What's new

MK1 Invasions Mode: (It Sucks)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Agree with everything… my biggest annoyance is that secret fights are no different than ambushes… secret fights should be difficult with a cool reward… I mean are these even triggered for doing something “secret”? Or is it just like bullshit random ambushes? Cuz I’ve had at least 10 secret fights over 3 maps.

As a funny update: I just played through shang tsungs laboratory and had a total of 17 secret fights. I can safely say that the excitement of finding a secret fight has come and gone and I never want to see one again
This exactly, no rewards for secret fights so what's the freaking point dude? At least give us skins or shaders like hot damn. Just a big ole waste of time.

Last edited:
on PC, you can literally map a button for the talisman when using a keyboard... why this isn't there for controllers is beyond me.
You can activate the talisman on a Xbox or PS controller. It's by pressing the right thumb stick. Only controllers that doesn't have a right stick can't activate the talisman.

As for the mapping, that's right. There are almost non console game where you can manually map your controls. Only some presets.

I've think that MK1 is only developed with Xbox and PS controller in mind.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I actually think Invasions Mode has made me worse at the game because I'm so used to getting interrupted or bouncing off of armor that when I actually get an opportunity to do a full combo I'm so surprised that I end up forgetting what to do and dropping it.
I have to agree. I did all of invasions and it gave me bad habits that I haven't broken yet in ranked.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
You can activate the talisman on a Xbox or PS controller. It's by pressing the right thumb stick. Only controllers that doesn't have a right stick can't activate the talisman.

As for the mapping, that's right. There are almost non console game where you can manually map your controls. Only some presets.

I've think that MK1 is only developed with Xbox and PS controller in mind.
Right, but you have to understand the absurdity of this for a moment...

its available for Keyboard... but you can't map controller buttons.

I personally don't use a throw button, as button shortcuts allow me to do this. Sooo I would definitely make use of that button.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
If you have an RS button on your stick, usually by the pause button area, you can use talismans. Most sticks have it
hmm, I have a MadCatz TE but I don't recall seeing anything like that. Whatever the select button is called is what's near my start/pause button.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Right, but you have to understand the absurdity of this for a moment...

its available for Keyboard... but you can't map controller buttons.

I personally don't use a throw button, as button shortcuts allow me to do this. Sooo I would definitely make use of that button.
I have never used a throw button either. I always just push 1+3. I do the same in Tekken games. I can't believe there's no option to make that button do something else. It sucks.

TRi4L N 3ЯЯ0R

The world doesn't adjust to you.
Once you get the legendary high-level talismans you become a God. I saw a video where someone has some kind of Bo Rai Cho fart Talisman (legendary). He farts and the opponent literally exploded.

I have this level 30 Talisman, it destroys the enemy. It's called Windbreaker and yes, you character turns and leans a little and releases a deadly stench that is literally deadly. This is the only Talisman I used when going through the netherstone locked gates and it made the battles SO MUCH FASTER.21033

Last edited:

thesacrifist

Too old for this
I have this level 30 Talisman, it destroys the enemy. It's called Windbreaker and yes, you character turns and leans a little and releases a deadly stench that is literally deadly. This is the only Talisman I used when going through the netherstone locked gates and it made the battles SO MUCH FASTER.View attachment 21033
Ugh.. any point in doing the netherstone gates? If not I’ll just wait until they hopefully fix it post-launch. There is a decent gamemode hidden in there behind the modifiers and repetetive with undewhelming rewards with no challenge due to the absurd «RPG elements» fights but it does need more tweaks than just numbers it needs a whole development pass. Maybe for the second or third season it’s in a better state.

Art Lean

Noob
I have this level 30 Talisman, it destroys the enemy. It's called Windbreaker and yes, you character turns and leans a little and releases a deadly stench that is literally deadly. This is the only Talisman I used when going through the netherstone locked gates and it made the battles SO MUCH FASTER.View attachment 21033
Whoops... I discarded it. I've only been keeping the armor ones. :oops:

Because when you can only carry a ridiculously small amount of these things and you're winning at least one after every single fight, and there's secret fights between the fights, with more amulets from those, and ambushes after so many of those, and more amulets from those, and you're faced with that damn 'discard a talisman' screen constantly, I was literally burnt out on checking what each ever did. :(

Is there a particular fight it can be recollected from or are they just random rewards?

This is PS2's DBZ Budokai 2 story mode all over again.
Yes! Exactly what I was thinking! I've seen a few of the FGC YT regulars dunk on that game and its bad boardgame story mode and if they don't do the same for this garbage Invasion mode I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Also saw you mention the Fart Talisman. Ran the Seasonal tower. What an absolute slog. Then got the Fart Talisman on a random 30 drop. Proceeded to try it out before going to run the Seasonal tower again. Lo & Behold, Reiko + Taco Bell trivialized the entire tower. What an absolute joke.

Art Lean

Noob
Ugh.. any point in doing the netherstone gates? If not I’ll just wait until they hopefully fix it post-launch. There is a decent gamemode hidden in there behind the modifiers and repetetive with undewhelming rewards with no challenge due to the absurd «RPG elements» fights but it does need more tweaks than just numbers it needs a whole development pass. Maybe for the second or third season it’s in a better state.
There's a few more boss palettes and at least one treasure chest with a skin it within pretty much all of them. I cleared them all last night and got a few more of the current season's tattooed boss skins for certain.

I just beat it this morning. God awful grind the entire way through. Its baffling how somebody at NRS can sit down and think that every enemy in the entire mode should have hyper armor, invincible hyper armor. I can't see how anyone found that fun.

I just wanna rant about random shit I guess:

They lead you on early, having you think there's gonna be fun little commentary around each map. There isn't. Liu Kang only shows up on the map's final boss to say some shit like "Scorpion brought in Johnny Cage to stop you!"

The inventory space. By like the 2nd map, you're gonna be maxed out on Talismans, and the game just keeps on giving them to you every other fight. I'm constantly having to go into my inventory and toss them out because no, Reiko, I would not like another level 1 Ice Armor talisman.

They tricked us early on with the footage of Invasions and the Survival missions (where you dodge the fireballs). It looked like it was going to be a callback to MK9 where they had the weird minigames sprinkled throughout the Challenge Tower. No. That is the one, and the only one minigame throughout Invasions. And it does not change. You jump over low projectiles, you crouch under high ones. The patterns never change, the timing never changes.

There is no map. This honestly might be one of the most annoying parts of it. There are little lights on each space that show you if there are uncleared missions in that direction, but beyond that nothing at all. If you missed a chest because you didn't have a key and you're trying to find it again. Good luck, because these areas are mazes. You move slow, and can also be ambushed just adding more to the time sink.

The enemy reuse. Every map in Invasions has a set cast of characters you're going to fight, for the entire time. They aren't random, its always the same. So like in say Sun Do you're gonna be fighting Havik, Reiko, Sub Zero and a handful of others. Over and over, pay attention to how many times you see "Chaosmaker" Havik, because I swear to god I feel like I fought him 20 times in one of the maps.

Talismans are nearly useless, and need to be "recharged".

There are about a 10th of the amount of modifiers MK11 had on launch. The vast majority of them are "Orb comes out of portal" or "toxic cloud"

The XP, oh my god the XP. I used Shang Tsung and Sektor for almost the entire run. 243 fights, about 100 brutalities, around 70 fatalities. And somehow my Sektor is at level 10. They also flat out stop giving you anything at all for Profile Levelups after a while. No currency, nothing. Saving them instead for the larger milestones.

Idk what else, this mode sucks and I hope they drastically reduce the grind for the next season.
I am not trying to say your opinion is wrong. You can totally not like the Invasion Mode, and I would get that. But some of your information is just wrong, and I would like to correct it.

Not every enemy or battle has hyper armor lol. Also, this makes fights more strategic instead of allowing someone just to run up and uppercut every fight to death. I actually am paying more attention to doing as many dailies as I can during fights, since dailies are unlimited and always gives you a new one to do after you finish one.

The early part is a tutorial for the entire mode. The fact that it's voiced at all is awesome. There is no lead on that there is a story besides the opening cutscene. I would have been surprised if there was much of one given the fact this is seasonal content.

You can sell Talisman's for invasion money. With that money, you can buy various items to help you during invasion as well as items to improve your Talisman's. I'm not sure why you were throwing them away instead of selling some. Also, even if you do get a duplicate, that is okay. I want a duplicate of my main Talisman I use in fights because I want to add different stats to it with the forge.

The Survival missions with the projectiles DO change. As well as new ones, well instead of just having balls on the screen, I got one that was shooting Kitana's Fans across the entire screen. Also, there are different elemental ones. Meaning if you are having trouble surviving one, you might want to equip a character or talisman that works well against that element to make it easier.

There doesn't really need to map, and there is no way you should get lost, even when coming back to do something later. For one, if there is something to do, follow the arrow with the green line. If a line is blue, you've done everything that way. If you need to hit the store or forge, you can pause and teleport to the last visited one on the map. If your on a new map, you can go to the Mesa and pick a map you've done before to go to a shop or forge if you need to. Also, you can totally avoid being ambushed with one of the items you can either win or buy from the store. It prevents you from getting ambushed for 20 squares. (so 20 spaces of free movement.) Be aware however, you can also randomly get teleported to what looks like the Netherrealm. In any case, when that happens, you get to open 3 random chests and these typically have some really good items like gear and skins and palletes.

Talismans will recharge on their own. You do not have to pay every time you want to recharge a talisman. Paying to recharge can be a benefit if you need some more charges for a fight before it has naturally charged back up. I am unaware of what exactly helps it recharge, besides time. I think doing certain things during the fight charges it faster. In any case, Talisman's can basically beat fights for you if you are forging them and paying attention to the elemental chart and the elemental defense of your opponents. Some can give you Super Armor, take away an opponents special meter, fill your special meter, etc.

Pretty sure the modifier's are determined by the seasonal theme and locations we go. I am not fully sure, but say next Invasion season we get Sub-Zero as the big boss. Then I would think we would see some totally new modifier's in both the invasions and invasion towers. Also remember that some of those modifiers in MK11 was totally patched out or changed because of how unfair they were.

Yes the exp for Kameo's is very low, or maybe I am just not using mine enough. However I did find that using the Kameo's Fatality and Brutality gives more exp to you and your main. I would awesome actual use during the match using Kameo's with combos would also give more exp. I am not a really "amazing" combo guy so I might be missing out on some exp for Kameo's as I haven't started to mix them with my mains combos. Also remember Kameo's do not have but 15 levels, instead of 30 like normal character's. So you are five levels away. Yes it's a grind, but every MK game has had grinds to get stuff. Not that that is an excuse, just I am not surprised. I agree they could increase the exp a little bit more for Kameo's.

Anyway, if you didn't like invasion, I get that, and it's cool. I find it quite fun.

Art Lean

Noob
So I've finished the storymode and 100% completed the Invasions for this season. Playing through again once you've blue-lined all the routes gets you next to no rewards, I've maxed out my Invasion XP, I have 85,000 krowns for the Kollector's shop (to purchase 100-krown valued things that barely make a difference to the gameplay, even more-so now that I've completed it), bought nearly every season skin and piece of gear in the Seasonal Kredits store (even though I hate most of them because I don't like yellow haha), the rotating towers of time on the middle island give you nothing, and I don't like playing online so won't be playing KL anytime soon (especially when the rewards aren't even as special as they were in MK11).

Soooo... what do I do for the next 45 days then beyond just leveling up characters? :eek:

So I've finished the storymode and 100% completed the Invasions for this season. Playing through again once you've blue-lined all the routes gets you next to no rewards, I've maxed out my Invasion XP, I have 85,000 krowns for the Kollector's shop (to purchase 100-krown valued things that barely make a difference to the gameplay, even more-so now that I've completed it), bought nearly every season skin and piece of gear in the Seasonal Kredits store (even though I hate most of them because I don't like yellow haha), the rotating towers of time on the middle island give you nothing, and I don't like playing online so won't be playing KL anytime soon (especially when the rewards aren't even as special as they were in MK11).

Soooo... what do I do for the next 45 days then beyond just leveling up characters? :eek:
I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't unlocked all seasonal skins yet, but I can if I want. I also have like 50k silver koins left.

I also don't know what's more to unlock. For example, I have now 2 skins unlocked for Mileena. Are there any more? Or just different colors? Maybe I'm grinding for something that doesn't exist.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Another bullshit part of Invasions:
Was in the mesa called “Gateway”, which is essentially all Living Towers. Did the huge 18-floor SEASONAL tower. There is a text box that pops up before you begin saying that this tower contains “End Game Content”!
Here I am, thinking that some of those cool skins that were in the final chapters of Story would be here, hence “end game”.
You know what I got after 18 fucking floors?
More talismans & crown currency.
Fuck you, Derek.

Art Lean

Noob
Another bullshit part of Invasions:
Was in the mesa called “Gateway”, which is essentially all Living Towers. Did the huge 18-floor SEASONAL tower. There is a text box that pops up before you begin saying that this tower contains “End Game Content”!
Here I am, thinking that some of those cool skins that were in the final chapters of Story would be here, hence “end game”.
You know what I got after 18 fucking floors?
More talismans & crown currency.
Fuck you, Derek.
Glad I abandoned it. But how on earth did you get past the saw blades in the white fog? I couldn't even see a thing and died 9 seconds from the end.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Glad I abandoned it. But how on earth did you get past the saw blades in the white fog? I couldn't even see a thing and died 9 seconds from the end.
I went to the left corner, and crouch blocked. It brought me down to about 3% life, but I survived.