What's new

MK11 Pro Tour Top 8 Character Usage

I have been keeping track of what characters, which variations, and how many games they have been played throughout the MK 11 Pro Tour T8s. All of this should be mostly correct, but I won't pretend that I didn't drink a lot of beers while watching these...so giving or taking a game for some of the higher numbers might be an okay idea. Also, I didn't count mirror matches as double, this is just a straight up count of how many times a character was seen in a Pro Tour T8 game.

Geras – Infinite Warden (196) | New Era (7) | Eternal (8)

Cetrion – Spring Cleaning (194) | Force of Nature (1) [Winner of Online EU & Winner of Online Aus/NZ]

Sonya – Ring Master (160) | No Holds Barred (21) [Winner of Combo Breaker, Online EU East, Online Middle East, & Brasil Game Show]

Jacqui - 1st Round KO (88) | Next Gen (1) | Upgraded (77) [Winner of IgroMir & IKK Finals]

Liu Kang – Luohan Quan (150) | Wu Shi Legend (5) | Dragon's Breath (4) [Winner of Online NA West, Celtic Throwdown, and Dreamhack Montreal]

Johnny Cage – Shock Jock (28) | Show Stopper (57) | Outtake (39) [Winner of Online NA East and NEC]

Kung Lao – Hat Tricks (53) | Lotus Fist (45) [Winner of Versus Fighting]

Cassie – Digital Soldier (55) | Yaas Queen (34) [Winner of CEO & EVO

Baraka – Marauder (70) | Bone Picker (8) | Berserker (6)

Sub-Zero – Dead of Winter (69) | Thin Ice (9) [Winner of Liga Latina Finals]

Erron Black – 52 Kard Pickup (71) | Barking Irons (6) [Winner of Viennality]

Frost – Ice Machine (40) | Arctic Anarchy (35) [Winner of Mortal Kombat Klash Finals]

Shang Tsung – Warlock (65) | Soul Eater (7)

Scorpion – Reborn (46) | Searing Rage (21)

Jade – Emerald Defender (28) | Jaded (33) [Winner of ECT]

Kabal – Clean Cut (45) | Mean Streak (5) | The Spins (2) [Winner of Fighting Games Challenge]

Jax – Hunker Down (46) | Grinnin' Barret (2) | Ringer (1)

Noob Saibot – Dark Sabbath (20) | Seeing Double (26)

D'Vorah – Arachnophobia (5) | Buzzed (36)

Nightwolf – Matoka Warrior (36) [Winner of Online EU West & Ultimate Fighting Arena]

Joker – Ace of Knaves (29) [Winner of Final Kombat]

Kitana – Fan-Fare (15) | Highborn (14)

Kano – Ripper (22) | Dirtbag (1)

Shao Kahn – Risen Emperor (23)

Kollector – Back in the Pack (22)

Skarlet – Blood Drive (4) | Heart Pierce (4)

Kotal Kahn – Ascension (3)

Raiden – Thunder Wave (1)

Last edited:

Comments

Updated to include Liga Latina Finals.
It would be nice to break this apart by major patch, since the vanilla versions of characters are often different than where they end up.

That way we could see how this looks since the last patch, etc.

Or maybe just to keep a separate tally around for the most recent balance patch.

It would be nice to break this apart by major patch, since the vanilla versions of characters are often different than where they end up.

That way we could see how this looks since the last patch, etc.

Or maybe just to keep a separate tally around for the most recent balance patch.
Well looks like I know what I'm doing on my next day off. Have also wanted to add which variation of the character won the tournament

Updated to include Final Kombat. Also, I included EVERY match of Final Kombat instead of the usual T8 because...well, it just felt right. Now that season one is done, I will try to take some time to break it down even further by patch and by which variation won a tournament. If any of you have the major patch histories readily on hand, let me know!

Very sad to see quite a few characters not used at all or once. This point this is what I've deduced.
Character Broke af or OP=Definitely be used.
Character balanced but competitive=will probably be used but majority won't use them if they're in a must win situation.
Character mediocre=will not be seen at a tournament maybe rarely.
Character sucks or low=Ha dream on.

looking at it now, it's not a terrible tier list as is

dlc characters might take a little more time to even out though

Hey y'all, it's official...we are getting another pro tour! I would really like to do this again but customs introduces a bit of a formatting conundrum for me. I am wondering how I should do it. I was thinking one of two ways.

Character (total appearances) Ability (total usage) Tournaments won by character

Or

Character (total appearances) Full loadout (total usage) Tournaments won by character

The first one gives a quick and easy look at what abilities are dominating a particular characters meta and will look less cluttered if a certain character sees a large variety of builds being used. The downside is that this won't show how the abilities were used together in players' variations.

The second may risk clutter but will give a much more in depth view of the evolving meta of character's competitive use and may give anyone quick and easy builds for trying new characters. This is the format I am personally leaning towards.

Let me know what y'all think!

Oh and last question, should I make a new thread or just edit the OP of this thread? I don't know the character limit on TYM posts.

Thanks for all the feedback and I can't wait to watch another pro tour with y'all!!!

Maybe do Character, and then a bulleted list of special used? So like:

RoboCop: 1,000
  • Low Shot: 1,000
  • Flame-Thrower: 1,000
  • Command Grab: 500
  • Spike Trap: 500
  • Wrist Rocket: 500
  • Advancing Auto-9: 2

Yeah that was my thinking for my first example. Your formatting would work perfectly for that (and would probably work for the second one as well) and look very clean.

I could do both. Updating one post with just a quick, clean bulleted list of abilities used and a second post with a bulleted list of full builds used for the character.