What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

D

Deleted member 35141

Did something change I'm having a hard time landing any bnb consistently?
After amp nut 121 keeps missing or after b2 my f3 nut misses and turns into f34 and we all know how that turns out.

Does anyone have people they watch for consistent johnny content? Most I watch have switched to other characters

Error404

Noob
Did something change I'm having a hard time landing any bnb consistently?
After amp nut 121 keeps missing or after b2 my f3 nut misses and turns into f34 and we all know how that turns out.

Does anyone have people they watch for consistent johnny content? Most I watch have switched to other characters
Nah . Everything is the same.

How many of yall still Main Johnny? I mean actually main him and not use anybody else? because shoutouts to all of you man. In a way I wish I stuck with him but I remember how little fun it was using him
I don’t think any player doesn’t “use anybody else” u can still main Johnny and have pocket characters. I for one use Baraka and Kotal and Raiden. But I still consistently do the best with Mr. Cage. And I use him the most. So he is my main. I still have a blast with him. In my online character stats I’m + 100 kills over my deaths. I don’t think Johnny players need a pat on the back just for playing him. He serves his purpose

thlityoursloat

kick kick

Look at this OVERPOWERED footsie MONSTER with +3 and +6 everywhere literally get his entire gameplan foiled by crouching buttons.
The footsie GOD would just get clipped out of both f3 and b3 by erron's aquman trident foot, yes, even when he's oppressing you with his forceballs that people would have you believe are just as plus as pre patch MKX Lao's hatspin.

Let's face it, how can a character be "good at footsies" when all it takes is one good crouching normal and all of a sudden it's miserable trying to open anyone up?
I'm sorry, but to be truthful, this character is only overwhelming when:
a) you play a male who doesn't have crazy downpokes
b) you're just not comfortable neutral crouching often

E; the next game in the tourney, he goes up against a sonya who just d2s him the whole game. Lol.

Last edited:

heildan

NANI?!
I thought he played very well and those were great matches to watch. Might need to watch some of those vs. Sonya matches you talked about.

Anyway, I'll say it again, I still firmly believe that Shock Jock has better tools to deal against most of the cast, specially Erron. I mean, the agressive ones. By how this game was designed, the poke system and alikes, like you've said anything across pokes and faster mid strings literally blows Johnny's game.

Shock Jock's mime is there to make people hesitate to abuse those kind of things. And it does works really well if you can make the right reads, learn from how your opponent plays his character, pay attention to if they have somehow a tendency to punish using the same strings, etc, etc. You can get punished real hard if you mess it up, so better use it carefully. But you know what? It really cover his weaknesses and disrupts people.

I find it hard to deal with people who really gets going on you because they know well about the MU against Sexmachine when I use Showstopper.
That's what makes it hard for me to move on from that variation.

I think from now on we should gather info on how well each of his variations goes against certain characters and MU's, if they're likely harder or easier depending on what you pick.

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
There's nothing like getting yolo d2-ed after +6 or +7 when you do f3.
Hell sometimes it works even on f4.

Makes you want to come back here in this thread and beat all those upplayers with the gamepad.

It's even better when you play against 6framers, now there you find out about how useless Cage really is.

But nooo, monstrous pressure after d1 didnt you hear +6 OMFG

It doesn't matter that Kang does +3 in a 9 frame mid block infinite stagger and skarlet jails 44 +6 into half her movelist guaranteed, those we don't care about, NERF CAGE FFS BROKENTIERWTFNRS

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I thought he played very well and those were great matches to watch. Might need to watch some of those vs. Sonya matches you talked about.

Anyway, I'll say it again, I still firmly believe that Shock Jock has better tools to deal against most of the cast, specially Erron. I mean, the agressive ones. By how this game was designed, the poke system and alikes, like you've said anything across pokes and faster mid strings literally blows Johnny's game.

Shock Jock's mime is there to make people hesitate to abuse those kind of things. And it does works really well if you can make the right reads, learn from how your opponent plays his character, pay attention to if they have somehow a tendency to punish using the same strings, etc, etc. You can get punished real hard if you mess it up, so better use it carefully. But you know what? It really cover his weaknesses and disrupts people.

I find it hard to deal with people who really gets going on you because they know well about the MU against Sexmachine when I use Showstopper.
That's what makes it hard for me to move on from that variation.

I think from now on we should gather info on how well each of his variations goes against certain characters and MU's, if they're likely harder or easier depending on what you pick.
He didn't play poorly, Yammini is a super respectable player, I was just saying that even someone that good can't make Johnny look like anything else other than a piece of junk against someone who's clearly very comfy in the MU.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
You simply can't use Showstopper against Kang. Without threat of poke~nut punch or, normal~mime time, he has nothing to fear and will just F4 all day. Literally every approach is blocked and then it's stagger city. Playing Cage means making reads and taking risks, and you don't get that with Showstopper.

I refuse to play this dogshit Kombat League ever again until they put a ping filter, every fucking game today was 120ms.

Here I come player matches, unfortunate thing is people here always leave after 1 match smh

You simply can't use Showstopper against Kang. Without threat of poke~nut punch or, normal~mime time, he has nothing to fear and will just F4 all day. Literally every approach is blocked and then it's stagger city. Playing Cage means making reads and taking risks, and you don't get that with Showstopper.
The whiff tech is still there, he can’t f4 you to death in a good connection.

Oddly enough in a bad connection you can just 124-121 after d1 on block and beat f4 every time lol so I guess we break even.

heildan

NANI?!
Man, I'm already tired of this patch. Liu is so braindead right now, it really takes all the fun of this game. Fuck KL.

Sometimes it gets tiring of winning without landing a single Krushing Blow while people lands 2 or 3 per match.

Last edited:
Man, I'm already tired of this patch. Liu is so braindead right now, it really takes all the fun of this game. Fuck KL.

Sometimes it gets tiring of winning without landing a single Krushing Blow while people lands 2 or 3 per match.
Did Liu actually get buffed or did everybody else get shittier? I too noticed a massive amount of Liu Kang players and most of them are using his teleport variation.

heildan

NANI?!
Did Liu actually get buffed or did everybody else get shittier? I too noticed a massive amount of Liu Kang players and most of them are using his teleport variation.
Its the poke system change, which is better across the cast. Basically he pokes you into his jailing and the jailing into more jailing everyday til' you get bored to damnation.

heildan

NANI?!
Today was a shitty day to play. KL is laggy as fuck, everyone counterpicks after losing, it got me frustrated to the point of not wanting to play anymore.
But I finished some Jade (that RQ on me), Cetrions and Skarlets to compensate
Everyone seems too comfy about the Cage MU, respecting 124, forceballs, keeps ducking all day.
The lack of an advancing mid or faster move for him is unbearable against some chars like Sub-zero.

Today was a shitty day to play. KL is laggy as fuck, everyone counterpicks after losing, it got me frustrated to the point of not wanting to play anymore.
But I finished some Jade (that RQ on me), Cetrions and Skarlets to compensate
Everyone seems too comfy about the Cage MU, respecting 124, forceballs, keeps ducking all day.
The lack of an advancing mid or faster move for him is unbearable against some chars like Sub-zero.
Thin Ice or DOW? DOW seems even to me but Thin Ice seems rough for us for sure.

DOW 5-5
Thin Ice 4-6

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
It always baffles me to see pro player streams that play Cage and don't get d1 mashed through plus frames all day.

I swear they're paying them to just sit there, it makes no sense.

b34 in neutral? people not backdashing 124 midscreen? Not mashing d1 non stop at any Cage movement?

The run of the mill bullshit is that they got conditioned, but that's crap. The pro players did NOTHING to condition them as Cage has NO OTHER TOOLS to condition with.
If you watch the matches they just walkback forceballs and random b34 and it works for them. What crap.

Condition them with what? Overheads? Throw KBs? Fast mids?

My ass.

I'm so getting tired of this pro player bullshit when it's clear as day they are upplaying the fuck.

heildan

NANI?!
I'm done with him after playing many turtling Kabals. Lul.
Fuck whiff issues, fuck better advancing mids.
Sometimes it looks like a joke.

Mustard did a video on why play Kano when you can play NW. He should do one about why play Johnny when you can play Kang and land 5 KBs.
Almost anyone appears to be a counterpick to him. Wtf.

Last edited:

thlityoursloat

kick kick
It always baffles me to see pro player streams that play Cage and don't get d1 mashed through plus frames all day.

I swear they're paying them to just sit there, it makes no sense.

b34 in neutral? people not backdashing 124 midscreen? Not mashing d1 non stop at any Cage movement?

The run of the mill bullshit is that they got conditioned, but that's crap. The pro players did NOTHING to condition them as Cage has NO OTHER TOOLS to condition with.
If you watch the matches they just walkback forceballs and random b34 and it works for them. What crap.

Condition them with what? Overheads? Throw KBs? Fast mids?

My ass.

I'm so getting tired of this pro player bullshit when it's clear as day they are upplaying the fuck.
The thing is that they're taught from the previous games, and from the current top tiers to not mash like scrubs. When you go up against 1f mid characters that make you guess 52 different ways from said mid, or launch you into 40% (fucking bald black man comes to mind), yeah, you tend to forget about mashing as a viable strat.
Besides, mashing is fucking scrubby, it's not their fault this game actively incentivizes and rewards scrubby bullshit like mashing d2 to get 40% because you commited the awful crime of doing a high.