What's new

Mirror Matches in MKX

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Since I started to play Skarlet I dont remember when I had a mirror and when I had it, it couldnt be easier. Variations will take off that mental pressure of the chest i believe. I just hope there wont be many "week" variations.

I agree with you completely OP. In this case mirror matches will determine just how distinct and versatile one variation is against another. One thing for sure is tier list makers are going to need skywriter planes to with the size the mkx tier list is going to be.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I've always felt mirror matches were a good test about the knowledge you have for your character. If your opponent has constructed a playstyle with your character that you never initially thought of, you can only walk away with a benefit for your future matches.

But obviously this is not a debate of how mirrors can be good or bad, so let me not stray off-topic. As you say, MKX's variation system will introduce infinite possibilities with the mirrors. I am already imagining what it will be like when I fight Raiden's Thunder God variation with the Displacer variation.

@B W1zZ - you'll be the first player I go to for a test run of this match-up. ;)

Killusion

Stream addict
I for one really enjoy mirror matches. When both players have the exact same tools it really comes down to outsmarting your opponent. They can be really fun too!
Variations countering other variations seem really natural to me on paper, in example a zoning Kano should do good against a grappling Kano.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
i hope they give characters more noticeable color variations for mirror matches. its often hard to tell whose who in NRS games.
In most cases, there is a clear difference between the character skins when playing different variations. Just look at Kano, for example. His chest and eye glow red, yellow and green depending on what variation you use. I think it will be much easier to differentiate them this time around.

Having said that, we still haven't seen what it looks like when both players choose say.....Commando variation.

In most cases, there is a clear difference between the character skins when playing different variations. Just look at Kano, for example. His chest and eye glow red, yellow and green depending on what variation you use. I think it will be much easier to differentiate them this time around.

Having said that, we still haven't seen what it looks like when both players choose say.....Commando variation.
I hope they have colorblind support. Red and green look pretty damn similar for me.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
There will hardly be any even mus except kitana a vs kitana a, and good bulk of these variations will have limited situational to no comp. use. Balancing 72 different characters with useful moves is too unrealistic to except. There will be some lackluster ones.
I don't think there will be any lackluster ones, I do think there will be a few that are incredibly situational.

Ermac's Spectral variation is already looking to be one of those, where if you're mostly grounded opponent you'll probably be able to dominate them easily, but if you're fighting someone like Cybernetic Kano who has full screen anti-air lasers you'll probably shit out of luck for most of the fight.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I am already imagining what it will be like when I fight Raiden's Thunder God variation with the Displacer variation.
But is that a mirror? ;)

You don't really need to see the colors, the variation names are next the the character names on the HUD.
Point being, it's hard to tell who (p1/p2) plays who (what character) in a mirror. Variations are easier to tell apart (if you consider that a mirror at all), but it still doesn't help if you play real mirror. NRS has bad history of making hard to differe between P1 and P2 unless you pick different costumes.
I mean, have fun playing Zatanna mirror.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I honestly don't even think it would be considered a mirror match when playing against a different variation of the same character. Human Smoke vs Scorpion in UMK3 wasn't considered a mirror, and their moves were way more similar than any of the variations on any given character are in MKX.

This game is going to be absolutely insane once it comes out. I don't even know how match-up charts will be possible.

cyke_out

Noob
NRS needs to make sure that only one player may use a costume at a time. Whoever picks the fastest locks that outfit in. As long as there are a wide selection for all characters, even DLC, it should be fine.