What's new

MK11 Wishlist -- Quality of Life Fixes

mrapchem

Noob
Im fine with removing w/l record in casual but the ppl who decline when they see your winrate would also be the ones who leave after they lose a game when they reliase its not going to go well. I rather have those ppl to decline right away cause i rather fight ppl who play more then one game and dont leave after they lose a game.
You're not wrong - many of those people would indeed leave after one lost game. However, some of the people that would have normally declined would actually stick around and play sets against those folks with scary W/L ratios. Removing the ratios makes the online match-making meta better overall in rooms and kasual sets.

Gaxkang

Banned
Yeah fatal blows and krushing blows need a serious looking at. Fatal blows are pure cheese...and many krushing blows are done accidentally and reward huge damage for doing nothing special.

Hitboxes and hurtboxes need help. Ya shouldn't be getting hit by a low when you're in the air, for instance.

And NRS should reconsider their concepts of punishment on block and projectiles. They could have a really great system if they made tweaks. There's nonsense that needs toning down really.

On a side note when it comes to the Kombat Kard they should remove the border...it makes many of the images you unlock pretty unusable outside of KOH lobbies I guess. Since the border cuts them down pretty badly.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think KBs and FBs are gimmicky and should be turned off in tournament modes. Done deal.
KB's are a great gimmick though, when done well it adds depth and fun to the gameplay. They just need to have more fun with it, stuff like Terminator's hop KB is awesome! They kind of lifted the mechanic from Soul Calibur 6 and in that game the "Lethal Hits" add a lot unique aspects to the gameplay.

Why should these be changed? I thought you folks here wanted this game to be as scrub friendly as possible?
Scrubs man what are you gonna do, someone should make a new site for leet players like you and me.

D1 walk back into a button and it works is not footsies, that's offense and running a guess on somebody. This game doesn't have footsies.
You have a lot of good takes but then you pull out some objectively false shit like "game doesn't have footsies". That's like saying there's no platforming in a Mario game, even UFC games have footsies. How about something like, "I don't think this game is footsie based" as the starter and then maybe it goes somewhere.

trufenix

bye felicia
You have a lot of good takes but then you pull out some objectively false shit like "game doesn't have footsies". That's like saying there's no platforming in a Mario game, even UFC games have footsies. How about something like, "I don't think this game is footsie based" as the starter and then maybe it goes somewhere.
He's been playing for 6 months, complaining the entire time, and still hasn't found the footsies. I suspect his controller is just broken.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
He's been playing for 6 months, complaining the entire time, and still hasn't found the footsies. I suspect his controller is just broken.
In a game where kotal can jik into CMD throw free, the term footsie is over used to apply to all types of movement based interactions. Based on the modern understanding of footsie that kotal situation would be it. Yeah dumb

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
So it's been a few months, and I've been greatly enjoying this game. That said, here are the quality-of-life things I'd love to see changed in a future update:

1) Fatal Blows

I think it goes without saying at this point, but being able to whiff something as powerful as a Fatal Blow, or have it blocked, and simply get it again within a few seconds, is at odds with the careful bit-by-bit way that this game's meta is played. Fatal Blows are simply too powerful to regenerate; and if you use them you should lose them, no questions asked. In addition, although some of them are easily punishable, the pushback on some of these should be lessened. You should always have to take a major risk to use a move that in many cases leads to 30+% unbreakable damage.

2) Krushing Blows

The idea of Krushing Blows is something I like, and many of them are fine. But I think they should function as a reward for actually setting them up. Krushing Blows that gift 30% life by accident via spam (like Sonya's second ring KB) are mindless and don't actually reward intelligent gameplay.

If it were up to me I'd replace some of these with ones that require some forethought and planning to set up in a match (which was the initial attraction of the krushing blow system). It might also be worth supplementing them for characters with requirements so impractical that they're seldom used in competitive play at all.

3) Kombat League

Starting from the lowest rank each season defeats the point of a ranked system altogether. It means that the majority of people are in-transit to their presumed rank, rather than being at their real rank.

Although I rank up pretty quickly, I am often fighting/beating Demi-God and God-level players at the start in ranks like Warrior and Champion. If I know that I have to go through them to get to my eventual rank, how frustrating must that be for players who are actually low-ranked and just want to play with players around their skill level?

The beginning and end of each season is a complete ranking soup, and it must be discouraging to lower-ranked players (the majority of the playerbase) who have no idea why the players they're meeting are crushing them with ease.

I get that the designers want to make Kombat League into a sort of grindy progression in order to get skins and unlocks, but I believe that the way it's currently done actually works against the point of having a ranked/tiered league at all. So I think that NRS should find a way to separate the grind from the league tiers, and let people start where they were ranked last season (like pretty much every other ranked competitive system out there).

Possible 4) Jump Kicks

While it makes sense that the jump kick would be a powerful option for air to airs, etc, the fact that they are plus on block seems overtuned. I like the idea of having jump kicks jip crush air-to-airs and maybe still even contest AA's, but be negative on block. Your turn ends when your jk is blocked. That way jump in punches lead to pressure on block -- but you take the risk of being AA'ed more easily for that reward. And if you jik instead and it's blocked, your pressure ends there.
1. FATAL BLOWS
Running out of them is a good idea. One use, gone.
On that same token, I want it decided whether a Fatal Blow is a special move or a normal.
What I mean is we have FBs like Kabal and Cetrion and we have FBs like Scorpion and Jade.
If we make them reactable normals like the latter two, that you have to combo into for the big damage, they may as well not go away when blocked or whiffed. But if we make Scorpion's FB a teleport punch like his old X-Ray, and Jade's her Vanishing Winds teleport, Kotal's a Sun Ray, Shao's a fullscreen Shoulder Charge, etc. - then they really need to be one-and-gone.

2. KRUSHING BLOWS
I agree, we need them to be more meaningful and take effort and the damages equalised. There are KBs in the game that deal less damage than the meterless combo damage of characters who have KBs that deal 30% plus launcher. It needs balance, needs to be reasonable, really.

3. LEAGUE
I like to work my way up actually. If you're good, stomping 15-20 lowbies will be enough to put you in the higher echelon.

4. THROWS
Throws were supposed to be countered by D2s. So why am I getting grabbed on my last frame by a move that's 1f slower? XD
Throws need to be more reasonable and stop catching lows.

5. D1
I hate how D1s are in this game. Mostly because I play online against Russians with mcdonalds wifi that reads 83ms on the matching screen and then anywhere between 83, 583 and death in the actual game. Randomly. Twice a second.

Anyway, what I'd like is for D1s to be -8 on block. More if they have good range, less if they have bad range.
I want the whole d1d1d1d1throw online "meta" gone.

This is true about some D3 too.

6. Mids
Certain mids get lowprofiled while others are that character's anti-air, d4, and launch-string all in one.
This needs balancing, badly.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
In a game where kotal can jik into CMD throw free, the term footsie is over used to apply to all types of movement based interactions. Based on the modern understanding of footsie that kotal situation would be it. Yeah dumb
As opposed to MK9 where cyrax could jip into a 15% +60 on hit command throw that guarantees a jumpin and kills you if you guess wrong and unblock, MKX where chars could cancel jiks into armoured command grabs or unarmoured ones that lead to 30%+, Guilty gear where a jumpin into command grab can literally kill you from 100 to 0 under the right circumstances, SF4 where you can get command grabbed from multiple jumpins, all with different blockstun into 30/50%+ while the grappler builds 75% of a bar, IGAU where command grabs did anywhere from 25% to 60% and could be armoured, IGAU2 where they did 20-30% dmg.

You can really tell when someone hasn't branched out at all from their brand choice yet criticises a concept only based on their previous experiences from just that brand and somehow still manages to be wrong.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
As opposed to MK9 where cyrax could jip into a 15% +60 on hit command throw that guarantees a jumpin and kills you if you guess wrong and unblock, MKX where chars could cancel jiks into armoured command grabs or unarmoured ones that lead to 30%+, Guilty gear where a jumpin into command grab can literally kill you from 100 to 0 under the right circumstances, SF4 where you can get command grabbed from multiple jumpins, all with different blockstun into 30/50%+ while the grappler builds 75% of a bar, IGAU where command grabs did anywhere from 25% to 60% and could be armoured, IGAU2 where they did 20-30% dmg.

You can really tell when someone hasn't branched out at all from their brand choice yet criticises a concept only based on their previous experiences from just that brand and somehow still manages to be wrong.
I'm confused at what your insinuating. All I said was the term footsie its self is broad and doesnt really mean anything specific so people blurt it out to sound hip to some secret sauce. People who do that sound dumb and are losers who argue over the internet.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
3. LEAGUE
I like to work my way up actually. If you're good, stomping 15-20 lowbies will be enough to put you in the highe..
You have to think about how many other people this ruins the experience for, though. Like, I don’t mind the minor hassle of ranking up, but imagine what it’s like for someone who is actually Warrior or Champion rank and is constantly getting stomped by people who don’t belong at their tier.

I just think it’s the kind of thing that’s discouraging rather than encouraging to much of the playerbase.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
How are those quality of life fixes when it's clearly meta changing balance adjustments?
Most of these aren’t really drastic meta changes (with the exception of a potential jump kick nerf), so that’s just what I’m calling them.

If someone doesn’t dig the gameplay now, they’re not going to dig it just because fatal blow goes away on block, or because they don’t have to rank up in KL. It’s not really a full meta revamp.

But I do think some of these changes would (subjectively, of course) improve things for people who do already like the game. Thus, quality of life. It’s open to interpretation.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
You have to think about how many other people this ruins the experience for, though. Like, I don’t mind the minor hassle of ranking up, but imagine what it’s like for someone who is actually Warrior or Champion rank and is constantly getting stomped by people who don’t belong at their tier.

I just think it’s the kind of thing that’s discouraging rather than encouraging to much of the playerbase.
I lose one third of my matches or so, to people who play top tier AND are better players than I am. (Unless I get aggro at their nonsense and pick Kabal and b1-stagger their ass, then I lose about one fifth the time) but it doesn't bother me.

If someone is bothered by the fact that better players stomp their face and aren't ready to lose, this game is not for them in all earnest.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your argument there.
It's GOOD for lowbies to get SonicFox'd Up every so often. Destroys their illusions.

I actually love to run into someone that's just better altogether and no matter if I pick Kabal or Liu, they'll just wreck me on half a healthbar or more.

Art Lean

Noob
A tag-request button for the player currently spectating that alerts the player fighting to tag the other player in.

If I play one more tag battle with another imbecile who won't tag me in when they're losing health I think I'm going to have a stroke.

I am so sick of playing with people who fight first and let the AI completely kill their character rather than tag me in 2/3 of the way through their health so they can heal. Effective tagging results in us having two "lives" each to help beat our opponent, instead so many see it solely as taking turns and I'm left screaming "TAAAAAAAAG" at the TV whilst I go insane.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I lose one third of my matches or so, to people who play top tier AND are better players than I am. (Unless I get aggro at their nonsense and pick Kabal and b1-stagger their ass, then I lose about one fifth the time) but it doesn't bother me.

If someone is bothered by the fact that better players stomp their face and aren't ready to lose, this game is not for them in all earnest.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your argument there.
It's GOOD for lowbies to get SonicFox'd Up every so often. Destroys their illusions.

I actually love to run into someone that's just better altogether and no matter if I pick Kabal or Liu, they'll just wreck me on half a healthbar or more.
The point of a league/ranking system is to play people around your own skill level (mostly). The issue is that it’s not ‘every so often’. The lower ranks are overrun with people who are ranking up, every season, to the point that every other match players are playing someone who’s not supposed to be there.

I’m not sure if you just don’t play other competitive games, or what, but having a hard reset every few weeks with no memory of prior rank literally defeats the point of an Elo system. Elo Matchmaking becomes more accurate the more data you put into it, meaning that if you’re wiping the dataset constantly, it’s extremely inaccurate and doesn’t represent what it’s supposed to.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Even if they maintained the data from past seasons it wouldn't matter because they reset it like every month anyway.

We either need much longer seasons or some kind of placement matches.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
First 5 or 10 KL games should be placement matches like Vhozite said

You don´t get into elder god right away tho after winning all your matches, you are considered elder-god Tier (for example) and therefore you will be Matched with other Players that are in that "rank" but you still have to rack up the Points to be "unlocked" or whatever you wanna call it so you can get the specific rewards for that rank.

Basically just your Points get reset but not your rank but you still Need to get those points again if you want the skins and stuff if that makes any sense

With how few players are online in fighting games compared to big E-Sports titles, you just have to cut some corners. Honestly I rather get my ass whooped 10 times in a row by a better player than having to wait for half an hour to get a match.
That being said, feels like MK11 matchmaking is already pretty slow and when it finds a match it's a 150+ ping match for whatever reason.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
The point of a league/ranking system is to play people around your own skill level (mostly). The issue is that it’s not ‘every so often’. The lower ranks are overrun with people who are ranking up, every season, to the point that every other match players are playing someone who’s not supposed to be there.

I’m not sure if you just don’t play other competitive games, or what, but having a hard reset every few weeks with no memory of prior rank literally defeats the point of an Elo system. Elo Matchmaking becomes more accurate the more data you put into it, meaning that if you’re wiping the dataset constantly, it’s extremely inaccurate and doesn’t represent what it’s supposed to.
I see wisdom in resets, personally.
Lets people face off against stronger opponents for a bit, giving them a chance to experience what that is like, and it allows for new data to be collected with a clean slate.

I see your point nevertheless but I'm insane enough to enjoy getting my shit stomped by @Evantabes and the highlight of my day was running into @B W1zZ and going 1-1-1 with his Raiden. I absolutely adore being able to run into top level people, I learn tenfold when someone of that caliber stomps me.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I see wisdom in resets, personally.
Lets people face off against stronger opponents for a bit, giving them a chance to experience what that is like, and it allows for new data to be collected with a clean slate.
I mean, it’s fun playing against better players when your at a higher level and want to level up.

But the problem is that it’s not just the beginning of the season, it’s the whole season. Now that the sheer newness of KL has worn off, people are starting at all different times, which makes the lower ranks (basically everything below God, or maybe Demi-God) a complete mess from start to end.

I actually felt bad taking 100 points from people when I know that I don’t belong at the rank I beat them from, and that it might actually be the 3rd or 4th time it’s happened to them that night. That’s not how ranking systems are supposed to work.

In addition to that, almost everyone learns more from being beaten by someone who is better than them but closer (so that they can realize what’s going on and adjust) than a match where they can’t even move or get anything out, and have no idea what’s going on. For somebody at Warrior rank to be playing against a God or Elder God is just silly.

Last edited: