What's new

MK1 Story Spoilers Discussion

Indeed! It was absolutely incredible. I had to check if either Shang Tsung were Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, because the delivery sounded exactly like him. I hope Alan Lee will be back, because he was outstanding.
Him and Quan Chi are the two major stand-outs. Both did a fantastic job with expressions and delivery.
This is exactly how I feel. I do not know why they felt the need to go so large scale with every title. It was enough to center the story around Mileena's dilemma. Raiden's ascension and Shang being a two faced ass. It could have then developed in to the next game.

Unfortunately now they are going to have to go even larger.
Bigger BIGGER BIGGER!!! is seriously the death of storytelling. None of the characters introduced in the game are even relevant to the resolution of the story. Think how insane that is on a fundamental story structure level. Such a failure.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Quan Chi was really disappointing in the story tbh. It was cool to see him there, but he was nothing but a goon. And I don't mean that in the sense that he was just a jobber, I mean it seemed like he was Shang Tsung's henchman. Quan Chi in the old timeline, as annoying as it was, was always in control of any given situation. And if he wasn't, it was just because it was part of a larger plan. X's beatdown of Quan was incredible, but only because he had been this unstoppable schemer for over a decade.

Skybox

Noob
Quan Chi was really disappointing in the story tbh. It was cool to see him there, but he was nothing but a goon. And I don't mean that in the sense that he was just a jobber, I mean it seemed like he was Shang Tsung's henchman. Quan Chi in the old timeline, as annoying as it was, was always in control of any given situation. And if he wasn't, it was just because it was part of a larger plan. X's beatdown of Quan was incredible, but only because he had been this unstoppable schemer for over a decade.
His wide eye shots after every sentence were pretty hilarious tho

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
So how are y’all feeling about the leak that cyrax is a woman now?
I kinda like it. Also, someone said the leak supposedly implies Sektor and Cyrax are no longer cyborgs, but more like soldiers in super suits like Iron Man or something. This, IMO, is exactly what I'd hope they do from now on, as it allows both human AND "cyborg" versions to make sense as costumes. Though I imagine there will be no "toss your head as a projectile" move.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
well

it pretty obvious that they , NRS, did this, in order to force a situation of diversity and inclusion , kinda, an artificial woke effort to be put into MK1

anyway, Cyrax never had much deep as character, so, could be that , since they did a parody with Janet Cage in the story mode, so, could happen that this change might work for Cyrax ?

time will tell, let's see the final result and the astethic side of this on screen, when released, and judge if this change is for good or evil regarding the Cyrax character

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Sort of nonsensical. Look at it in universe with Madam Bo. Liu Kang literally thought “fuck that guy who trained me, he should be an old lady”. Like damn dude the disrespect.

I don’t like gender swaps in general, but I don’t see how Liu could have interacted with Cyrax enough to decide making him a woman would improve anything.

Unless we get an hourglass shaped robot, then I’d understand Liu’s grand design :DOGE

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I kinda like it. Also, someone said the leak supposedly implies Sektor and Cyrax are no longer cyborgs, but more like soldiers in super suits like Iron Man or something. This, IMO, is exactly what I'd hope they do from now on, as it allows both human AND "cyborg" versions to make sense as costumes. Though I imagine there will be no "toss your head as a projectile" move.
That’s actually a cool ass change. I can’t see Bi Han being ok with the cyber initiative, he loves himself way too much to think he needs improvement physically, but would accept what he sees as weapons.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Two things here

1. I hate Cyrax being a woman and I really REALLY HOPE it will not happen and we will see our friendly neighbourhood cyborg again. He can be black, he even should be - I don't care. But genderswap is something that is not something that I'm in favor of.
  2. they cannot create Cyrax & Sektor as a regular cyborgs/robots, so that they won't look like kameo-versions of themselves due to simple reason: A lot of fatalities are now involving face smashing, facial expressions and even mouth opening - even for ninja's - the masks are off for most of the moves. How can you do it with Cyrax & Sektor's robotic heads?

This leak was the same that had Jade on It? It is trustworthy?

I though It was just another fan fic, just like thousands of It before. I'm still waiting for Sonya on a red wig.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
This leak was the same that had Jade on It? It is trustworthy?

I though It was just another fan fic, just like thousands of It before. I'm still waiting for Sonya on a red wig.

It wasn't Sonya on a red wig, it was Shang on a baldcap.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Two things here

1. I hate Cyrax being a woman and I really REALLY HOPE it will not happen and we will see our friendly neighbourhood cyborg again. He can be black, he even should be - I don't care. But genderswap is something that is not something that I'm in favor of.
  2. they cannot create Cyrax & Sektor as a regular cyborgs/robots, so that they won't look like kameo-versions of themselves due to simple reason: A lot of fatalities are now involving face smashing, facial expressions and even mouth opening - even for ninja's - the masks are off for most of the moves. How can you do it with Cyrax & Sektor's robotic heads?
I didnt understand your second point... Didn't xrays and fatalities involving facial expressions/face slashing/etc work perfectly fine on the cyborgs in MK9 and MKX? I remember Scorpion's face slash fatality on triborg - it was fine, he just slashed the helmet and there was no facial expression and no one cared at all, while other human characters made painful expressions. Actually, I think it was also exactly the same case with Jason and Ferra/Tor. So they arent making them "non-robots" because of facial animations, if that is what you are saying.

If they really want to, they can just make use of the "its just a cyber suit" and have the helmet open up during certain animations, like Iron Man, even if they are using their cyber skin.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I just want the helmets to conceal their entire faces. But Sub-Zero's ending has me worried.

They are obviously going for a face-showing helmet because MAH EMOTIONAL FACES!! It wasn't enough for them to ruin Ermac, they have to ruin the two cyborgs as well.

sigh Hopefully there will be a fully faced helmet as gear.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I just want the helmets to conceal their entire faces. But Sub-Zero's ending has me worried.

View attachment 21047

They are obviously going for a face-showing helmet because MAH EMOTIONAL FACES!! It wasn't enough for them to ruin Ermac, they have to ruin the two cyborgs as well.

sigh Hopefully there will be a fully faced helmet as gear.
I’m sure they will have gear for a full face. Definitely going more of an Iron Man route. Bi Han calls Sektor a genius in his ending, and he certainly wasn’t in the old timeline.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Sort of nonsensical. Look at it in universe with Madam Bo. Liu Kang literally thought “fuck that guy who trained me, he should be an old lady”. Like damn dude the disrespect.
Ironically, I can see the narrative explantion - genetic dice. It's a 50-50 on whether the child will be born a man or a woman.

(though it is funny that this didn't seem to happen to the previous timelines)

But yeah, we know what this is. A pathetic attempt to appease the feminazis and suckle on that ESG tit. Heaven forbid we make a new female Cyber Lin Kuei to take Cyrax's place until MK2. No let's genderswap him instead - as well as Fujin - and artificially (and lazily) increase the female numbers of the roster without doing the work.

And before any of you accuse me of the usual misogyny bullshit, I'd like to see the Mileena fans' reaction if Mileena was genderswapped into a guy in this new timeline.

MK Twitter would literally melt.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
And before any of you accuse me of the usual misogyny bullshit, I'd like to see the Mileena fans' reaction if Mileena was genderswapped into a guy in this new timeline.

MK Twitter would literally melt.
Oh yeah the average Mileena twitter fan would hate it if NRS made her a hot twunk like Reptile. Please don't do this to any of the sexy female characters in the game NRS, I'm begging you.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
but what's even the point of gender-swapping? Can't they just come up with a brand new character instead?

Why ruin something that is already well established and have a decently large fanbase just for the sake of... yea, of what exactly?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
but what's even the point of gender-swapping? Can't they just come up with a brand new character instead?

Why ruin something that is already well established and have a decently large fanbase just for the sake of... yea, of what exactly?
The point: to appear more inclusive

Was it necessary? no. Does it make a difference in terms of story? Not really given that Cyrax has had 0.03% of character development since MK3.
I think they only people it will bother are diehard fans of Cyrax.
If they turned around and said Ermac is now a collection of souls that looks like a woman...I wouldve give 2 shits personally but maybe someone who is used to Ermac looking like a guy would get bothered. But ultimately, it doesnt matter.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
But ultimately, it doesnt matter.
To someone who doesn't give a flying fuck about the lore, maybe. Or who is only interested in performing fatalities.

What is even the point of becoming a fan of those characters when their entire story/gender/identity crumbles on a whim and becomes something else entirely? At this point, fuck it, it doesn't have any rhyme, reason or consequence. Make Fujin a woman and make her goddess of the Netherealm. I mean, you already made Kuai Liang become Scorpion so what's another 180'? Make Sonya leader of the Red Dragon, make Mavado a Shokan, make Kabal a Tarkatan. Why? I don't know, fuck it!

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I don't buy the "appearing more inclusive" thing or whatever.

We're talking about a character who's been a robot for 99% of his existence, has little to no relevance in the story, and even if he did, his gender would have nothing to do with it. The entirety of the character's "coolness" comes from the fact that he's a cool robot. If Cyrax isn't one this time around they're fighting an uphill battle to make him interesting anyway.

"But why swapping his gender?". Well, why the fuck not. Tarkatans are COVID patients now, Scorpion is an entirely different person who used to be Sub-Zero, Quan Chi is an outworlder. IMO those are bigger changes story wise than changing the gender of a character whose gender wasn't ever important anyway. Tanya's change in this story was a considerably bigger change to the character than "she's a man now" would be, she's my favorite character in the series and you don't see me act like the world is ending.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
On the Cyrax issue, I think the motive is pretty simple. They were probably aware that people are/would be complaining about the lack of female characters in the game and Kombat Packs, but had already decided on the characters, so they picked one to character to gender swap.

I think it's dumb because there are a bunch of cool female characters already (like Sareena who everyone seems to want) or they could create some new ones like new female Lin Kuei or even Harumi. Just general contemporary big corp laziness, I guess.