What's new

MK11 Wishlist -- Quality of Life Fixes

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So it's been a few months, and I've been greatly enjoying this game. That said, here are the quality-of-life things I'd love to see changed in a future update:

1) Fatal Blows

I think it goes without saying at this point, but being able to whiff something as powerful as a Fatal Blow, or have it blocked, and simply get it again within a few seconds, is at odds with the careful bit-by-bit way that this game's meta is played. Fatal Blows are simply too powerful to regenerate; and if you use them you should lose them, no questions asked. In addition, although some of them are easily punishable, the pushback on some of these should be lessened. You should always have to take a major risk to use a move that in many cases leads to 30+% unbreakable damage.

2) Krushing Blows

The idea of Krushing Blows is something I like, and many of them are fine. But I think they should function as a reward for actually setting them up. Krushing Blows that gift 30% life by accident via spam (like Sonya's second ring KB) are mindless and don't actually reward intelligent gameplay.

If it were up to me I'd replace some of these with ones that require some forethought and planning to set up in a match (which was the initial attraction of the krushing blow system). It might also be worth supplementing them for characters with requirements so impractical that they're seldom used in competitive play at all.

3) Kombat League

Starting from the lowest rank each season defeats the point of a ranked system altogether. It means that the majority of people are in-transit to their presumed rank, rather than being at their real rank.

Although I rank up pretty quickly, I am often fighting/beating Demi-God and God-level players at the start in ranks like Warrior and Champion. If I know that I have to go through them to get to my eventual rank, how frustrating must that be for players who are actually low-ranked and just want to play with players around their skill level?

The beginning and end of each season is a complete ranking soup, and it must be discouraging to lower-ranked players (the majority of the playerbase) who have no idea why the players they're meeting are crushing them with ease.

I get that the designers want to make Kombat League into a sort of grindy progression in order to get skins and unlocks, but I believe that the way it's currently done actually works against the point of having a ranked/tiered league at all. So I think that NRS should find a way to separate the grind from the league tiers, and let people start where they were ranked last season (like pretty much every other ranked competitive system out there).

Possible 4) Jump Kicks

While it makes sense that the jump kick would be a powerful option for air to airs, etc, the fact that they are plus on block seems overtuned. I like the idea of having jump kicks jip crush air-to-airs and maybe still even contest AA's, but be negative on block. Your turn ends when your jk is blocked. That way jump in punches lead to pressure on block -- but you take the risk of being AA'ed more easily for that reward. And if you jik instead and it's blocked, your pressure ends there.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I do not agree with your crushing blow comments at all, I think for the most part they are fine.. the only thing I think they need is that crushing blow counters should be well plus. It is sucky doing one and then getting punished for it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I do not agree with your crushing blow comments at all, I think for the most part they are fine.. the only thing I think they need is that crushing blow counters should be well plus. It is sucky doing one and then getting punished for it.
Imo the majority of them are fine -- I don't think it needs a complete system revamp. But there are a few outliers that don't make sense.

Last edited:

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
That's funny, I just made a thread about Kombat League lol I agree with this post.

Fatal Blows are too strong and, in half the rosters case, too safe. How many times I've randomly threw out a fatal blow for a W is insane. Also, losing to a random Fatal Blow is sodium inducing on so many levels.

I also agree on the Krushing blows. I think the perfect example of a character with a balanced set of Krushing blows would be Cassies Variations.

Her B1,3 KB is a high risk, high reward KB. The opponent has to block high, but if they blocked low and you read it wrong, that's a full combo punish.

Also her nutpunch KB. You have to use amp nutpunch 3 times in order to load the KB. That requires setup.

Her charged handgun KB. Basically only works if you catch someone slipping. Rare to get but is good to intimidate with.

Flying glow kick KB, and F2, 1+3 only activated on a counter hit. These are easier to get but don't do a crazy amount of damage.

Her shoulder charge KB only activates on a late block. That's hard to get.

I think if the roster had more thought provoking KB requirements and a FB rework, this game would be way better.

Agreed on Fatal Blows. I didn't like the sound of the cooldown from the start but seeing it in practice for 6 months just further convinces me this was the wrong decision.
I can appreciate they want to give novice players a bit of a safety net, but this olive branch reaches too far into competitive play. As someone said in another thread, facing characters with full screen FBs is like mental jail and the fact you can't get rid of it unless you're actually hit with it is just absurd. I should feel like I've taken away a big resource from my opponent when I outplay their attempt to sucker me into their armor, not "okay I have to kill him in 10 seconds now".

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Fuck it, I'll chime in.

1) Fatal Blows

These should one time use period only FOR FUCKING SURE. I can't believe they really work the way they work. I'd even be up for the Tekken format, if you ever use it it's gone but you get it every round.

2) Krushing Blows

I agree with @CrimsonShadow's view on this, but differ a bit. i think the non-combo ones need to be toned WAY down damage wise. 25% at the very most. And there needs to be a degree of difficulty to achieve = higher reward IMO. The problem is that a lot of these KB's either rely on your opponents fucking up, or doing things the character in no way would realistically do in a match. More realistic KB's for everybody should be a definite future design goal.

3) Movement

THIS FUCKING SHIT NEEDS TO BE NERFED ASAP. The movement system in this game is responsible for almost every single one of this games core imbalances. There's no neutral in this game because movement is too good. There's no footsies in this game because dash cancelability means there literally is nowhere to stand on screen to bait whiffs because button ranges are RNG because of how much range can be added to them. Add dash recovery and remove the fucking ability to cancel dashes at all PLEASE. I just want to play the game we were promised man.

4) Character/Variation Reworks

I think there needs to be some serious move reshuffling done to a lot of the cast. Making Manhandled base for Kano for example. Characters just feel too shallow and one dimensional in MK11 and it really shows unfortunately.

Krushing Blows in general need a huge balance pass. Even if we completely ignore the braindead ones that erase your health bar on punish there's still way too many dead KBs which is 100% unacceptable for such a mechanic.

Like oh gee oh boy Shang Tsung's Ermac or Rain KBs are both stupid to get and add a whopping 2% damage for my troubles, and for Rain's I have to spend 1 def to even try to get it and 1 atk bar to still get a combo from it.
Just, why?

Radam

Noob
I agree it would be good if the Fatal Blows misses you lose it until the next round if there is one. But if it connects then you don't get another one for the rest of the match.

Other quality of life improvements I would like to see are:

LAN connections only option, so it automatically ignores all WiFi connections for me. I'm sick of the unstable ping fluctuations with WiFi connections messing up my inputs.

I would also like all enhanced moves to be able to be enhanced at anytime during the animation like a lot of them can be. This would help me be better at doing some kombos as I'm an old man and my reaction times aren't as good as they used to be. This fix alone would help me take my game to the next level.

DeftMonk

Noob
I agree with the mostly everything crimson said. Fb on block should mean I’m about to eat your lunch. Some of them totally dictate the pace of a match once they are active and people just throw them out willy nilly.
KBs I don’t really care about the Sonya scenario which albeit isn’t that great, isn’t as bad as having KBs u can’t even access or land ever. Also some KBs spend a bar for something that is like 20 damage more than what you coulda got with a bnb while geras is exploding fools.
That cherney post tho... what the heck bro. What game u playin? Geras/Kabal/Jax getting FB every round? why don’t I just start the match with 65% Hp every round. Also wave dashing is good and all but a regular dash still is quite useful. I usually wave dash to bait whiffs or cover ground after knockdown but normal dash to get in on most zoning. Cherney you make it sound like whiffing is nonexistent because everyone can cover the entire screen in a frame which just isnt true. Competitive mk11 has a great deal of whiff punishing/ footsies.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
For Fatal Blows I would like the change that you can only execute them with a cancel, meaning you can only use them as a combo ender! Not raw in neutral or mashed into strings. Would help not having so salty losses lol And they should not come back when blocked, you use it you lose it

For Krushing Blows, imo every char should have 1 KB on throws. Not some having 2 and others none. Would balance the field a bit and everyone would have access to them. And some should have the requirements looked at, still a ton we will never see cause not practical in a match to get the requirements

Change the way the breakaway input works for god sakes it's so inconsistent. I can't tell you how many times I'll be juggled in a combo and I'm pressing R2+Down and nothing happens. By the time I get it I've eaten more than half the combo. Or someone jumps in on me or I get knocked down suddenly and I accidentally breakaway because I tried to block low. Instead of having to press the buttons at the same time for some reason, make it so you have to hold block and then press down, kinda how breaker used to work.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Fatal blows suck the hype away from comeback. Anyone can make a comeback. Idk what but something should be changed about them. Require offensive bar maybe?

Throws should do 10 - 12%

Quality of life IMO suggestions:
  • filter in command lists (for exemple only show whats low, overhead, krushing blows)
  • choose what to show in the match loading screen (for example the brutalities, I can't memorize them lol)
I agree the damage of FBs and KBs could be lower, but just a little, or they wouldn't make sense.

And the no brainer KBs should be nerfed. For example hit 2 times amp ring then hit only the second ring.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
2) Krushing Blows

The idea of Krushing Blows is something I like, and many of them are fine. But I think they should function as a reward for actually setting them up. Krushing Blows that gift 30% life by accident via spam (like Sonya's second ring KB) are mindless and don't actually reward intelligent gameplay.

I agree. I liked the concept of Krushing Blows when they seemed more like a resource to be managed, or a way to add some tactics to the match. The way some of them are now, it just feels like a box to eventually be checked off.

trufenix

bye felicia
So, fatal blows nerfed because they are too random and scrubby and hit too much, but krushing blows buffed because too many of them are random and scrubby and hit too much?

Meanwhile, people in Kombat League still want points and prizes for losing and not playing. Great feedback.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
I think that all strings which can krushing blow should be unsafe. If you timed your kounter/punish properly, you're rewarded with big damage. If you're off/miss your punish, you're unsafe. For example, Cetrion's 213 string is safe (this is bad), but Kotal's f122 is unsafe (this is good).

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
So, fatal blows nerfed because they are too random and scrubby and hit too much, but krushing blows buffed because too many of them are random and scrubby and hit too much?

Meanwhile, people in Kombat League still want points and prizes for losing and not playing. Great feedback.
I don’t think Fatal Blows are random at all — but I think that if you spend that resource, you shouldn’t get it back for free.

Last edited: