What's new

MK1 Story Spoilers Discussion

So this new timeline is just some arbitrary timeline?
No, this is the timeline that Liu Kang created at the end of 11. Shang's is ALSO the timeline that he created at the end of Aftermath. Both endings are officially canon.

However, the battle in 11 broke time WAY worse than just two timelines. Cue the mashup characters. So, basically, everybody's ladder ending in 11 is canon as well. EVERYBODY became the keeper of time, in a timeline all to themselves.

This story had potential up to some point, then it starts going downhill. Yeah, it's a fun mess but it's still a mess.
Honestly, up to the reveal of the big bad I think it's maybe the strongest overall story they've put out so far. The character work is actually quite strong, the narrative has good drive and a lot of different characters get focus, either in the their own chapters or as the duo partner in somebody else's.

But the need to create a HUGE UNIVERSE THREATENING event at the end kind of sucks the oxygen out of the room. I really feel like if they'd redone Onaga and had him be the final villain, with almost no other changes, the story would have worked out a bit better. Everything up to Sindel's death and Mileena becoming Empress is pretty good. But then it just kind of devolves into "Oh look, Armageddon" and has to race to an ending that doesn't feel wholly earned.

Also, I think you could have made this story, and this ending, work a lot better if it turned out at the end that the ENTIRE THING was a setup from Liu Kang to get all the key players on the same side. That there was never necessarily a universe ending threat, just the concept of one to unite everyone around. Which could even still have inspired Havik at the end. Oh well.

I give it props for going all in on Mileena as heir, for fixing Sindel, and for giving us a really enjoyable Shang Tsung, even if he's a big time jobber again.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
The sad thing is that they definitely explained that the multiverse didn't exist before, but was basically created at the end of Aftermath. I kinda had the hope we would get a montage like the one Raiden and Liu fighting in MK11 but that explained to us that every main Mortal Kombat game has taken place in it's own timeline. Because it was the perfect way to explain every inconsistency, and plothole, and retcon, and the plotholes those retcones created, which were then retconned again... it's a mess. But if every MK game had taken place in it's own timeline, then we were free of all of that.

On the other hand with this at least the characters we loved for decades were not erased at the end of MK11, but are alive and well each in their own timeline, which does bring a smile to my face.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I thought some of what i saw was cringe. Quan Chi, Ermac, Shang seemed to be in it ALOT. I thought the Jerrod/Ermac thing was silly. The Kronika being Shang Tsung from another timeline thing. and they showed literal clips from MK11 of Kronika and the hour glass. Regardless it will be a nice playthrough I think and from what i say we don't get unlockables throughout? Maybe that will come with the day 1 patch. All of those kostumes were great. However. aside from Takeda in the KP. I definitely think the Kombat kiddos are all sitting this one out.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Don't want to spoil myself too much by watching the whole thing but did they actually mention Hanzo in this timeline and not just the alts?

I still don't get why NRS fused even Sonya with my aunt, but not Shang Tsung with Quan Chi to create an actual boss fight. I'm speechless with this ending, and specially the way everything ties in the end with a quick and simple bar banter lol

MK1 seemed like it was going different places, until it wasn't. It's safe to say the next games are all gonna be about rehashing and fusing some past story elements + multiverse, which is what has been happening through all of the NRS era.

Was the real Sub-Zero mentioned (Kuai Liang) or the real Scorpion for that matter from another timeline?

Can we please get the real ones back? Because Bi-Han is Noob Saibot tbh and I don’t wanna play as him.

is it possible an Invasion season will revolve around Kuai?

Was the real Sub-Zero mentioned (Kuai Liang) or the real Scorpion for that matter from another timeline?

Can we please get the real ones back? Because Bi-Han is Noob Saibot tbh and I don’t wanna play as him.

is it possible an Invasion season will revolve around Kuai?
Kuai Liang is Scorpion now. Called by his name, absolutely no question. Even gets his signature scar during the story. No mention of Hanzo that I saw.

Bi-Han is still Sub-Zero when all is said and done, and still Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei. Kuai, along with Smoke, founds the Shirai Ryu.

It's... weird. I love Kuai, I hate playing as Scorpion. Love the character, just not his moveset/playstyle. And now I have to, because it's weird. Though Bi-Han was so much fun in the beta I'll continue playing him as well.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
so basically they had the potential to start over everything from scratch - yet they written themselves to the wall of the new armageddon? I'm reading only this topic, haven't seen the story by myself.

If that's true - that would be a disappointment. But expected disappointment having in mind Dom's influence.

Additional question:

1) is my boi a top jobber in this story or did he accidentaly win some irrelevant fight and had his time to shine at least for couple seconds?

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
so basically they had the potential to start over everything from scratch - yet they written themselves to the wall of the new armageddon? I'm reading only this topic, haven't seen the story by myself.

If that's true - that would be a disappointment. But expected disappointment having in mind Dom's influence.

Additional question:

1) is my boi a top jobber in this story or did he accidentaly win some irrelevant fight and had his time to shine at least for couple seconds?
1) yes, he didnt really have a time to shine though (i watched it till the 11th chapter so i dont know about the aftermath)

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
i have to say, tanya’s way of using sansetsukon has impressed me a lot

Benlo

PrayforSareena
Well, each last game was kinda a reinterpretation of old MK games.
MK9 was MK1 to MK3 replay.
MKX was like MK4 replay.
MK1 being re-reading of MK DA to MK Armageddon, I guess they will finally write a new story after MK1.

Don't expect the unexpected, I suppose...

MuMuGuy

Noob
How long is the Story Mode and are any characters unlocked by beating Story Mode? That’s all I care about.

Benlo

PrayforSareena
So Aftermath-like dlc around Havik (+Ermac and Quan Chi) story ?
With Takeda and Kenshi against him ?

Sareena still has a chance ending as dlc, so. Havik need a female fighter :cool: