What's new

MK11 Single Player Modes and Grind Discussion (Towers of Time, Augments, and Krypt) - Towers are Fixed.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Perhaps the devs wanted to give players an incentive to play this game for years ... completely forgetting that some people want to unlock everything in 10-30 days, then move on.

Eh, who am I kidding.

So how do you unlock costumes with the requirement "Reward in AI Battle"? What is that exactly? Are these ones reasonable to obtain, at least?

(Probably a stupid and obvious question, but I haven't played one of these in a long time, so most modes are new to me.)

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Are you guys also aware that the addition of DLC characters is going to further dilute the loot pool.

Joker comes out? Heres 90 more variation icons, 60 more skins, some more banners,etc. On top of the filler that already there.

It's going to become harder and harder to get gear for your main the longer it takes you to complete all this nonsense lol.

Are you guys also aware that the addition of DLC characters is going to further dilute the loot pool.

Joker comes out? Heres 90 more variation icons, 60 more skins, some more banners,etc. On top of the filler that already there.

It's going to become harder and harder to get gear for your main the longer it takes you to complete all this nonsense lol.
Exactly what happened with Injustce 2. I only ever played Scarecrow and never got the final mask for his 5 piece set once DLC came out

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
Perhaps the devs wanted to give players an incentive to play this game for years ... completely forgetting that some people want to unlock everything in 10-30 days, then move on.

Eh, who am I kidding.
I know you're not saying this, but some posters on GameFAQs and Reddit have said that people are whining that they can't get everything in a week or a month and move on. That's not the problem. Grinding is fine. The problems are twofold:

1) If I really like a skin, I can only know whether it comes from Krypt or Towers of Time. I can do nothing but wait for RNG. I cannot plan and specifically grind for that skin like how you can repeat the same missions for their drops in Destiny or Diablo. Tell me that a particular skin has a 5% drop rate in my Klassic tower, and I'll run that fucker till I get it. But as things are now, the Krypt is completely random, Kollector's exchange inventory in the Krypt is completely random, in game real money store is random, the timed towers that show up are random, and no one know where tower keys drop. So you are essentially unable to hyper focus on grinding that one skin you want, and it would take months for it to show in one of these avenues, if you even get it ever.

2) Towers of Time gatekeep players from lower skill levels and their drops are impossible for the vast majority of the playerbase, which consists of casual to semi casual players who do not have the time to 'git gud'. Even if they git gud, the bullshit towers still gatekeep a lot of progress.

So the problem isn't that you can't get everything at once. It is that a lot of players won't even get what they want in the time they play this game, may it be a couple of months or a couple of years.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I know you're not saying this, but some posters on GameFAQs and Reddit have said that people are whining that they can't get everything in a week or a month and move on. That's not the problem. Grinding is fine. The problems are twofold:

1) If I really like a skin, I can only know whether it comes from Krypt or Towers of Time. I can do nothing but wait for RNG. I cannot plan and specifically grind for that skin like how you can repeat the same missions for their drops in Destiny or Diablo. Tell me that a particular skin has a 5% drop rate in my Klassic tower, and I'll run that fucker till I get it. But as things are now, the Krypt is completely random, Kollector's exchange inventory in the Krypt is completely random, in game real money store is random, the timed towers that show up are random, and no one know where tower keys drop. So you are essentially unable to hyper focus on grinding that one skin you want, and it would take months for it to show in one of these avenues, if you even get it ever.

2) Towers of Time gatekeep players from lower skill levels and their drops are impossible for the vast majority of the playerbase, which consists of casual to semi casual players who do not have the time to 'git gud'. Even if they git gud, the bullshit towers still gatekeep a lot of progress.

So the problem isn't that you can't get everything at once. It is that a lot of players won't even get what they want in the time they play this game, may it be a couple of months or a couple of years.
Words of wisdom as always, my friend.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill

Eh, who am I kidding.
The incentive to play this game for years isn't going to be fulfilled by adding shit like tedious RNG. That's going to turn some people off. As it should.

Good game-play, updates here and there that are fair, some new modes here and there, maybe meaningful things between alliances or clans if you make those again, can keep players around.

For some reason, devs think only tedious shit will keep players in. Hell, DLC continously going past a year would keep players in.

Pazuzu

Noob
I got the game this afternoon. I'm a casual gamer. The towers are SO hard and tedious. Totally demoralizing and unfun. I have to let the AI play. And even the AI can't do it. Even with bonus items it doesn't work :(

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
I got the game this afternoon. I'm a casual gamer. The towers are SO hard and tedious. Totally demoralizing and unfun. I have to let the AI play. And even the AI can't do it. Even with bonus items it doesn't work :(
I could help you out till they fix it. We are probably in different timezones, but if there's a tower with a long active time, perhaps I could give tips or make a video on it.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
This is pretty demoralizing and upsetting to read. I was hoping to take away a good chunk of playtime from single player content, but it sounds like that won't be the case. Honestly disappointing that the grind sounds like endgame MMO stuff, except it's mostly grinding cosmetics instead of late game raid gear. MMO's need to make tough and grindy late game because that's what the playerbase wants (Look at WoW players will have 10,000 hours and complain about the fact there is nothing to do) but fighting game are supposed to make the grind against other players worth it, not against BS AI matches.

If this is anything like Injustice 2 or other grind games, the grind is probably going to get much less tedious a full year from now. If they want to make stuff grindy, they should add multipliers for doing different things that get applied such as a 2x multiplier for playing online with a friend opposed to a 9% exp increase through an augment.

Also, not sure how this works yet as I don't have the game, but doesn't this essentially punish and de-incentivise labbing in practice mode? From a casual perspective why sit in practice to learn stuff when I could be grinding at the towers for more gear?

All they said in the Kombat Kast is they'll give us some extra random loot. That doesn't fix the fundamental problem. It's still basically: "Here's a really awesome Shao Kahn skin! You never know if you'll ever find it anywhere! Now get excited and go play for hundreds of hours and maybe you'll find it by accident!" Sorry NRS, but that's not how you incentivize people to play your games more.

The only way you could possibly enjoy this system is to have no idea what the rewards are, what the skins look like or how many there are, so every time you get something you're like: "Oh cool! A new free skin!" Instead they intentionally designed it to piss everyone off! It's so completely ignorant of gaming psychology I can't comprehend it.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
All they said in the Kombat Kast is they'll give us some extra random loot. That doesn't fix the fundamental problem. It's still basically: "Here's a really awesome Shao Kahn skin! You never know if you'll ever find it anywhere! Now get excited and go play for hundreds of hours and maybe you'll find it by accident!" Sorry NRS, but that's not how you incentivize people to play your games more.

The only way you could possibly enjoy this system is to have no idea what the rewards are, what the skins look like or how many there are, so every time you get something you're like: "Oh cool! A new free skin!" Instead they intentionally designed it to piss everyone off! It's so completely ignorant of gaming psychology I can't comprehend it.
They are fixing Tower Difficulty, which is something that def needed fixing

Krypt is a giant lootbox, but if they are adding more stuff, and I hope reducing prices on the chests, it can be a lot more doable

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
All they said in the Kombat Kast is they'll give us some extra random loot. That doesn't fix the fundamental problem.
Thats... not what they said. They said they were going to try and implement some tinkering with the balance, adjust the loot drops, and then look at something like a patch later on possibly.

I preordered premium and now kinda regret it.
They are charging us $60 or whatever and bringing all of the nasty tactics used in free to play mobile games.
  1. Lootboxes
  2. DLCs
  3. Shops that rotate every day
  4. Impossible to beat enemies unless you buy something to increase your chances
My question is why nowadays in games you cannot buy the skin you want right away? I don't have time to grind all day or buy 500 lootboxes to get the one skin I want. A lot of people preordered this game, because of old MK memories when we were kids, but forgot that now the AAA industry is full of predators and its not like 15 years ago.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I hope the fixes are substantial.

they have to know they fucked up. The Towers and skin distribution stuff has been slammed in every single review I've read so far. It's got the stink of Shadow of War all over it

Chints

Noob
So how do you unlock costumes with the requirement "Reward in AI Battle"? What is that exactly? Are these ones reasonable to obtain, at least?

(Probably a stupid and obvious question, but I haven't played one of these in a long time, so most modes are new to me.)
Haven't tried the mode yet, but there's a separate mode called AI Battle. Your best AI vs someone elses. Kinda like online matches, Im guessing, just completely automated. I imagine this is a dick waving contest to show off augments.

They REALLY need to explain how the Krypt works. If I open every chest in it, do I get all of the best skins and gear that are said to be found in the Krypt? Do I have to refill all of the chests and open them all twice to get the best stuff? If I just continuously refill chests in the closest area, is that the same as opening chests anywhere? Nothing makes sense if every chest is just another randomized lootbox.