What's new

MK11 to me like MK9 to most

I just realised with my hype for Rain and how the roster has shaped up, this must be what fans felt with MK9.

That game never did it for me, but 11 has hit all the sweet spots and if this was it, I would still say best roster, arenas, graphics, most colourful and fun MK game in NRS era.

It’s truly a masterpiece with a throwback nostalgia factor that people seem to feel is why 9 really stood out. As a fan since MK1 - 90s kid here yay - this is truly a trip down memory lane w/ a new layer of realism and depth that actually goes beyond characters.

Would I welcome Smoke? 100% but with what we already have, there’s zero reason for me to feel he’s truly missing. We have every type of character in this game and then some.

I know the game is not even done and once that movie skin pack comes out and Havik - fingers crossed - is announced, it will be glorious. I have a sense that no game can ever come close to this, it’s the pinnacle of MK, which to most fans is MK9.

Anyway, hope everyone is somehow satisfied with MK11 as it currently stands, w/ nearly every Trilogy character, Fujin, playable Shao Kahn, Rain and Skarlet playable and finally Tagawa as Shang Tsung. Isn’t it glorious?!

What a treat! And I haven’t even mentioned the guest nostalgia w/ most original actors involved. Regardless of play style, you have to give it up to NRS for putting this much work in in getting all these people involved. On top of already a great roster, and we’re not even finished yet!

Anyone else feels this way?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Yeah.. Through the podcasts, streams and tournaments I've been working on the last few months, I've been coming into contact with a lot of people who are playing this as their first modern game, first serious game, or just haven't been around in a while and are coming back.

Right now, the kind of growth and love that I'm seeing from the community is a feeling that I haven't felt since maybe 2012/2013. People are excited to be part of what's going on, and the growth is all internal, instead of just being driven by external money or events or whatever.

I'm hoping for really great things with this upcoming patch, and I really feel like this has potential to be regarded as one of the best Mortal Kombat titles ever made when all is said and done.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
this game (MK11) is amazing regarding graphics , aesthetics presentation, animations, special effects and visual impact, yeah

but MK9 I think, is still superior in terms of classic nostalgic feeling, more near the original source material of the first three classic old school games from past

anyway, opinions vary ..... but, since MK games are among the most sold fighting games ever, the fanbase know how to appreciate each game for what each one of them are, so .... ;)

Last edited:

Gaxkang

Banned
MK11 is the pinnacle right now for production values and features and content for a fighter.

Imagine tho if like Soul Calibur or Dead or Alive had its budget.

Tekken all these years later still doesn't have a Vs. CPU mode for some reason heh

MK11 gameplay can be an acquired taste if I were to say gently, so we'll see if balance changes really changes it up. :D

Still need some new stages too....I still think they could take MKX Pit with a slight polish, and use it in this. Stage still looks great...

Tekken all these years later still doesn't have a Vs. CPU mode for some reason heh
Wow. In both the Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct franchises, Single Fight is my go-to if I don't know what I want to play in general, or if I only have about 20 minutes of game-time one night.

Gaxkang

Banned
Wow. In both the Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct franchises, Single Fight is my go-to if I don't know what I want to play in general, or if I only have about 20 minutes of game-time one night.
Heh yup it's still just Arcade Mode and Treasure Battle. And the Arcade is still just the short little one (5 fights) back when the game was just in arcades and people played the mode while waiting for online fights.

Was funny too since they made a point of saying they saw how barebones SFV was when it came out and Tekken wouldn't be that way :p

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Yeah, definitely the best MK out of all NRS' MK games in terms of gameplay and graphics. They even managed to massively improve animations compared to their previous games.

The thing is that at any point people are continously complaining no matter what devs do in fighting games. Now people are shitting all over SFV, saying how great SFIV and especially 3rd Strike were while back then it seemed as if no one had anything good to say about those games. Its what people like to do, complain no matter what. Pretty sure that when MK12 is out, its too fast-paced and too combo heavy and NRS should go back to how MK11 was.

I have my issues with the game. While the roster is very decent and has a good variety (Shao Kahn, Shang, Frost, Fujin, all characters I had little hope for), it has too many guests and more are being added. Then Cassie, Sonya, Jacqui all three making initial roster over so many better choices. Too many gun-wielding characters. Again, no cyborgs and no Smoke. Its not perfect.

Gameplay-wise there are also problems like KB requirements, hitbox/hurtbox issues, the flawed variation system. But they are actually listening and changing things up, like with the upcoming patch.

Best MK by NRS to date, hope they continue to support it for the upcoming two years at least.

Blazeglory88

50/50 Savant - Lore>Gore
The only thing holding MK11 back is the mediocre story, character retcons, some very questionable costume designs and the lack of combo variety. It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but it does have things that sour it's taste and keep it bottom 3rd of the NRS era at least for me.

-Also mechanics like Fatal Blow and Breakaway are the sourest of grapes among the gameplay cornucopia.

-Editing this because I could sing due praises a bit more. The support for this game has been phenomenal so far and as others have mentioned the production value knocks other fighters out of the park. Rollback, Graphics, Presentation, and just all around spectacle that other fighting games struggle to compete with. I will say that if it didn't still have the ToT augments mobile grind style rewards system and added in things like Test Your Might/Luck/Sight gamemodes among other things supposedly leaked in the files to come in the next year or so, it will easily be the best fighter on the market in terms of bang for your buck.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 59910

The game is great. I agree with you. Imo the best NRS game to date. I just need to mention how awful the soundtrack is. I’m a really fan of Dan The Toasty Lord Forden and I’m sure you are too. I remember playing MK3 and feeling the dark atmosphere of the game just by listening the OST. I still have chills when the “Subway Theme” starts playing, and MK11 doesn’t have one remarkable music, at least for me.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The game is great. I agree with you. Imo the best NRS game to date. I just need to mention how awful the soundtrack is. I’m a really fan of Dan The Toasty Lord Forden and I’m sure you are too. I remember playing MK3 and feeling the dark atmosphere of the game just by listening the OST. I still have chills when the “Subway Theme” starts playing, and MK11 doesn’t have one remarkable music, at least for me.
I think the main thing is that they used to compose the game music just for fighting.. And now that the game has a story mode, they've just been taking the cinematic soundtrack from the story and using it for everything else instead.

I think they just need to have someone compose some extra music, something catchier and more intense, just for the fighting modes, and then it'll fit better with the rest of the game.

I'll always defend, or should I say my subjective opinion is that MK11 is the best fight game Netherrealms has made and one of my absolute favorite fighting games of all time. I sunk 350 hours into this game. Visuals matter to me, and I don't feel any other fighting game comes close although it's hard to compare to completely different styles like DBZ and Guilty Gear. I just think they should get credit for the graphics because what they achieved on this console generation is pretty amazing on a technical level.

I also always enjoyed the gameplay even if I wish that it would have been possible to do customs from the beginning but I don't think a lot of people realize the work that takes to make sure it's balanced.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
The graphics, story mode and characters have been great. The only thing I don't like is the combo system with it being limited and short. You obviously have combos but they are a fraction of what 9/X had, the options the speed.

I'm fine with the speed and movement in this game I got used to it. My only complaint is that the combos or options feel watered down. I miss the cancels, the pressure and the in depth combos X had.

But I gotta say the characters look unbelievable aside from a few costumes it's AAA top shelf movie quality voices, animations, moves and stage graphics. They went all out but I think that's because WB is behind them and they made so much money.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Production value is great except fucking Ronda Rousey's voice lines, which are still garbage.
Well she is just a professional fighter, not a voice actor. I expected as much. But I think the idea was to have a prominent female role model and celebrity play an iconic character

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
Well she is just a professional fighter, not a voice actor. I expected as much. But I think the idea was to have a prominent female role model and celebrity play an iconic character
I mean obviously. But she sounds like she's putting as much effort into being a decent voice actor as she did into being a decent fighter in the stand up area of MMA.

Yknow.... basically none.

I'll agree w/ roster, graphics, and mostly on the fun factor. It's a nitpick, but I'd just disagree on the stages which to me feel kinda generic. Something about the classic stages that you see in the retrocade conveyed a sense of an alternate, brutal dimension, and I hope the next MK goes more in that direction personally.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I think the main thing is that they used to compose the game music just for fighting.. And now that the game has a story mode, they've just been taking the cinematic soundtrack from the story and using it for everything else instead.

I think they just need to have someone compose some extra music, something catchier and more intense, just for the fighting modes, and then it'll fit better with the rest of the game.
They do have someone else composing extra music.
The problem is, the music department like's the new music meta so they just keep doing it, a few arrangements here and there but this is what mk music is now.

Gaxkang

Banned
They do have someone else composing extra music.
The problem is, the music department like's the new music meta so they just keep doing it, a few arrangements here and there but this is what mk music is now.
It'd be nice if they just made the menu theme the Mortal Kombat movie theme song.... :D

While I still kinda prefer MK9 gameplay wise, MK11 and Aftermath had the better story modes no question. MK9 had the nostalgic/famous plot points but was made paaaaaiiinfully cheesy. MK11 story mode is loaded with faults for sure (fuckin time travel and jobbers) but the fight scene choreography was better than most high budget action movies I've seen. Watching Shang tare threw robots and getting his face blown off by evil Nightwolf was awesome.

asddgd

Noob
Woah, mk11 looks wayyyy better than mk9. Its almost like mk9 came out almost 10 years ago.
Naw, in terms of gameplay and the fun factor, it goes mk9, x, then 11, if you only count the 3. Noone has to admit anything, the only thing making mk11 even playable is customs. Nothing on this earth will ever make me forget getting my $300 kollecters edition of this game late, practicing noob combos, then finding out my combos werent tournament legal. Almost threw that shit in the trash but again, $300