What's new

MK11 Pro Tour Top 8 Character Usage

I have been keeping track of what characters, which variations, and how many games they have been played throughout the MK 11 Pro Tour T8s. All of this should be mostly correct, but I won't pretend that I didn't drink a lot of beers while watching these...so giving or taking a game for some of the higher numbers might be an okay idea. Also, I didn't count mirror matches as double, this is just a straight up count of how many times a character was seen in a Pro Tour T8 game.

Geras – Infinite Warden (196) | New Era (7) | Eternal (8)

Cetrion – Spring Cleaning (194) | Force of Nature (1) [Winner of Online EU & Winner of Online Aus/NZ]

Sonya – Ring Master (160) | No Holds Barred (21) [Winner of Combo Breaker, Online EU East, Online Middle East, & Brasil Game Show]

Jacqui - 1st Round KO (88) | Next Gen (1) | Upgraded (77) [Winner of IgroMir & IKK Finals]

Liu Kang – Luohan Quan (150) | Wu Shi Legend (5) | Dragon's Breath (4) [Winner of Online NA West, Celtic Throwdown, and Dreamhack Montreal]

Johnny Cage – Shock Jock (28) | Show Stopper (57) | Outtake (39) [Winner of Online NA East and NEC]

Kung Lao – Hat Tricks (53) | Lotus Fist (45) [Winner of Versus Fighting]

Cassie – Digital Soldier (55) | Yaas Queen (34) [Winner of CEO & EVO

Baraka – Marauder (70) | Bone Picker (8) | Berserker (6)

Sub-Zero – Dead of Winter (69) | Thin Ice (9) [Winner of Liga Latina Finals]

Erron Black – 52 Kard Pickup (71) | Barking Irons (6) [Winner of Viennality]

Frost – Ice Machine (40) | Arctic Anarchy (35) [Winner of Mortal Kombat Klash Finals]

Shang Tsung – Warlock (65) | Soul Eater (7)

Scorpion – Reborn (46) | Searing Rage (21)

Jade – Emerald Defender (28) | Jaded (33) [Winner of ECT]

Kabal – Clean Cut (45) | Mean Streak (5) | The Spins (2) [Winner of Fighting Games Challenge]

Jax – Hunker Down (46) | Grinnin' Barret (2) | Ringer (1)

Noob Saibot – Dark Sabbath (20) | Seeing Double (26)

D'Vorah – Arachnophobia (5) | Buzzed (36)

Nightwolf – Matoka Warrior (36) [Winner of Online EU West & Ultimate Fighting Arena]

Joker – Ace of Knaves (29) [Winner of Final Kombat]

Kitana – Fan-Fare (15) | Highborn (14)

Kano – Ripper (22) | Dirtbag (1)

Shao Kahn – Risen Emperor (23)

Kollector – Back in the Pack (22)

Skarlet – Blood Drive (4) | Heart Pierce (4)

Kotal Kahn – Ascension (3)

Raiden – Thunder Wave (1)

Last edited:

Comments

cetrion most used ? There are like 2 cetrion players . Dragon and this cetrion from EU .
Two in the US (AlexanderThe1 made one of these T8s), a couple from the EU, and a couple in the Mid East. Also, Cetrion players tend to A.) Have an incredibly high amount of Game 5 scenarios and B.) Have long paths through their top 8s. Despite having a small representation of players, these two things have made her appear in an insane amount of games.

Edited because I had apparently missed that the Mortal Kombat Klash finals had already happened. Glad I got to finally watch this, it had some really interesting things to add to the count (Dirtbag Kano and Force of Nature Cetrion have appeared!) and a very rarely seen character getting an incredible big ol' W. Only two characters and ten variations left before we can say that we've seen everything that launched with the game in a (major) top eight...that really is pretty impressive for a game's first six months.

Last edited:
Welp after testing (and failing) my variation memory, phoning a few friends, and finding a Russian keyboard to use alongside Google Translate...I can finally say that I have updated the list to include IgroMir. That was a freaking doozy.

Welp after testing (and failing) my variation memory, phoning a few friends, and finding a Russian keyboard to use alongside Google Translate...I can finally say that I have updated the list to include IgroMir. That was a freaking doozy.
Thanks for doing this. It’s really cool and must be a lot of work. Props

Gonna be late on updating for BGS, got some real life shit that will keep me from watching until Wednesday or so. Just wanted to let everyone know I'm not abandoning this silly project! Cheers!

Well I managed to either complete or dip and dodge my IRL responsibilities and found some time to power through the BGS VOD and update the OP. Hell of a day for Sonya, I will say. She is now the most used character in the Pro Tour and also has the most Pro Tour wins...so there we are. Was getting kinda weird having the most used character not having any Ws after their name.

Last edited:
Updated to include ECT. Variation three is officially here and in their first legal tournament we already had three of them in a top 8! Also, this top 8 is the first oddity in deciding what character won the tournament. I decided to go with the most literal definition: the character that was used to win the final game of the tournament. Outtake Johnny definitely deserves some praise for completely derailing Dragon's whole ass game-plan. But cheers to the Jade community, your character has finally won a major!

Updated to include ECT. Variation three is officially here and in their first legal tournament we already had three of them in a top 8! Also, this top 8 is the first oddity in deciding what character won the tournament. I decided to go with the most literal definition: the character that was used to win the final game of the tournament. Outtake Johnny definitely deserves some praise for completely derailing Dragon's whole ass game-plan. But cheers to the Jade community, your character has finally won a major!
But there were few Kotal Bullock players and Kotal has only 2 spots? There is something wrong.
Also Deadly Rebel used Kollector spare charge variation.
Also Raiden is not in the game.

But there were few Kotal Bullock players and Kotal has only 2 spots? There is something wrong.
Also Deadly Rebel used Kollector spare charge variation.
Also Raiden is not in the game.
The list only includes Top 8s.

---
I'm surprised how Geras hasn't win a major yet ! He is one of the most used characters and yet no decisive victory with him.

I'm surprised how Geras hasn't win a major yet ! He is one of the most used characters and yet no decisive victory with him.
There's usually a character like that in each of our games.

In MK9 Cyrax, Kenshi, and Sonya became three of the most-used characters, but it took forever for any of them to win a major.

In Injustice after the early days you would constantly see Batman, Bane, Flash etc. in Top 8 but not winning.

MKX there were dozens of Top 8s with Takeda and Tremor but they rarely won majors.

etc.

Updated to include IKK Finals...sort of. For some incredibly frustrating reason not all games were played on stream. They had a tech issue for over an hour, so I will assume that is why. But because of that, nearly the entirety of the loser's side of the bracket is lost to history. So...that sucks.