What's new

MK1 Gameplay World Premier - June 8TH [Summer Game Fest]

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I think they had some right ideas. I love the krypt, and I really liked the exploring aspect, but being random is bad. Nothing they can't fix for this game.
Story mode could use some improvements too, but I think it's a staple at this point. I do agree that the towers need a lot of work if they're coming back.
I'm still hopeful for a konquest mode, but I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect it. At this point we should just get spinoffs made by other studios, like some other franchises do. I would love that.
I don't think a konquest mode itself is unrealistic, but I do think a konquest mode PLUS a story mode is. If I'm being optimistic, I would say that the Krypt in the NRS era has slowly been evolving into a konquest mode with each new iteration, so if they keep evolving, this next iteration should include some actual gameplay and be pretty close to the konquest mode that people want back.

If NRS really wanted to push the envelope, they should add story mode-level cutscenes to an "open world" konquest mode and combine the best of both.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
From Boon's MK4 tweet pic I think it's safe to assume that Reptile and Reiko will end up in the base roster.
As for the forgotten ones... Kai & Jarek Kameos Konfirmed?
Out of the characters in the MK4 roster that aren’t confirmed I think Reptile, Reiko, Sonya and Jax all probably make the cut. I really want Tanya and Fujin but I feel like they’ll be kameo material.

I can 100% see Jarek being a kameo whos assist is a running command grab, and if he misses he falls of a cliff and does that goofy ass yell

the mk4 tweet was a clear Sonya hint, mother is enroute!

I don't think a konquest mode itself is unrealistic, but I do think a konquest mode PLUS a story mode is. If I'm being optimistic, I would say that the Krypt in the NRS era has slowly been evolving into a konquest mode with each new iteration, so if they keep evolving, this next iteration should include some actual gameplay and be pretty close to the konquest mode that people want back.

If NRS really wanted to push the envelope, they should add story mode-level cutscenes to an "open world" konquest mode and combine the best of both.
From my perspective I see it as SF5 launched in 2016 and Mk11 in 2019, so even if both sequels were being worked on from the launch Street fighter had a big lead. 2019-23 is not that long for game development. So I'm not going to expect anything too huge, but I'm excited to see what Ed means by the extra dev time shows.

Whippoorwill

In my hater era
You need to show and tell a lot of information after such words

Also, I think this reply is confirmation of the reveal of another character at the event. It makes no sense to make hints with already announced characters. Reptile?
There's 5 confirmed people there...so could be trolling. But why show the MK4 roster if you don't mean specifically an Mk 4 character...

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
There's 5 confirmed people there...so could be trolling. But why show the MK4 roster if you don't mean specifically an Mk 4 character...
This is a nice observation, honestly.
Makes me think Boon is hinting at Kai and Jarek as they were first playable in MK4

(...right?)

Kokoko

Somehow
Okay, this is very interesting. Some content creators have been invited to SGF. Like Ketchup and Mustard, they fly to LA tomorrow.

My prediction. NRS will bring the game with them for journalists and give content creators the opportunity to play. And they'll be able to record some videos. On the negative side, we'll get a lot of whining about content creators getting access to the game earlier. On the other hand, we'll get a lot of videos explaining the mechanics of the game, we'll see more or less interesting gameplay with combos and we'll get breakdowns of each character.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
For me, I just hope the content is of high quality instead of just high quantity. Thinking back to MK11, it had:
Story Mode - which was as expected
Arcade - also as expected
Towers - pretty despised for being tedious, random, and imbalanced
Krypt - heavily criticized for being randomized
Towers fucking rulled in Mk11.. what are you smoking!

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I don't think Boon is completely above trolling us in this specific way (showing MK4 roster screenshot just to reveal Reptile, for example).
But I think it's more likely that a MK4 introduced character will be revealed. I'd love it to be Tanya, but people have been asking for Reiko for a while now, and I'd be surprised if he's not in this game.

For everyone in MK4 that isn't Reiko/Tanya/Fujin... I'd really prefer them to revamp characters from other forgotten rosters instead, but you never know.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I remember Towers and Krypt being pretty heavily criticized at the start, but then NRS dialed it back a bit and the community figured out optimal ways to farm/complete stuff, so it wasn't so bad as the game's life went on.

I feel like with almost any fighting game people overreact to things at the start of the game, whether it's game modes, character balance, whatever, and then a month or two in people realize their initial reaction was overblown. Or the game gets patched.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
The fact they're treating this as the main attraction of whats now one of the biggest gaming shows each year is super promising. Like the new season of Fortnite is getting a reveal here, yet MK is taking priority even over that

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I remember Towers and Krypt being pretty heavily criticized at the start, but then NRS dialed it back a bit and the community figured out optimal ways to farm/complete stuff, so it wasn't so bad as the game's life went on.
Hopefully the towers are not busted ass op shit from the jump this time lol.
Also if they try and pull the 50 fatalities on each character for their head on a pike in the krypt there needs to be another exploit to bypass that ridiculous grind

I love all the good leading up to this but every time Geoff ends up doing this super hype shit I end up disappointed. I am cautiously optimistic but also slightly worried because Keighley is a fucking tool most of the time

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Also if they try and pull the 50 fatalities on each character for their head on a pike in the krypt there needs to be another exploit to bypass that ridiculous grind
That was a grind. But it wasn't bad using an AI battle bot to farm it, and you go kind of pick certain towers, put them on easy, and keep grinding the same characters if you gamed the system right.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Putting base features like fatalities and brutalities behind achievements was an error, imo.... I think all the skins and stuff though was actually proved to be very balanced. I mean look at your resource counts now. People complaining about grind and all that shit.. it just makes no sense.. you jts play the game and unlock stuff as you go.. and if you look at the game now, most people have 100s and 1000s of resources not being used... all that grinding was just pointless.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I was skeptical at first but now I kinda dig the whole assist thing

Definitely sounds like we might see another character reveal. Maybe it just ends being Johnny Cage, but whatever. I could honestly see any of the MK4 characters returning to the main roster, with the exception of Shinnok (had lots of screen time in MKX) and Jarek (because let's face it, he is just a watered down Kano clone).
Way I see it, Reiko/Tanya/maaaaybe Kai confirmation.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
If they regulate Sonya or Sindel to a kameo I’m going turn to a life of hard drugs
Sonya is a staple, if shes in (and she should be) she'll be a main character.

I think Sindel is more than likely a kameo unfortunately. I honestly think Boons twitter space he did a while back was hinting at kameo characters, not main chaeacters. So Rain, Sindel, Stryker/Kabal etc