What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Finally tried Johnny out today, his KBs are buuuulllllshit. Honestly he has two crushing blows (D2 and F4,3) that can be used reliably, the rest of of them are dam near impossible to do in a match unless. Why couldn’t they tie his KBs to his shadow kick or other strings. It’s like they thought “let’s take the shittiest moves he has and then make the KBs on them infuriating to the player, they’ll love that.”

Same thing for his brutalities, it’s like they wanted Johnny to be the hardest character to do anything fun with.
The nut punch KB is actually not that bad, I would it argue being a million times more viable than the F4, 3 one.

Bigrig

Noob
If you use the np as a punisher I'm pretty sure it does basically no more damage than a string into a np.

It's pretty horrendous as a KB.

They should make the regular one popup or something
Or he should get the KB damage from the standard nut punch without amping.

On an slightly unrelated side note they should make nut punch ampable on block.

Wigy

There it is...
It's week one and all but aside from the obvious changes needed to his forceballs not hitting high and his crushing blows. All I want is his f4 to be 11 frames.

It doesn't lead to any hitconfirmable combos. Like just give him a good mid check and I'm happy.

@Wrath0594 too much? Nah, I appreciate it. It's nice to have some direction. Watched the matches again and can see a lot of what you said clear as day. It definitely hurt using uppercut to punish. I'll work on not looking lost and moving better along with the rest of it. Thanks for taking the time to break it down for me.

Last edited:

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
Man, i was so defensive on Johnny not being crap in the beginning but the more i play Jaqui the more i realize how his lack of crushing blows is crippling him.
He is a great charcter and has arguably the best pokes in the game, but his lack of kb is really annoying. It's like he's excluded from that game mechanic completely.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
These kind of people got cage nerfed into the crapper in mkx. There should be a rule to delete all ignorant posts like that.

K03bIPb

Noob
Dude, you can literally check anything. He doesn't need nerfs or buffs. The character is fine. He's not Kotal, or Raiden, or Dvorah who need legitimate help.
But he is not a Erron, Sub, Scorp and other gays who need many nerfs.
Fighting sub-zero I was attacking much more, but he can catch me once to kill cause of mix ups.
I has grab & low, others have full complete mix up to combo to kill enemy.
Johnny is footsies character, but that gays with slides killing that system at all. Devs said that Johnny is mid-range queen, but on midscreen he sucks in compare with top characters.
I have never played ranked against D’vorah or Kotal but 80% is Scorp Sub Erron Scarlet or sometimes Sonya&Jax
How could I fight that characters when I am “balanced”?
Sry, my lang is not so good.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
I... Don’t think it’s bait. He has a point, and he mentioned the D4 which is probably factually our best move.

I’ll say that just because other characters are worse (and some are for sure) doesn’t mean Johnny or any of the mid tier for that matter don’t need minor changes.

Changing Johnny KBs doesn’t mean they can’t buff Kotal. It’s not an opportunity cost. They can do both. I don’t think anyone here is saying “Johnny should be priority 1.” All we’re saying is that once buffs for those characters do roll in and the cast is brought to that even ground, things like not having KBs will hold Johnny back.

Last edited:

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
I... Don’t think it’s bait. He has a point, and he mentioned the D4 which is probably factually our best move.

I’ll say that just because other characters are worse (and some are for sure) doesn’t mean Johnny or any of the mid tier for that matter don’t need minor changes.

Changing Johnny KBs doesn’t mean they can’t buff Kotal. It’s not an opportunity cost. They can do both. I don’t think anyone here is saying “Johnny should be priority 1.” All we’re saying is that once buffs for those characters do roll in and the cast is brought to that even ground, things like not having KBs will hold Johnny back.
But the problem with other character being weak is the fact they're weak.... not the fact that cage is BETTER.

Making a point off of "you can't whine, cage is fine, he has his best move which would be d4 - other characters need buffs, HE DOESN'T NEED ANYTHING" is just a stupid move.

I see you're trying to make sense of that, but he can try and start a conversation in a more rational way.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
But the problem with other character being weak is the fact they're weak.... not the fact that cage is BETTER.

Making a point off of "you can't whine, cage is fine, he has his best move which would be d4 - other characters need buffs, HE DOESN'T NEED ANYTHING" is just a stupid move.

I see you're trying to make sense of that, but he can try and start a conversation in a more rational way.

For sure, bro.

I’m just trying to see where he’s coming from. And I did explain where he’s wrong.

Don’t want us going full echo chamber is all... Like some of the other... Character forums... Cough...

Last edited:
Im starting to get pissed off.

When I try to cancel F4 into NUT PUNCH after an Amp nutpunch, F43 comes out instead of nutpunch and fucks up the whole combo.

Happens to me very often. I'm close to throwing my controller when this happens.

Try canceling into nutpunch very late.
That usually only happens to me when I f4 too late and it whiffs. Are you landing the f4 or whiffing it?
You got release check on? Maybe a dumb question but your username says you're new and I've literally never had this happen since day 1
I fixed it, I just needed to clean the inputs more. I put the buttons on the screen and realized I was inputting A before the down. When I actually focused on it, it worked. Must be in the heat of battle I fuck up the input

Also while on this topic, once you restand them with the nutpunch what is your follow up? Right now I just either throw or jail them with d1 into 244

Wigy

There it is...
I fixed it, I just needed to clean the inputs more. I put the buttons on the screen and realized I was inputting A before the down. When I actually focused on it, it worked. Must be in the heat of battle I fuck up the input

Also while on this topic, once you restand them with the nutpunch what is your follow up? Right now I just either throw or jail them with d1 into 244
D4/throw or 124 when they stop mashing.

I sometimes crossup j2 cause you're plus 5 so a lot of d1's will whiff and you get free pressure.

If they're incredibly mashy I d1 np mb

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
Yeah I wasn't trolling at all. Johnny's d4 is probably his best feature. It low profiles and beats out most character fastest buttons. He can get in fairly easily as well.

The only two characters who really need nerfs are Geras and Erron. Scorpion's mb teleport on block should go, but sub zero is fine. Tom Brady even made a video explaining how his 50 50's can be fuzzy blocked. And I did it without watching it first.
Johnny's d4 isnt gonna win him games. It's his best feature, awesome, but it really does not MAKE HIM win. He just need fixes - like I said before - give him useful KBs, fix hurtboxes in the game and cage is good.

Why would Scorp's tele on block go? It's punishable and if you block the teleport you have all the time in the world to punish both versions ... except they waste more meter when MBing it on block - definetely keep it.

Why Geras needs a nerf? Like, really, what makes you say that?

Make A-aron's OHs a mid and we gucci. Same with Sub. The game would be SOOOO much better.

Wigy

There it is...
Johnny's d4 isnt gonna win him games. It's his best feature, awesome, but it really does not MAKE HIM win. He just need fixes - like I said before - give him useful KBs, fix hurtboxes in the game and cage is good.

Why would Scorp's tele on block go? It's punishable and if you block the teleport you have all the time in the world to punish both versions ... except they waste more meter when MBing it on block - definetely keep it.

Why Geras needs a nerf? Like, really, what makes you say that?

Make A-aron's OHs a mid and we gucci. Same with Sub. The game would be SOOOO much better.
Geras is ridiculous in the right hands. You can barely ever take your turn. He gets like 450 in the corner. He's plus 8 on a few strings with recall. His d1 is out and out the best poke in the game no contest. His f21 string is amazing. Launches and ends -3 so it's never really your turn with his poke. His command grab has crazy range f2 tick is so hard to deal with. His wakeup U2 has insane range and is very fast. Both variations are great.

He's just the most complete character in the cast at the moment.

(These are obviously early impressions but you asked)

Can't really be zoned out, has an answer to everything.