What's new

MK1 December 14th 2023 Update Patch Notes

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
Sub Zero Divekick is Mid and UpBlockable.
I didnt know it and also wasnt trying it. really thought its a overhead rule. lol i guess
Good to know ranged divekick is safe and you can read it, so knowing it makes a huge difference. Do we really have to check them all out and find them NRS ...

Every single move that reacts to UP-block, should have a note or at least all mids.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I wouldn't want to be an NRS employee right now.

Game's basically still in beta (I mean, they are literally adding moves as they go) and not only do they now have to actually finish the game, they now have to treat it like a finished product and do feedback/bug testing as well. And on top of that, make a new story mode next year.

Something tells me that 60fps intros/outros/fatalities/fatal blows are going to take a LOT longer to come to PC this time around.

Ashesfall

Something tells me that 60fps intros/outros/fatalities/fatal blows are going to take a LOT longer to come to PC this time around.
What? I kinda quit with pc gaming. In MK11 it also was 30fps and it was crazy shitty, some moder fixed it. (Bless this guy) After a while they (QLOC) fixed it and you didnt need a fan-patch every update(!).
Now you tell me, MK1 on PC still has a 30fps lock in cutscenes? Also the entire story mode?

Ranked on ps5 is also so much more fun because bigger poll of not so strong players like me. :D
At least PC is getting crossplay, i guess ...

But i agree, this game feels really not polished. I found so many errors in the command list, still to this day even tho every patch they fix stuff there. Winterfatal has the command hold R2,dd but its actually R2,ff and brutals have the wrong button displayed. I really wonder how you can have there so many errors with any QA ... fire and forget implementation ...

Every DLC even main MK roster only gets 1 outfit rest 8-10$DLC or will we get only 1 the entire lifespan of the game? oh boy ... man the direction is clear to see but I just dont want to see it, such a great franchise ...
---
Advertisement:
Buy now Omni-Man booster pack and level till 35, new outfits and brutalities you love so much.
*only 800krystals
Me: Fuck, i need it ...

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
What? I kinda quit with pc gaming. In MK11 it also was 30fps and it was crazy shitty, some moder fixed it. (Bless this guy) After a while they (QLOC) fixed it and you didnt need a fan-patch every update(!).
Now you tell me, MK1 on PC still has a 30fps lock in cutscenes? Also the entire story mode?

Ranked on ps5 is also so much more fun because bigger poll of not so strong players like me. :D
At least PC is getting crossplay, i guess ...

But i agree, this game feels really not polished. I found so many errors in the command list, still to this day even tho every patch they fix stuff there. Winterfatal has the command hold R2,dd but its actually R2,ff and brutals have the wrong button displayed. I really wonder how you can have there so many errors with any QA ... fire and forget implementation ...

Every DLC even main MK roster only gets 1 outfit rest 8-10$DLC or will we get only 1 the entire lifespan of the game? oh boy ... man the direction is clear to see but I just dont want to see it, such a great franchise ...
---
Advertisement:
Buy now Omni-Man booster pack and level till 35, new outfits and brutalities you love so much.
*only 800krystals
Me: Fuck, i need it ...
So even though there is a 60 fps mod, it cannot make intros/outros/fatalities/fatal blows go smoother than 30fps.

darklightjg1

Lost Street Fighter Player
I'm really not a fan of the health balancing... at least on the Kameos (I'm not of fan of it in any game tbh). I play Nitara and pretty much every Kameo I prefer/find interesting as a pairing has the -50 health deficit, putting my 850 up against sometimes 1100 or 1200 team kombinations (that's a full bnb that I have to hope they don't have a breaker for). Getting a bunch of meter while getting hit also gives them more breaker opportunities in the match. Would be nice if in exchange for all that health, they didn't also build so much meter that way.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm really not a fan of the health balancing... at least on the Kameos (I'm not of fan of it in any game tbh). I play Nitara and pretty much every Kameo I prefer/find interesting as a pairing has the -50 health deficit, putting my 850 up against sometimes 1100 or 1200 team kombinations (that's a full bnb that I have to hope they don't have a breaker for). Getting a bunch of meter while getting hit also gives them more breaker opportunities in the match. Would be nice if in exchange for all that health, they didn't also build so much meter that way.
I don’t have an issue with using health as one of the ways to help augment balance. But if they’re using it as the only method of balance, I’m not necessarily a big fan of that. My issues with the health values is that some of them just don’t make sense to me. Like Geras should have the least amount of health in the game, yet he only has 50 less than the default 700. The main reason being because he has very easy access to replenish his health multiple times a round which effectively means he, more often than not, will have the most health in the game. AND you also factor in that he’s a very good character on top of that, so those reasons combined should put him at the least amount of HP. Then we look at Quan Chi and Nitara, both in which have the lowest base HP in the game at 600 each. I understand the reasoning for Nitara is similar to the main reason Geras’ health is lowered. But, she doesn’t have the added benefit of being a super strong (top tier) character. That said, I don’t really know much about Nitara. I’ve only ever used her in her combo Trials and the only ones I’ve played against were horrible, and hardly any competitive player uses her. With Quan Chi, him having 600 HP also doesn’t make much sense. A lot of balancing decisions made about Quantum Chimichanga don’t make a whole lot of sense honestly. But, I know he just released, so maybe we just haven’t discovered why these decisions were made yet.

Anyway, some of the Kameo health values also don’t make a lot of sense to me. Maybe these were explained by NRS at some point and I just have missed that. But if not, it’d be nice if we at least got an explanation as to “why” some of the HP values are different and/or change. I mean, it’d be nice if after every balance patch they had a Kombat Kast with 16bit and Paulo where they’d explain the reasoning behind most of their decisions. This would help tremendously imo, but I doubt we’ll ever see something like that. Would be awesome though.

rifraf

Noob
I don’t have an issue with using health as one of the ways to help augment balance. But if they’re using it as the only method of balance, I’m not necessarily a big fan of that. My issues with the health values is that some of them just don’t make sense to me. Like Geras should have the least amount of health in the game, yet he only has 50 less than the default 700. The main reason being because he has very easy access to replenish his health multiple times a round which effectively means he, more often than not, will have the most health in the game. AND you also factor in that he’s a very good character on top of that, so those reasons combined should put him at the least amount of HP. Then we look at Quan Chi and Nitara, both in which have the lowest base HP in the game at 600 each. I understand the reasoning for Nitara is similar to the main reason Geras’ health is lowered. But, she doesn’t have the added benefit of being a super strong (top tier) character. That said, I don’t really know much about Nitara. I’ve only ever used her in her combo Trials and the only ones I’ve played against were horrible, and hardly any competitive player uses her. With Quan Chi, him having 600 HP also doesn’t make much sense. A lot of balancing decisions made about Quantum Chimichanga don’t make a whole lot of sense honestly. But, I know he just released, so maybe we just haven’t discovered why these decisions were made yet.

Anyway, some of the Kameo health values also don’t make a lot of sense to me. Maybe these were explained by NRS at some point and I just have missed that. But if not, it’d be nice if we at least got an explanation as to “why” some of the HP values are different and/or change. I mean, it’d be nice if after every balance patch they had a Kombat Kast with 16bit and Paulo where they’d explain the reasoning behind most of their decisions. This would help tremendously imo, but I doubt we’ll ever see something like that. Would be awesome though.
So many good points here. I've been saying it from the very beginning, Geras will be getting "better" as more players getting more familiar with him since he's a complicated character. He's an insane character that I could see being fair even at 900hp. Nitara is also an insane character; she has MK9 Kabal lvl of mobility and high damage but she's also complicated and requires high execution. Idk if she deserves the 900hp but she's crazy on paper, and maybe as the game matures she'll rise up.

Overall, I'm a big fan of the health system. JC being at 950hp now is not a game changer but he feels more fair, and it's trickier picking a kameo for him since there are consequences. I think they're still tweaking the numbers but overall the system works imo. I would personally give Scorpion, SZ and Reptile +100hp if they're against retooling them.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
So many good points here. I've been saying it from the very beginning, Geras will be getting "better" as more players getting more familiar with him since he's a complicated character. He's an insane character that I could see being fair even at 900hp. Nitara is also an insane character; she has MK9 Kabal lvl of mobility and high damage but she's also complicated and requires high execution. Idk if she deserves the 900hp but she's crazy on paper, and maybe as the game matures she'll rise up.

Overall, I'm a big fan of the health system. JC being at 950hp now is not a game changer but he feels more fair, and it's trickier picking a kameo for him since there are consequences. I think they're still tweaking the numbers but overall the system works imo. I would personally give Scorpion, SZ and Reptile +100hp if they're against retooling them.
Yeah Geras is kinda like C.Viper in Vanilla SF4. Everyone thought she was low tier or at best mid tier, but it was due to not much representation and her requiring more execution and her having a bit more depth to her. Then she shot up to I think like either the best or top 3 in the tier list without her even getting any buffs. Now, no one has said Geras is low tier but I definitely agree that he has been creeping up the ranks since release.

Oh and I’m sure you know this but in case you don’t (which not everyone does, I didn’t even find out until recently), the default HP for the main characters is 700 HP while the default for Kameos is +300 HP. Here’s an updated HP Value chart

As a Nitara main, her health thing doesnt make much sense to me. On paper, sure, she can regain health, but it requires two very punishable moves to be done within a small time window (Edit: For the quick bite, or spend a meter for the passive) and its not something you can just pull off mid combo except with specific setups using Scorpion or Frost/Sub, which outside of Sub leaves you pretty vulnerable to zoners. You have to play intending to setup the regen stuff, which actually reduces you optimals so I havent found it to be a better strategy, just different. On launch there was the argument that she does so much damage, but I have had Omni Man or Lei Mea do massive meterless damage with kameos, without the health hit. Meanwhile, she plays very meter dependant, which means breakers are a more rare oppertunity, meaning any hit can be half her life, and against someone like Havok with a full combo health lead from the jump, thats a huge deal. Quan being low health at this point is everyones guess. Everyone is saying that some huge dirt is waiting to be discovered, but everyones been digging and it hasnt come up yet. Maybe theres a Kameo in the wait that has some insane compliments.

Last edited:

LEGEND

YES!
i'm pretty happy with the patch, and the apparent reason behind each of the changes. Characters are largely left alone, as their kits are pretty much fully realized. With Kameos being almost individually tuned to line up with certain characters.

I also like that Nitara wasn't touched at all. It's a much better idea to leave a few characters out in the cold than buff some perceived low tier that no one plays and accidently create a monster.

I also like that Nitara wasn't touched at all. It's a much better idea to leave a few characters out in the cold than buff some perceived low tier that no one plays and accidently create a monster.
I dont disagree really, if anything I just wish her wakeup was a mid, it doesnt combo unless you have Motaro or Kung Lao, and then it heavily scales down the follow up.

LEGEND

YES!
I dont disagree really, if anything I just wish her wakeup was a mid, it doesnt combo unless you have Motaro or Kung Lao, and then it heavily scales down the follow up.
I'd be cautious to do that. The idea of a highly mobile character that gets punished for taking a hit gels with having a bad wakeup. And since Kameos are a thing, if it was a mid she could essentially always have a way off the ground.

Her weaknesses all make sense, she just needs better offense. . . maybe

Mongrel

Noob
Hey everyone. New here. Is anybody else playing on Xbox S? I feel like the online is super unstable after the recent patch. It's really annoying the amount of matches that get disconnected and added as a loss.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hey everyone. New here. Is anybody else playing on Xbox S? I feel like the online is super unstable after the recent patch. It's really annoying the amount of matches that get disconnected and added as a loss.
Yeah, it's happening on every platform. Some change they made had knock-on effects that broke something related to connections. That's basically what I was talking about here:
Just the basic understanding that even a 'small' change can have knock-on effects, and that for a design team to figure out how to go about it (or test a couple different ways, for example declining vs. a complete filter where you never see matches), and then for others to test and make adjustments to account for unintended consequences, and then certify a patch, can take a few weeks.

People will complain if changes are rushed and it ruins something else. Take the time to get it right.

Ashesfall

... sure it's called live service game, bugs can and will happen but on a good service game, hotfix is used well. If we have to wait in the worst case till the next patch with peacemaker (feb), it's bad and nothing can defend it.
Short: Mistakes happen, how fast and good will you handle it?

I am happy intros are back, shouldn't be gone in the first place. MK11 intro/outro system is superior tho

Is it just me or the new filtering option is a little dumb? Basically each player must OK a match even if they're both <100ms & ethernet?

Surely the smart option was if you're matched with a wifi connection, or if the ping was >150ms like it was already, you get the option to decline?
In addition to this, they need to have a sound play when a player is found. You get the cymbal crash (or whatever it is) when it shows who the opponent is, but not when a connection is found. There's been plenty of times that due to the somewhat long-ish wait times, i'm not staring at the screen constantly looking at that oh-so pretty picture and don't realise i've been matched so it gets cancelled.

Between those two things I swear i have no idea where some people get their coding credentials from.

if P1 = ethernet & p2 = ethernet & ping <150 then goto startmatch, else wait for input. It's really not that hard.

And the worst part is they basically have that code written from before the patch where if P1 & P2 ping <150 then startmatch. They just needed to add the parameter to check for ethernet and it's done.

To me these are QOL features 101, shit like that should never get to a release state.

Idk if I like that
Because of ping <150ms? Well that's what it always used to be. Even if it was 100, just something to stop the game waiting for input when there's no need to. Hell they could even have a custom option, set a number in settings and anything under that gets automatically accepted.

This wouldn't be that much of an annoyance if you had 1/ a sound to notify you a match was found, or 2/ something to keep you "in the game". As i said above, when you're waiting and there's nothing happening on screen you've got no reason to constantly stare at pretty trees.

The ability to go into practice mode, play around with the kombat card, use the shrine, make changes to skins... so many things you could do - except that you can't.

I don't understand why the game has been programmed in such a compartmentalised way that "online" can't be happening in the background while the player has other things to do.

rifraf

Noob
Because of ping <150ms? Well that's what it always used to be. Even if it was 100, just something to stop the game waiting for input when there's no need to. Hell they could even have a custom option, set a number in settings and anything under that gets automatically accepted.

This wouldn't be that much of an annoyance if you had 1/ a sound to notify you a match was found, or 2/ something to keep you "in the game". As i said above, when you're waiting and there's nothing happening on screen you've got no reason to constantly stare at pretty trees.

The ability to go into practice mode, play around with the kombat card, use the shrine, make changes to skins... so many things you could do - except that you can't.

I don't understand why the game has been programmed in such a compartmentalised way that "online" can't be happening in the background while the player has other things to do.
Oh yeah. I'm not suggesting what we have right now is perfect or ideal either. I would prefer an actual filter where I can filter out the connections I don't want to be matched with. Let's say, flip a toggle if you don't want to be matched against wifi players and another toggle for max ping. For me, 100ms is max latency I'm comfortable playing but I know other players have different preferences so it would be preferable if NRS didn't lock us under a global ping.