What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Match Up Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
There's no way the Kabal MU is in Shang's favor. Saw blade trades are in Kabals favor and he can nomad dash on reaction to zoning. Up close he has faster, more long range mids, and better pokes.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Geras too seems pretty hard to me.

There's no way the Kabal MU is in Shang's favor. Saw blade trades are in Kabals favor and he can nomad dash on reaction to zoning. Up close he has faster, more long range mids, and better pokes.
I wouldn't know man. Shang can use hellsparks to keep Kabal from using air buzzsaw, which is his best move. Also fullscreen Shang's projectile recovers fast enough to block the trade.

I feel like Shang can control the space fairly well in the match up.

Last edited:
It saddens me to see you destroying my thread's discussion like that, but you are not wrong.
Lol. Sorry. I like to see discussion, I’m just seeing a lot of posts stating the obvious. Like either Shang was gonna be super OP or Geras was gonna be a losing matchup. No other options. So instead, we could be discussing tech development to deal with those bad matchups.

gibster13

A fan of fans
I’ve played four or five Jacquis and beat them all with zoning

Will have to play more obs but doesn’t seem too bad although he’s still new for everyone

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw

Will have to play more obs but doesn’t seem too bad although he’s still new for everyone
Same here but against sub-zero instead, played like 7 or 8 in this league thing and beat all of them
But probably a lot of people doesnt know the matchup still, i got away with the low hit on f24 like 70% of the time i used it lmao

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
From what I played, Johnny Cage, Kollector, Jax, Jacqui, Kabal, Cetrion all got zoned out and were forced to play Shangs game. Skarlet , Geras and Sub felt even .

If Subs Ice ball gets one trade hes in your face, but he still has to work to get in. Skarlet has enough zoning tools and a teleport to stay even. Geras Sandtrap is punishable by eruption and soul steal so he cant just check him like everybody else. Geras is strong up close but Shang can hold his own and if he soul steals he gets all the KBs lol so it feels even.

Who needs fast mids when you have a 10 frame low combo starter wtfA. AndShang d3 is godlike
This is an even mu, or in any case in Shang favor

Espio

Kokomo
What do you guys do against Jade?
Corpse drop. If you're not using corpse drop on Jade, you're making an easy match up hard. Even if Jade blocks a corpse drop, if Shang does a follow up corpse drop it punishes Jade's glow activation. If she can't glow well or reliably that means you can zone and if she tries to zone you out you out damage her in zoning unless she has a huge life lead. This is a move that allows Shang to play his game so much and control the pace so well it really changes a match that Jade should win handily into a struggle where at times she has to get in and chase.

Corpse drop also knocks her out of the air of her air glaives which is big as well. I hope that's helpful.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Corpse drop. If you're not using corpse drop on Jade, you're making an easy match up hard. Even if Jade blocks a corpse drop, if Shang does a follow up corpse drop it punishes Jade's glow activation. If she can't glow well or reliably that means you can zone and if she tries to zone you out you out damage her in zoning unless she has a huge life lead. This is a move that allows Shang to play his game so much and control the pace so well it really changes a match that Jade should win handily into a struggle where at times she has to get in and chase.

Corpse drop also knocks her out of the air of her air glaives which is big as well. I hope that's helpful.
That's the thing, I've been doing Corpse Drop and having decent success, but idk, it's like when she gets close I'm not sure what to do to prevent her from getting in besides Soul Steal or attempt to run in at her. Also I feel like her d3 or d4 beats mine whenever I try to outpoke her.

Espio

Kokomo
That's the thing, I've been doing Corpse Drop and having decent success, but idk, it's like when she gets close I'm not sure what to do to prevent her from getting in besides Soul Steal or attempt to run in at her. Also I feel like her d3 or d4 beats mine whenever I try to outpoke her.

If she's not able to reliably glow you can zone her like anyone else. Her down 4 pushes you away from her which is to her detriment so you just block or even if you get hit by it you're pushed back and Jade doesn't want you far away from her. I don't have Shang's frame data fully known, but Arzumis plays this very well and keeps her in check poking. Jade's really good ranged stuff is unsafe or slow so she's not coming in for free. If she can get past his zoning minefield she has good normal, but Shang has comparable speed mids so it's not like he's in trouble if she does.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.

This matchup seems at least even to me, if not favorable for Jacqui. Shang wins mid to long range for sure, but Jacqui is so absolutely oppressive up close and Shang's pokes/frames aren't fantastic that you pretty much have to poke and pray to get out against a smart Jacqui.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Shang has some good looking lows, anyone know if he can duck under moves like geras f212 or Errons f3 string?
I tested everything that could possibly low profile Geras's f+2,1,2 and unfortunately found nothing. However, d+3 works on Erron Black's f+2,3 string.

Speaking of Geras, he is currently the most difficult match up from my experience. Low sand trap controls the pace of the match and is unpunishable half screen away. On the other hand, he can reliably punish corpse drop anywhere on the screen as well as ground eruption when flawless blocked. I am not yet sure what the proper approach is to the match up, but I assume you will have to fight him, in addition to the other strong anti-zoning characters such as Scorpion and Sub Zero, at mid range, steal their powers after a combo, and let them have some of their own medicine. So hit the lab and learn how to use those characters.

I haven't had chance to practice with a Geras yet on Shang Tsung, but it looks like it would be difficult to attempt to zone. But I think if you play well at jump range you should be able to take Geras if you have the reaction time. The soul drain is ridiculously strong as it beats a lot of options on reaction and then you get to be a buffed Geras so there is that fun. Also, Shang Tsung definitely has much better range to initiate, but I think I would rather utilize B4 to keep him at bay and anti air well when they get frustrated and eventually jump. But then again thats how I always think I will fight Geras, but then get mopped lol.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I'd like to propose that the following can just be assumed unless someone starts testing and finding otherwise:

Default Bad Matchups:
Cassie Cage
Erron Black
Geras
Jaqui Briggs
Scorpion
Sonya Blade

Default Good Matchups:
D'Vorah
Frost
Kano
Kollector
Kotal Kahn

If any of these are untrue, THEN I'd suggest it's worth discussing.
I'm thinking Shang has the tools to deal with jacqui up close and zone her effectively.

Now D'Vorah I'm not so sure is a good matchup. She is a momentum character with amazing setups and once she gets going she can handle him close and mid range. I'm not so sure about how her zoning fares against his but I'm seeing D'Vorahs stay at F1 range and JIP range.

The rest seem correct. Cassie is pretty much an even matchup but her kneecappin goes under his Straight Skull and outranges his Ground Skulls and trades with his Corpse drop but is faster startup and recovery than Corpse and he does get 9% on hit while she only gets 6% but I think she can get two to his one if spaced correctly.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I haven't had chance to practice with a Geras yet on Shang Tsung, but it looks like it would be difficult to attempt to zone. But I think if you play well at jump range you should be able to take Geras if you have the reaction time. The soul drain is ridiculously strong as it beats a lot of options on reaction and then you get to be a buffed Geras so there is that fun. Also, Shang Tsung definitely has much better range to initiate, but I think I would rather utilize B4 to keep him at bay and anti air well when they get frustrated and eventually jump. But then again thats how I always think I will fight Geras, but then get mopped lol.
I thought Geras is one of the few that can punish Ground Skulls and Soulsteal without spending meter. I honestly hate the geras MU because its mix all day into KBs that hurt on top of that he forces you to crouch block and not play footsie and one wrong step he gets sand into KB or is now right next to you for datmix. And that D1

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
It just seems its either even or slightly in Shangs favor. Better range to outfootsie and able to oki when Scud isn't active with Corpse Drop for mad damage. Once I get momentum moving it seems hard for erron to outzone or get the rifle out. But it may have been the person I played sets with.

I hate the geras MU though. That sand is mad annoying.
I haven’t had much difficulty against Erron Black either. If I happen to lose, it’s more to the player than the actual match up, but I’ve fared pretty well against him.

Last edited:

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
First of all, anyone with a teleport is going to be a hard match up for Shang Tsung. I’ve had problems with Skarlet (I just switch to Jade ‍♂), Raiden, Scorpion (his annoying wake up teleport really makes it hard for you to do your Corpse Drop setups) and even Kollector has given me problems (in addition to his 5 minute long string).

Other than that, Cassie is just a straight up losing match for him, no way around it. I don’t think Geras should be much of a problem, but I could be wrong... I may need more matches.