Do you think Projectiles should trade each other

• Yes, it would balance Zoning a bit

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • No, MK should stay MK

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I'm sorry but I thnk this is a terrible idea for MK10. The thing that makes MK zoning unique from SF is that every character has a different type of projectile with different properties. How would projectiles like Shang Tsungs ground skull or Sektors up missile trade? Would Strykers gunshots destroy the other projectiles and then still hit the opponent with the second shot? Reptiles force balls and Sub Zeros ice ball would become nearly useless outside of combos. The best part about zoning in MK is the diversity and there is no way to have fireball diversity but still have trading.

Stuff that comes from the ground or sky would obviously not trade, except in maybe super weird circumstances like mirror matches.
Strykers projectile obvious wouldn't trade its super fast.

Other projectiles would all have varying degrees of durability, like in Marvel and SF.

Basic projectiles would obviously only have 1 hit of durability, 2 with the EX versions. Certain projectiles like Forceballs would have 2 hits, so it eat other projectiles.

As for Sub, most projectiles would be either high or low, sub's could be in the middle so it doesn't naturally trade with other fireballs, except for forceballs that have huge hitboxes.

Even the you would still have lots of weird projectiles that can't trade ever, like Smoke bombs, or Kenshi's bullshit. So even with fireball trading, you would never truly get ride of NRS loony toons branded zoning.

I have no idea if it would make the game better or worse, but they should at least test it internally.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I say leave MK the way it is in regards to projectiles. Tone down Kabal's IAGB for balance.
Are you saying Liu's fireballs should be left the way they are?

Good god MK10's balancing agenda is already doomed.

RiverHB

Noob
Are you saying Liu's fireballs should be left the way they are?

Good god MK10's balancing agenda is already doomed.
I was talking about how projectiles should not cancel like SF. And yes I think Liu Kang's Fireballs are fine. Strong, but not ridiculous. The only two projectiles I hated in MK9 were Kabal's IAGB and Smoke's Cloud.

No. Most reasons have already been listed. Each character have their own ways of dealing with certain things. Every character have a weak point and a strong point. Everyone shouldn't have a counter-zoning tool and trades would suggest that. To get around a projectile, we have to strategically do it. Some have reflects, teleports, parries, glow, or armor through it full screen. But some characters have nothing for it but they may excel at something else. So if you want to get around something, there should be thought put into it with it being consequences if you make the wrong decision. You can't deny that if there where projectile trades, this game would be cluttered with people mindlessly trading projectiles majority of the match. And that would be boring.

STRYKIE

I was talking about how projectiles should not cancel like SF. And yes I think Liu Kang's Fireballs are fine. Strong, but not ridiculous. The only two projectiles I hated in MK9 were Kabal's IAGB and Smoke's Cloud.
I know. And I also disagree. But you need to play more competent Liu Kangs if you think his projectiles are fair but Kabal's aren't. A lot of players are under the optical illusion that his IAFB recovers slower when the only difference is that it takes 6 more frames for the fireball itself to enter active hit/blockstun than IAGB.

The problem with Kabal is his ability to nomad dash after it into a standing reset (or cancel if necessary) and the stupid pre-emptive hitbox on his buzzsaw animation that make the vast majority of moves unable to punish accordingly. No point playing Liu over Kabal at the highest level unless you're directly counterpicking Kabal with him.

I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of other dirt goes unnoticed because of how many players instinctively gravitate towards the established top 10 until they're nerfed. Remember how bad Jax supposedly was before all the buffs and THEN we realized how much other ridiculous shit he had in the first place?

A lot of things needs a total overhaul, but yeah, Smoke Bomb should also be fixed. A -9 on block tracking mid launcher? Wut?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
With MK's projectiles...it flat out just doesn't work. A lot of them were designed around the premise that they do not collide with each other.

RiverHB

Noob
I know. And I also disagree. But you need to play more competent Liu Kangs if you think his projectiles are fair but Kabal's aren't. A lot of players are under the optical illusion that his IAFB recovers slower when the only difference is that it takes 6 more frames for the fireball itself to enter active hit/blockstun than IAGB.

The problem with Kabal is his ability to nomad dash after it into a standing reset (or cancel if necessary) and the stupid pre-emptive hitbox on his buzzsaw animation that make the vast majority of moves unable to punish accordingly. No point playing Liu over Kabal at the highest level unless you're directly counterpicking Kabal with him.

I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of other dirt goes unnoticed because of how many players instinctively gravitate towards the established top 10 until they're nerfed. Remember how bad Jax supposedly was before all the buffs and THEN we realized how much other ridiculous shit he had in the first place?

A lot of things needs a total overhaul, but yeah, Smoke Bomb should also be fixed. A -9 on block tracking mid launcher? Wut?
Those are all good points. However, those extra 6 frames of activation seem to make a big difference. The Nomad Dash is a much better follow up move as you stated compared to anything Liu has, contributing to the reason why I didn't mention Liu Kang to begin with.

STRYKIE

Those are all good points. However, those extra 6 frames of activation seem to make a big difference. The Nomad Dash is a much better follow up move as you stated compared to anything Liu has, contributing to the reason why I didn't mention Liu Kang to begin with.
Morally, it doesn't. 6 frames is literally 1/10th of a second. Both can be hit-confirmed from a Jumpkick into a combo in the corner and both jail on block point blank (although again, Liu can't guarantee anything because of how inconsistent the rest of his frame data is compared to Kabal's). All I'm pointing out is that it's not just air fireballs that are the problem, but I guess you realize that now lol.

I only stress this because I feel like the same mistake is gonna be made with MK9 and Injustice where people don't realize some other things until the flavor of the moment is out of their skin, and then it's too late when they do. But I'm kinda going off topic, the thread has nothing to do with this. :p

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
The biggest game franchise in the Fighting genre. the game that is the headliner at all major Tournaments. The game that attracts the most players and the largest prize money. Please tell me just how does no one want to play SF?

I'm fine with MK being different from SF, Projectile trading or not both offers interesting takes on zoning wars. One isn't better than the other, and both can offer new tactics and thinking as long each zoning game is properly balance within each separate game engine.

But you are doing yourself no favor's by talking out of your ass and putting down SF without a shred of evidence to back up your claim.
no. those are tournament players who are picking the character that will get them the easiest wins (ryu) so they can win money. i'm talking about everyone here who would rather change mk10 and give it something it never had instead of play another game that always had it. in another post that you missed i said capcom community are content with their boring game. you're doing yourself no favors dreaming up the meaning of my post instead of just reading what i said. even op said he gave up on this thread because he didn't think it through. now i'm going to unwatch this thread one more time and i'd appreciate it if you harvard graduates would stop quoting me.

No way guys. PLEASE, MK10 should be MK9 with better graphics, more characters and some fixes. Damn this suggestions, I am starting to really worrying that I won't like MK10 and i'll keep playing MK9 when its released.

I don't really mind either system, but I want MK to keep it's identity. The run mechanic was one of the things I liked about most MKs and the actual gameplay during matches lost some of their uniqueness for me when compared to other fighting games. Making some or all projectiles tradable would possibly stop the actual fighting feeling like an MK game. The gameplay can be balanced with non-tradable projectiles, they just need to tone it down a bit.
IAFB are fun, but they should be a lot harder to do and they shouldn't make it a characters main tool if they are not prepared to balance it properly. Players should not be able to rely on only one special move to do the majority of their damage. As much as a rush down character has to mix up his setups in order to get in, so should a zoner have to mix it up to keep their opponent in the zone they want. All the zoning characters need to have unique zoning, you can't have a bunch that all zone from full screen, some should be zoning mid screen or other areas besides.

Animations of the character and the actual projectile/s could probably be more visible and obvious so that people have an easier time of seeing what is actually going on.

Either option could work, but I hope it still feels like MK when I play it. I miss the run button, but the better footsies was a good sacrifice and no block button would improve the footsies even more too but would it still be MK? Is a fighting game not also characterised by how it plays and not just its characters or aesthetic design?

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
trading projectiles work in sf cause theres like 3 different projectiles,
mk have a much larger variety of projectiles so this would be much harder to do

haketh

Noob
I'm iffy on the idea, unlike msot people though I would like to see them do something like Marvel's durability system.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
again fuck that "mk must be mk", srsly what defines mk? it's all about fatality, gore,... Competitive players want deep gameplay, casual players don't give a shit about gameplay, always just "story should be this", "story will be abc xyz", they don't even use block button and don't care about fireball trading, tier list,... you guys are getiing too dramatic about MK gameplay when MK actually always change lol. yeah, how about bring back run button, stage transition uppercut, corner pushback, sidestep, chars' own combat styles, air combo, death trap, motor kombat, chess kombat, puzzle kombat, konquest, p1 advantage, bugs and glitches. Yeah, bring back everything, make mk10 the real mk game
MK changes with every game, but the core mechanics such as Block Button and Phantom projectiles are always a constant. The Injustice Clash system, to me, seems like MK. When say, Raiden does Torpedo and Liu Kang does Flying kick.... and they both connect in mid air..... That's an early version of Clash System. What Defines Mortal Kombat is the Gore of the Fatalities for the casual gamer, but the definition comes from MK's deep story. Having Both players camping in their respective corners repeating projectiles the whole match is SF NOT MK. BTW your avatar change is mildly disturbing.