What's new

Discussion MK11 - reduce the finisher time

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
so i had that one topic running in my head since a long time and i really would like to hear some opinions about it. (i am just a casual MKX gamer)

topic: finisher time
so i play MK since MK1, and MK2 was my favorite until MKX
(after MK3 i stopped till MK9 where the quality of MK rises again)

fatalities are one of my most loved mini games in the franchise
but with MKX the finisher time is so huge that it is losing the specialty in fight.
i mean you can always tell, "oh now he presses pause scroll to the finisher, endpause and do it". so much time...
in MK/MK2 it was perfect, every finisher felt satisfying because you had to be prepared for doing such iconic and beautiful kill.

for people who just want to see/show off them is the fatality training perfect anyways

so please for MK11, make finishers exciting again by shorten the time you have to "finish" the fight.
(because everything that is a little bit more rare, is also more hype when happen)

ps: brutality's in MKX was that one feature (combined with the beautiful art style) that kicked MK2 from my throne. its the best new MK feature. such a fluid way to finish a fight with the biggest style in fighting game history

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Also the distance at which you should position yourself. I remember trying to get that sweet jump distance or sweep distance and having two tries at best to perform the fatality. Also the requirements for stage fatalities etc. Good days.

E

Eldriken

They should make it to where the inputs for Fatalities and the like aren't shown at all. Let people figure it out again for a change. That was part of the fun back in the day. No one knew how to do shit until someone figured it out and word spread.

Aramonde

Noob
The fatality timer is way to long. I don't how long it is but i think five real time seconds is best.

They should make it to where the inputs for Fatalities and the like aren't shown at all. Let people figure it out again for a change. That was part of the fun back in the day. No one knew how to do shit until someone figured it out and word spread.
They won't figure it out they will just look it up on the Internet.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The finish him loop its fine, you reduce it any longer, and then it affects special conditions on how certain fatalities have to be performed, like distance and time to input such code as well.

Remember, part of fun specially most casual players its really there, if you make it any harder it stops being fun, on top of it, allows Dan Forden to build amazing finishing loops that last longer.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
^This. It should be a mystery.

Ashesfall

there were some brutality's hidden for people to find out (also like stage brutality´s)
so i think with MKX the mystery of stuff was still there but with the internet time, stuff is not really "hidden" anymore

(unlocking stuff through the crypt was for me as a casual MK fan a lot of fun - for sure better than researching the internet)

i think some would never be found out. i remember shang tsung by holding kick button for 30(!) seconds to become kintaro and kill your opponent (such a nice fatality in MK2)
(terrible requirement if you still want to play for real and finish, as both wont work well lol)

I've thought the same for years. They've extended the time considerably since MK1/2. But I think a big part of it is that they're catering to the casuals. MK1 was a test to see how it faired, MK2 built on it. Then fatalities became all the game was about.

Now that gaming is so huge you want the casual player to play as much as they can. If they get the shits that they can't do what is basically MK's defining feature, they get annoyed and walk off. The extended time allows these players to feel like they've accomplished something.

So it's very much a balance between keeping these guys happy and still making it a feature of the game, without it being "fatality simulator 2017".

brutality's in MKX was that one feature (combined with the beautiful art style) that kicked MK2 from my throne. its the best new MK feature. such a fluid way to finish a fight with the biggest style in fighting game history
+1 Love how they implemented it into MKX. No waiting around for over the top fatalities or people who need to try 5 times to get it done. Quick and clean - a great finale to a match.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
With data mining it is unfortunately nearly impossible to keep secrets these days. Unless they somehow kept that data off disc, which would lead to incomplete physical copies and when servers are inevitably shut down permanently unavailable fatalities, I don't see it happening. They could do extra hidden fatals but they would need to have the normal system in place to throw people off the scent, and even then it would only work till the first one is found. Fatals are too big a part of the draw for people to let them be figured out and word to spread imo. Times they are a changin'

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
The finish him loop its fine, you reduce it any longer, and then it affects special conditions on how certain fatalities have to be performed, like distance and time to input such code as well.

Remember, part of fun specially most casual players its really there, if you make it any harder it stops being fun, on top of it, allows Dan Forden to build amazing finishing loops that last longer.
^This^. There is no need to change anything, in fact keep it like that for MK11 and the rest of the MK games to come.

Ashesfall

make fatals have 15 inputs like old mk games too.
? i cant remember some of that
from MK1, 2 and 3 its not so different to MKX

lmfao
nah i need a long fatality time, how i am supossed to perform decent teabags???
yeah i figured someone would say that :D

the true meaning of mortal kombat in the "new" age ...

edit: they should add "trollality" to the game - no please NRS, never do that!

Last edited:

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
If you are talking about the classic there was no 15 inputs to perform fatalities in those games. Unless you are talking about the Brutalities from MKT.

Besides those, nothing was really that hard to execute. The only one that I can think that was really hard to do and win was Shang's Kintaro fatality from MK2 cause you had to hold lp for like 30 seconds and win lol.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
? i cant remember some of that
from MK1, 2 and 3 its not so different to MKX

yeah i figured someone would say that :D

the true meaning of mortal kombat in the "new" age ...

edit: they should add "trollality" to the game - no please NRS, never do that!
what you just said make zero sense. you can't member but they were the same? how do u know if you can't remember?

Ashesfall

@Shaka
ok let me realign my sentience (yes english is not my mother language)

i cant remember MK ever had some of those inputs for fatality's you mentioned
those i can remember (as i cant remember all of them) are like MKX
but Linkuei82 said it better anyways

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I agree. They are a little less special when people can mess up once or twice and try a third time or pull of the pause screen and look it up, or even pay for easy fatalities lol

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Entitled casuals are a huge part of the MK audience. Some of them only buy the game to do the fatalities. If they ever found out they had to wait until someone figured them out, they'd be crying like babies and probably wouldn't buy the game. I know several people this applies to.

Personally, I love this idea. As a kid I kept a notebook and would write down everything I've tried and what button/input combinations didn't work. I only ever found maybe 2 fatalities myself, but damn it was so rewarding when I did.

Also, I know this will never happen, but how amazing would it be to buy MK11 without knowing the roster at all and just begin story mode where everyone just slowly unlocks as playable characters. I'd absolutely love that.

All the mystery is gone from MK. I feel like the last true cool secret that was discovered was the Toasty Boost in MK9. It took like 2 years for that to be found. I miss things like that.