What's new

MK11 Single Player Modes and Grind Discussion (Towers of Time, Augments, and Krypt) - Towers are Fixed.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I think it speaks volumes how you react if someone gives a different view on the grinding-theme.
And of course, some guy just shows up with "Ignore redit, cause..." bla bla f*cking blaaaa.
It's like this one guy on Steam with the same reaction as soon as I brought up gamefaqs.

It's nice to have a different perspective... it's not so nice that the "Tower-Grinding-Is-Terrible"-guy acted suddenly like a baby, but it is how it is.
Sure, it looks really bad, especialy how you made it look like... but I think there was no effort involved in getting stuff to beat these towers.
It's like: "Nah... skip thise things I don't care about... let's start with the most difficult things!"
"Waaaaah, they are difficult!"
Here a little tip: If you play "Dragon Quest 1", don't cross any bridge before level 10. You'll get murdered, especialy with your mindset. :)
Wait … are you talking about the OP?

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
What are you even talking about? I'm guessing English isn't your first language, it isn't mine. And something is lost in translation.
I didn't react badly because someone had a different take on it, I reacted badly because they accused me of making it seem like every fight is like this, when I never did that. You know why it's called a 'difficulty spike', right? Because the difficulty on some of these filler battles goes way up without any rhyme or reason.

Who is acting like a baby here exactly? Just because you have the reading comprehension of a child, and don't understand words like 'inconsistent', doesn't mean I didn't explain exactly how the system worked. Yes, I showed the bullshit fights, but doesn't mean I didn't cover that many fights are doable. I imagine you skipped the updates, but even if you read the post in the OP, we have words like:
"Now don't get me wrong. Despite all this, in a fair 1v1 fight the AI is almost a pushover. You can breeze through entire rounds with just jump in 2s and down 2s."

Here a little tip: If you play "Dragon Quest 1", don't cross any bridge before level 10. You'll get murdered, especialy with your mindset.
What does this even mean? I think you're trying to say I'm trying to run before I can walk. But I've finished 50 towers, done more than a 1000 matches already, finished a the Jade tag boss you're supposed to do in teams of 3 as a solo player, cleared 3 stages of character towers for Noob whereas this streamer can't even finish the first one.

What is my mindset? Are you trying to gatekeep with the DQ1 example? DQ was before my time, but I've platinum'd multiple souls games, I'm halfway to Super Diamond in SFV as Dhalsim, and I peaked at #8 on the PSN leaderboards for Injustice 1 in the first two weeks, playing Grundy, Ares and Aquaman. This isn't babby's first fighting game, trust me.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo

Samsara

Resident Cynic
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo
A not so timeless Classic.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I can only imagine what the post this response was referred to, was.

iNoScopedJFK

Silent Salty Solider
I should never feel like I'm grinding for anything in a fighting game. In MKX I never felt like I was grinding for coins to unlock shit in the Krypt. I would just play the game and get rewarded with coins. Playing the story, doing character towers, daily weekly and hourly towers, playing online, I was always earning coins and never felt like I was grinding. I was just playing the game and I managed to unlock a hefty amount of the Krypt that way.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
Grinding CAN be fun if the gameplay is fun. And it is. The gameplay is stellar.
Look at games like Destiny 2. The core shooting and abilities and supers are orgasmic. But you need that carrot on the stick to keep coming back to the game and have a reason to grind. Otherwise even if you have the best gameplay in the world, it will eventually get boring.

This game has the fun gameplay that's required for a good grinding experience. This game also has those carrot on the stick reasons to grind. But after every couple of towers, you face a really difficult wall that blocks off your progress, and brings your grinding process to a halt.

It'd be like doing strikes in Destiny and facing a raid boss in the middle of one, that takes only 1 damage per bullet you shoot at him, but can 2 shot you. No one wants that.

Lun

proud TERF!
Aren't people here saying "he used a skip-battle token"? Does that mean they can already be found?

@Prateek Shekhar Hey, you asked me to post questions here instead of reddit. I wanted to ask if you had gotten a chance to test out the local multiplayer, since that is probably one of the most iconic aspects of the game. I've been hearing worrying things about it, and it would be tedious, but if you could test it out, that'd be real nice.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
A 200-some MB patch just dropped for PS4 according to the Resetera thread. Says its general bug fixes. I'll try it in an hour or two.
Can anyone else who's playing the game now test if the towers have any changes.

@Prateek Shekhar Hey, you asked me to post questions here instead of reddit. I wanted to ask if you had gotten a chance to test out the local multiplayer, since that is probably one of the most iconic aspects of the game. I've been hearing worrying things about it, and it would be tedious, but if you could test it out, that'd be real nice.
I have not. But I'm sure others could answer. I think one of the things mentioned is that P2 can't use custom appearances. I don't know if that has been debunked so far. There's another thread in this forum by TrulyAmiracle called "Got the game early. Any questions (No story spoilers)" and he's answering a lot of character specific gameplay questions too.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
A 200-some MB patch just dropped for PS4 according to the Resetera thread. Says its general bug fixes. I'll try it in an hour or two.

I have not. But I'm sure others could answer. I think one of the things mentioned is that P2 can't use custom appearances. I don't know if that has been debunked so far. There's another thread in this forum by TrulyAmiracle called "Got the game early. Any questions (No story spoilers)" and he's answering a lot of character specific gameplay questions too.
Here's hoping it makes assists blockable.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store

I’m hoping they fixed the grind and absurd difficulty of some tower fights. And especially the wavedash trash.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
My guess is they would ride the wave for a couple of weeks, tweet out "We hear you. We are working on a fix" then release the fix a couple of months later and bask in the adulation of fans while saying "We heard you. We love you.". Meanwhile, for those weeks and months people who lack the fortitude to resist would buy stuff with real money, and NRS would meet the targets they promised WB.
If that's how it goes down, then it'd be a 1:1 recreation of the Shadow of War debacle, another game published by WB. That game had a similarly ridiculous grind near the end of the single player, which basically strong-armed you into purchasing stronger soldiers so that you stood at least a snowball's chance in hell of completing the end game objectives. Of course, there was backlash, Lots of it. But it wasn't until about half a year later that the in-game marketplace was removed and the grind rebalanced to something actually reasonable.

WB knows exactly what they're doing, and if the guys in that Reddit thread are anything to go by, it'll work wonders. Ride out the community backlash for a while as they rake in the dough from the whales who'll sink hundreds if not thousands into a beloved franchise. Then, once the well dries out, rebalance the economy/grind to act like you were listening to the woes of your consumers all along and get a few more brownie points.

And the worst part? NRS is no doubt gonna suffer the brunt of the criticism. Not to say that they may be 100% innocent themselves, but I can't look at a game that plays this good and looks this good and think that they don't care about how their product looks to the public. And shit like this? It's gonna make it look bad. But as long as WB gets the money in the end, I doubt they care.

Gamer68

Fujin!
@Prateek Shekhar

Don't worry about reddit or even some people on their discord. It's a circle jerk of mostly morons talking and defending some of this crap without even having the game to experience what people like you are talking about. I've seen them go through crazy mental gymnastics to try to convince others that it's not bad and that everything is ok. Sure some of them are grindaholics and are probably ok with this mess, but most just defend it blindly because they love MK and are being fanboyish.

Having said that, I've had the game for 5 days now and I wanted to come on and make a thread like this as well discussing the krypt and towers of time but thankfully you did a much better job at that than I possibly could have. I 110% agree with everything you said in this thread and in your videos. I gave up on towers and krypt too, fuck that shit. It's basically a F2P Korean MMO type of grind.
Yup.

I remember when Fallout 76 had legit security problems in the game, and it's Reddit community was still defending Bethesda and was saying they were "tired of everyone shitting on them"

The MK Reddit community seems to be doing the same thing.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
I tried the new patch for 45 minutes. The Stage 4 Noob towers have the same requirements, and the Towers don't seem to have changed. I played the Sub Zero Tag battle tower and was able to find two bros to team up with. Here's how the mechanics in this fight work:

Each person on the team fights the boss in a set order. In this case, I was second. The boss starts with minor modifiers, but as they get closer to death, the modifiers get stronger. The first modifier was the ground getting frozen and slowing the player, and if the player stands on it too long, they get frozen. The second stage of the fight replaces this with ice missiles that home on to the player and freezes them on impact. The third...well.. watch the video.

The game also assigns random friendly assists to the player that the game activates at random times. In this case we had special forces grenade volley, and a tidal wave that travels across the screen. Also, the CPU can use a fatal blow on each player (so 3 in total), but if one of the players uses their fatal blow, the others cannot.

We weren't able to beat this battle, due to the ridiculous stage 3. Enjoy.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I tried the new patch for 45 minutes. The Stage 4 Noob towers have the same requirements, and the Towers don't seem to have changed. I played the Sub Zero Tag battle tower and was able to find two bros to team up with. Here's how the mechanics in this fight work:

Each person on the team fights the boss in a set order. In this case, I was second. The boss starts with minor modifiers, but as they get closer to death, the modifiers get stronger. The first modifier was the ground getting frozen and slowing the player, and if the player stands on it too long, they get frozen. The second stage of the fight replaces this with ice missiles that home on to the player and freezes them on impact. The third...well.. watch the video.

The game also assigns random friendly assists to the player that the game activates at random times. In this case we had special forces grenade volley, and a tidal wave that travels across the screen. Also, the CPU can use a fatal blow on each player (so 3 in total), but if one of the players uses their fatal blow, the others cannot.

We weren't able to beat this battle, due to the ridiculous stage 3. Enjoy.

Okay, two questions:
  • Was this also with Konsumables and Augments again? If so, which ones are you using?
  • Since you have gotten the game, how many skins would you say you have unlocked? Not just from Towers of Time, but from other modes like The Krypt as well. I'm trying to get a feel for how fast skin unlocks are.