What's new

MK1 Patch Notes and Balance Adjustments - March 6, 2024

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
From what I've seen, there are far more people asking for the game to be opened up and let shit rock. Peacemaker was step in the right direction. It seemed that whatever you could imagine might work with him, ended up working. That's actually fun. Even he's been toned down after only a week.

Nerfs aren't fun. The game just keeps getting watered down, which is insane because it was already pretty bare bones from the start. Making cooldown worse on Kameos doesn't make the game more fun, either. Being able to do the crazy/fun stuff more often is what makes games fun.

We are 6 months into the game's life. God forbid NRS actually do something like add new moves or something.

But hey....at least we can all still enjoy the incredible, revolutionary and innovative single player experience that is Invasions.
Spot on.

rifraf

Noob
there are just different opinions clashing of what an FG should be. NRS is rather going the "trade blow for blow" - path this time. nothing is for free on offense and nothing effective can be applied without playing the mindgame. that leads to lower damage output and many neutral resets. you and others prefer the "touch of death" - philosophy. characters are so strong that whoever gains momentum wins unless the opponent makes a lucky guess and can start insane momentum himself. i can just say i prefer the first approach.
I quite like the balance of the game overall. But saying NRS is going the "trade blow for blow" path this time makes me question things like Geras' 1 bar breaker, Sento sandwich and constant 50/50's, Raiden's safe stormcells and safe overhead, etc. and that's from the top of my head. I think if they're going for "fair" then all characters should have this kind of BS, not just selected few because... reasons.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
there are just different opinions clashing of what an FG should be. NRS is rather going the "trade blow for blow" - path this time. nothing is for free on offense and nothing effective can be applied without playing the mindgame. that leads to lower damage output and many neutral resets. you and others prefer the "touch of death" - philosophy. characters are so strong that whoever gains momentum wins unless the opponent makes a lucky guess and can start insane momentum himself. i can just say i prefer the first approach.
I don't enjoy the touch of death type gameplay unless it's something super rare and insanely hard to do.

I just want the characters to all have fun options. I want there to be actual archetypes. I want there to be more than 3 viable Kameos and give the Kameos more than one damn move that actually is useful.

I understand that everyone likes different things. I just truly feel like NRS has no clue what they're doing, though. The game already feels like it's in maintenance mode and they've moved on to whatever the next project is. We will keep getting DLC, most likely, but I feel like there will never be the sweeping changes that many of us would like to see.

I quite like the balance of the game overall. But saying NRS is going the "trade blow for blow" path this time makes me question things like Geras' 1 bar breaker, Sento sandwich and constant 50/50's, Raiden's safe stormcells and safe overhead, etc. and that's from the top of my head. I think if they're going for "fair" then all characters should have this kind of BS, not just selected few because... reasons.
well, i can talk only about raiden cause i mained him and i'm sure that NRS is just judging this character weirdly and think players need some L2P. they might overvalue the weakness that he has just one overhead and that doesnt even launch.

but i dont think its a stray from the main concept, just a questionable balance judgement.

I don't enjoy the touch of death type gameplay unless it's something super rare and insanely hard to do.

I just want the characters to all have fun options. I want there to be actual archetypes. I want there to be more than 3 viable Kameos and give the Kameos more than one damn move that actually is useful.

I understand that everyone likes different things. I just truly feel like NRS has no clue what they're doing, though. The game already feels like it's in maintenance mode and they've moved on to whatever the next project is. We will keep getting DLC, most likely, but I feel like there will never be the sweeping changes that many of us would like to see.
fair points. i dont agree about the kameo situation at all though, there are many valuable and underexplored kameos. i gave all of them a deep dive and cant think of an unviable one. well shujinko might be pretty useless sometimes depending on the matchup, like when he copies moves that your base char already has better versions of. but else? nah.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?

I have an almost touch of death with havik but it requires 2 meter full kameo and fatal blow , id like if crazy shit was expensive across the board

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I have an almost touch of death with havik but it requires 2 meter full kameo and fatal blow , id like if crazy shit was expensive across the board
Having a huge, crazy combo under those circumstances is really cool, in my opinion. Geese had at least one touch of death combo in Tekken 7 but you had to have full meter, be on the Howard Estate stage without any walls broken yet and actually have the execution to put it all together.

NRS is just way too safe with everything. This is Mortal Kombat!!! Make it feel like MK! Watching the clips from the last tournament in Brazil has nearly put me to sleep. No knock on the players, I know how good they are, so it's certainly nothing against them.

MK11 was even more boring to watch (and play). I absolutely cannot believe they used the least fun MK game of all time (MK11) as the base for MK1.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Having a huge, crazy combo under those circumstances is really cool, in my opinion. Geese had at least one touch of death combo in Tekken 7 but you had to have full meter, be on the Howard Estate stage without any walls broken yet and actually have the execution to put it all together.

NRS is just way too safe with everything. This is Mortal Kombat!!! Make it feel like MK! Watching the clips from the last tournament in Brazil has nearly put me to sleep. No knock on the players, I know how good they are, so it's certainly nothing against them.

MK11 was even more boring to watch (and play). I absolutely cannot believe they used the least fun MK game of all time (MK11) as the base for MK1.
See i agree with you but im on the fence , i loved 9 to bits and 10 ..i loved injustice 1 , never played 2 cause i was too broke at the time .. i hated 11 so much i left after about 3 months , but this one is such an improvement on 11 that im actually happy with it , i agree with a lot of peoples complaints but the improvement is so great that im givng them time .. the game got pushed out a year early im convinced of it

NRS is just way too safe with everything. This is Mortal Kombat!!! Make it feel like MK!
This is basically what it all boils down to for me. MK should be totally off the rails crazy. It's in this no-man's-land of being disrespected as a fighting game, while also being sort of difficult for true newbies to pick up, and also being boring to watch. I feel NRS has this weird inferiority complex about wanting to be taken seriously as a fighting game, and it comes at the cost of not being as fun of a video game and not being faithful to how ridiculous MK is as a franchise.

I think it's sort of clear that NRS doesn't have the rock solid vision as a studio to compete with the likes of Tekken for sheer gameplay depth and tight design, so why not blow the doors off and make the game flashy and fun? Make every character and kameo broke as fuck, add tons of combo paths, and just speed the entire game up 15%.

Peacemaker's ridiculous 60% combo or whatever wasn't bad inherently, it was bad because all other characters don't have that. Give the other characters that.

Variety is the spice of life and all that. People get super touchy about TOD or huge damage combos, but it's really about the novelty of them . If you can do 80% off every touch, it fucking sucks, if you can do 100% with full meter on a specific hit but only if your back is to the corner (3s makoto), then it can be hype as fuck. Oddly assist fighters are NOTORIOUS for having this because usually they're so overtuned that even one character with a pixel of health and full bar can wreck an opponents team if they get the right read, but MK1 doesn't quite have that.

It also keeps tension in the match. If someone is at full hp and the opponent is near dead, but with tons of resources, knowing they can chunk you for 70%+ means that it doesn't feel like it's over. If the most you can do is 30-40%, they need a bunch of guesses to get it done, and it means you'll see less tension when someone gets the early lead.

Doing it right is hard, for sure, but mk1 feels like it's in an awkward middle ground where they're flirting with it for some characters, while others have to play "fair".

Edit-

I know Tom is a polarizing figure here, but I think his most recent video nails exactly one of the major issues in this game with a really good example. It's only a minute in or so and I think shows perfectly the "blandness" of mk1.

CipherJ

Noob
There's another nerf to Baraka, this time for a Kameo I did not use.

So now I can say buff Baraka without people squealing about him not needing anything.
They did buff Baraka. By nerfing Johnny, Kenshi, Peacemaker, and Raiden. That makes Baraka better in the meta.

CipherJ

Noob
Ya, true. Some still maintain that Cyrax is still a good pick for Baraka.

Buffs for under utilized kameo moves are needed.

Scorpion is going to have a rough time too. Javier makes Khameleon look viable for Scorp. May be true for Baraka as well. Let see if Baraka players can adapt.

Stryker is brain dead and still does the same thing. But less frequently. Be cool if they gave Stryker a slight buff to other Kameo moves as compensation.

Last edited:
Oh yeah Baraka still has options, cyrax is fine, as are Kano and jax. I just like crying about Baraka

I feel like especially Scorpion, but Baraka as well, and other characters I can’t think of atm, need additional specials, strings, or tweaks on what their strings do. Some character’s game plan is way too simplified. Left over laziness from mk11. Like I’ve been having fun with Quan chi buffs and peacemaker has/had everything under the sun and they make for fun character archetypes whose strategy really can change noticeably via the kameo system.

rifraf

Noob
I know Tom is a polarizing figure here, but I think his most recent video nails exactly one of the major issues in this game with a really good example. It's only a minute in or so and I think shows perfectly the "blandness" of mk1.
He's been so polarising, at least for me, because the way he chooses to speak about the game is extreme. He exaggerates so much, to the point it's impossible to understand if this guy loves or hates this game.

Anyway, personally I feel the game is super fun and not bland at all. It's a blast to play ranked and watching tournaments. I do wish some characters were a bit more open and allowed a bit more player creativity, while some others were a bit more powerful but I do feel the game is like 80% there in terms of gameplay. If they buffed some characters up a bit and gave them a couple more moves like Quan Chi, then we'd be golden. I don't want the game to be an anime assist game where everything is super fast and the assists are as powerful as the characters. I like where we're at.

WB announced the switch from Triple A to live service games this year, and since mk1 already is, say hello to the foreseeable future of the mk franchise. Season after season of this.
Ah, I see what you mean. It's certainly possible. Time will tell.

trufenix

bye felicia
Ah, I see what you mean. It's certainly possible. Time will tell.
You say possible like there's an alternative. If mk fails it gets cancelled or sold, as long as it succeeds, mk1 seasons. It was the plan with Gotham Knights, it's the plan with mk1, it's the plan with suicide squad, it's the plan with the next hp.

Odds are we will see an announcement of a similarly feature less live service injustice in the next few months.

It sucks, but it's that or watch nrs / mk get sold to Amazon or Disney and start literally all over again.

You say possible like there's an alternative.
The franchise is strong enough as a whole where if this game does bomb, they could indeed produce another. Having said that, I don't believe it is bombing and is still selling well, so the continued seasonal model, at least for a few years, is what I expect.

Again, we'll see what happens.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Honestly, this patch was really good in my opinion. It toned down lots of braindead gameplay (which still exists), making it more in line with what it should be. Then again, it's really hard to balance kameos when certain characters benefit so much from specific ones, and others don't.

Really surprised, and kinda worried we haven't seen other changes to other characters. I wouldn't want this game to be the same with Mk11, where some character's frame data never changed for the better (even when needed).

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Honestly, this patch was really good in my opinion. It toned down lots of braindead gameplay (which still exists), making it more in line with what it should be. Then again, it's really hard to balance kameos when certain characters benefit so much from specific ones, and others don't.

Really surprised, and kinda worried we haven't seen other changes to other characters. I wouldn't want this game to be the same with Mk11, where some character's frame data never changed for the better (even when needed).
As a D'Vorah main, the troubled balance history of MK11 left a lot to be desired. However, a soft approach is still considerably more preferred to an entire game-wide meta shift to me. People can love on MKX all they like, but the game being ENTIRELY different every single fucking patch was beyond disgraceful imo. Embarrassingly unacceptable even. Reminded me heavily of Riot with League of Legends where they straight up said they weren't attempting to balance the game and were instead dumpstering meta characters and skyrocketing non-meta characters every major balance patch just for the excitement of it. Stupid as fuck imo.

Here's to hoping more lower end characters get new moves like Quan Chi did. Would spice things up wonderfully.

People can love on MKX all they like, but the game being ENTIRELY different every single fucking patch was beyond disgraceful imo.
I remember people freaking out and constantly complaining about that. People wanted slower patching and more time for things to settle and for meta to be truly figured out. People also kept crapping on Mortal Kombat X for being a 50/50 pressure-fest.

Then we got Mortal Kombat 11, a game that was more neutral focused and had a reserved patching process. Suddenly Mortal Kombat XL was a great game and everyone was dumping on Mortal Kombat 11.

No one will every be happy no matter what they do.