character to represent a cathegory of people that want such a character, such as Kai or Geras. Same for women, I believe at least 1 from Jade and Tanya.

Next I have the ones who will not come back: the MK11 DLC characters. These rarely come back in the next game. Yes, sometimes they come back later on, but returning in the very next game was just one case: Kenshi DLC in MK9 and then in MKX. But Rain and Skarlet from MK9 did not make MKX, Tanya, Bo'Rai Cho, Tremor and Triborg did not make MK11.

Safe to say that Sindel, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Fujin, Sheeva, Rain will not make MK12 roster. Mileena might though because the fanbase is soo vocal. NRS now knows it was a mistake to leave her out. Which kinda sucks, cause I really wanted Rain and Fujin to be back from among the DLC and I am sure they won't.

And if anyone thinks Shang Tsung's ending will be canon....think again. That would mean that Liu Kang has basically been a real idiot, so stupid that he got all his friends killed for nothing, for his arrogance and vanity, and they stay dead. No, NRS would never do that. They are making cartoons since the reboot, the story is shallow, Avengers level of jokes. They would never do something that extreme.
Shang is probably dealt with and though he might come back for MK12 (doubt they bring back more than 1 DLC and that will be Mileena, maybe Sindel too) , they would still not convince Cary Tagawa to come back. It was a voice and likeness one time thing.

Then we have the 3 ninjas that missed MK11 and will be back: Ermac, Reptile and Smoke. I don't know Noob Saibot's chances but he is linked to Sub-Zero and that story about the brothers has not really been explored by the new games and he increases his chances, he has ties to Sareena and Quan Chi as well ...

Cyrax and Sektor also have a big fanbase and they eill come back if the game is set in the present, but if it's in the past I don't know, or only in the human forms as Lin Kuei members if they are old enough.

From the 3D era NRS knows a lot of fans want Havik. Some leaker also gave confirmation of Reiko and this tells me that the MK9 Pit stage background characters are coming 1 by 1. The characters in the background there were Kenshi, Tanya, Frost, Reiko, Daegon and Sareena. Kenshi appeared as DLC in MK9 and then in MKX as a base character (most likely because they wanted to introduce Takeda). Tanya appeared as DLC in MKX. Reiko was supposed to appear in MKX but was cut and remained only in the comic and mentioned with the "Reiko accords". Sareena had an NPC cameo and looked great in MKX. Frost eventually came as a new character in MK11. All those characters have not been forgotten and with the confirmation of Reiko I believe there are big chances for Sareena and Daegon to have a 1-time appearance in MK12 too (before they are forgotten again). Now Daegon some think is only possible with Taven, but I don't think so. Or maybe they can do a combination of the 2 in a 2-in-1 character.

The final villain will maybe be Onaga because a return of Shao Kahn is not likely. If he comes back, then Shujinko needs to be back. And if he is not the final villain, Onaga will at least be a sub-boss. The MKX comic finished with Daegon trying to bring him back in the name of the Red Dragon clan. If they pursue this in the next game, we could have at least 2 bad guys: Onaga and Daegon, because you can't have a game with only 'good' characters. And if Daegon is in, maybe we see the story with Kenshi and Takeda chasing him. And my money is on the 2 kombat kids that were missing in MK11 to come back: Takeda and Kung Jin. Or at least Takeda if the game is not set in the present time. There are theories that Takeda time travels but they are only rumours.

And another villain coming back needs to be Quan Chi.

One character that is highly requested but I don't think comes back is Nitara. She has only been in the movies (cameo in Scorpion's Revenge and cameo in the live action movie) and Ed Boon has had nothing to do with the characters chosen there. He said he dislikes the movie. There have also been rumours that he dislikes Nitara in the past and they didn't even bother to give her a cameo or a model or even allude to her in the previous 3 games. Like I said, Kenshi, Tanya, Frost, Sareena Daegon, Reiko were in the background of MK9, Bo'Rai Cho, Fujin and Havik were in endings and all those were later DLC or are expected to come, even Li Mei had a NPC role. But there has been no mention of Nitara.

NRS treats Nitara the same way they treat Drahmin (sadly), Moloch, Hsu Hao, Mavado and Kintaro. Like canon fodder. The only characters that Shawn Kittelsen was allowed to kill off in the MKX comic were these because they were never set to come back.

Kintaro wasn't even in MK9 when everyone from MK Trilogy was there. They see him just as the clone of Goro sadly and even if the next game is set into the past or in the present Goro is much more likely to be the shokan coming back. And no Nitara, sadly. They just have their minds set on Skarlet, the newer version. They would sooner put in Cole from the movies.

From MK11 I could see Kronika becoming playable in the future and Geras for representation of people if Jax is not in the game.

So that is pretty much my roster, to which we need to add a few new characters. We had a total of 25 base roster and 7 DLC MK characters in MK11 (without guests), so if the main toster for MK12 will be around 28-30 characters and we could get a few more DLC characters than in MK11 for a total of almost 40 MK characters without the guests, we should consider ourselves lucky.

Final predictions: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Johnny Cage or ancestor, Sonya or ancestor, Liu Kang, Kung Lao or the Great Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Baraka, a shokan (Goro or his father), Kotal, D'vorah, Erron Black, Skarlet, Jade/Tanya, Ermac, Reptile, Smoke, Noob Saibot (possibly), Cyrax, Sektor, Havik, Reiko, Sareena, Li Mei, Daegon (or Daegon/Taven), Shujinko, Onaga, Kronika, Geras, Quan Chi, Kenshi, Takeda, 3-4 new characters and if the game is set in the present then Kung Jin, Cassie, Jacqui, Jax as well and quite possibly, Cole Young, especially as the movie has gotten a sequel (though I don't mind if any of these characters are missing).

Good guys: at least 28 from above, so the game needs bad guys too. I count: Mileena, hopefully Noob, Sektor, Havik, Reiko, Daegon, Onaga, Kronika, Geras, Quan Chi, maybe Tanya.

And neutral: Baraka, Erron Black, Skarlet Goro/Gorbak.

Fight me if I am delusional!

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Kintaro was definitely in MK9

This sounds more like a wish list other than anything.

If the game will be a reboot or not, there is not telling who's going to be in it as of now, not without knowing in what part of the timeline the game runs.

mattteo

Noob
This sounds more like a wish list other than anything.

If the game will be a reboot or not, there is not telling who's going to be in it as of now
I think there is sufficient precedent that DLC characters don't come back, like I said. If any, probably just Mileena.

And also from the list of 'The Pit 2' stage background chars there is no coincidence that we got in the next games Kenshi, Tanya, Frost, with Reiko also scheduled. So Sareena and Daegon have big chances.

Zviko

Noob
but for Kano I think it's time to retire him,
Excuse me?
Safe to say that Sindel, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Fujin, Sheeva, Rain will not make MK12 roster.
Why Rain? Doesn't he finally deserve the main roster spot after all the NPC/DLC only bs he's been through? He wasn't even a part of the MK11 or Aftermath story or did I forget anything? Based on that, everyone else can come back as well. It's not all about the story and even if it was, remember, this is MK. Death doesn't mean a thing. There are og sorcerers and they can create new ones like they did for MK11 that can resurrect everything and everyone. So never speculate about a roster based on a story ending. There's no point.

mattteo

Noob
He deserves it, of course Rain deserves it, but whenever one character is DLC.....i's bad news. It means they consider him mostly as a guest for that 1 game.

Only one who came back in the very next game was Kenshi and that may have been just to introduce Takeda.

I did not say anything about being dead.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I think there is sufficient precedent that DLC characters don't come back, like I said.

Not sure where this idea of setting precedents in games has come from. If a developer wants to do something in their game they will, they're not gonna care about a non existent precedent the gamers think they've spotted. Especially as there's only been what 3 NRS MK games? Precedent or not, if they want a character to return they will whether they were dlc or not.

mattteo

Noob
They can make playable who they want, but we can't.not see the precedents.

I think the DLC Mileena will be base roster most likely (90%). As for the rest.....there are chances for Shang, Sindel, but since they were DLC in MK11 I believe that decreases their chances.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
We shouldn’t be speculating at this point. We should know.
Boon a doody for this.

mattteo

Noob
Boon a doody for this.
I disagree.
I really wish he was a doody for this.
But he brings back on the base roster of 24-25 15 from the previous game: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Kano, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Jax, Kotal, D'vorah, Erron Black, Cassie, Jacqui.

Add the pre-order character and 3-4, newcomers and he just adds a few characters each time.

It's time to spice up things, we need a change. Some characters we have not seen in a longer time. And keep just 3 coming back from these 15.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I disagree.
But he brings back on the base roster of 24-25 15 from the previous game: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Kano, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Jax, Kotal, D'vorah, Erron Black, Cassie, Jacqui.

Add the pre-order character and 3-4, newcomers and he just adds a few characters each time.

It's time to spice up things, we need a change. Some characters we have not seen in a longer time. And keep just 3 coming back from these 15.
I think it will always be like this TBH. it almost would not feel like an MK game if those characters are not in. well...the newer ones are in for dif reasons. Dvorah has probably one of the coolest designs in the game. (even tho i'm not a fan of her character lore being a Tanya/Reptile rip off). and Erron Black a fan fav. But, here's the thing. the larger base roster needs to be large out of the gate. it was wayyy too small in MKX and MK11. There should be a good 30 on day 1, not counting DLC. This is where MK9 and Mortal Kombat Armageddon did shine. Yes I know many characters played the same but there was a lot of variety. I also think they can make more arenas based on how much they add in backgrounds from the last games. They could have easily zoomed in or used story mode scenes or altered light to make a new arena. For example...The Hourglass (reg version) could have had multiple color schemes or something. it would have created variety. They also coulda made several arenas from both MKX and MK11s Krypt.

Anyhow. I digress. I do think we need a tag team combat again. more flashy combos like in MKX. Maybe some characters from lore that are always mentioned that we never see...like Jerrod, Argus, Delia. So many ideas and things they could do. Oh and all the male characters need shirtless skins. hehe.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I disagree.

Matttttttttteo a doody for this.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think they care too much about the story in NRS games. From their perspective that’s never going to change, they’re always the highest selling fighting game, and apart from the draw of the name “Mortal Kombat”, another reason is how well they appeal to casuals with stuff like a well thought out storyline for the single player mode.

BUT, they don’t have to abide by the story at all when it comes to character selection for multiplayer. You really DON’T have to have characters on the roster that make sense for the story, which they obviously know when guest character DLC starts dropping. I’m just saying that off rip with non guest characters, they never HAVE to make an appearance in the story. Just don’t allow them to be used in the story mode.

Anyway, all I want is for them to have Human Smoke as part of the main roster. And honestly, the only “staples” I think have to be in the game are Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden and Liu Kang. In fact, I hope these are the ONLY “staples” that are in the next MK game. Sonya and everyone related to her in any way is boring, Jax and everyone related to him in any way is boring, Johnny Cage and everyone related to him in any way is boring, Kano and everyone related to him in any way is boring, etc. Liu Kang is also kinda boring, but as a huge Bruce Lee fan he gets a pass, plus he’s like, the OG protagonist. Not to say that I’m not also tired of seeing Sub, Scorpion and Raiden, but they’re unique and cool enough to at least not be boring.

I just want a lot of fresh faces, and new faces. But, at the end of the day, all I REALLY want is Human Smoke.

mattteo

Noob
And honestly, the only “staples” I think have to be in the game are Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden and Liu Kang. In fact, I hope these are the ONLY “staples” that are in the next MK game.

Sonya and everyone related to her in any way is boring, Jax and everyone related to him in any way is boring, Johnny Cage and everyone related to him in any way is boring, Kano and everyone related to him in any way is boring, etc.

I just want a lot of fresh faces, and new faces.
I hope the same.

I fully agree.