What's new

Mirror Matches in MKX

I have to tell you, in every FG I've ever played, I've always hated mirror matches. It didn't matter if the skill level was good on good, bad on good, bad on bad, whatever... the thought of a mirror match was always unacceptable and annoying.

That said, MKX and the 3 character variations may take a bit of the sting out of things in several ways. The obvious way is going up against your character that's using one of the other 2 styles besides the one you're using. That makes it as if you're going up against a different character completely. That could make mirrors something to behold as the game goes on. We could find out during those trials, which variation could be the primary variation for that character.

Just some food for thought that I wasn't sure was discussed. Thoughts?

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Variations allow your character to have favorable match ups against itself. It's somewhat of an odd concept, but it's essentially the same as two different character matchups. It might create an awkward situation where all three variations of one character beat the other in a rock paper scissors scenario, but that isn't different than another character's variation beating one of yours and one of yours beating that one and you go back and forth.

Ofcourse it could just be as such that Variation B clobbers the shit out of both A and C and character x mirrors will always be x-b vs x-b so variations don't really affect the mirror matchup

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
didn't think about this at all, looking forward to never having to fight the exact same variation mirror. I loathe the mirror with every character I use lol

I agree with you both. It's one of those things that adds an element that kind of takes away the angst of actually taking on your character. Someone can have a different variation and thus have a completely different style or mantra. Fun to think about.

E

Eldriken

I'm looking forward to getting counter-picked with my own character due to a variation instead of a character counter-pick. =P

There's gonna be a whole lot of shit to discover in this game. Just imagine how long it's going to take to flesh out everything this game has as it evolves.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I'm like you TS. I despise mirror matches. Honestly I don't play them well and never will. It's mental, and I hate them.

As much as I do though, in MKX it will be slightly more tolerable if it's against a different variation. That may happen if you main a character with multiple viable variations. However, if you main a character with an "above all" variation it'll be that much more irritating playing mirrors.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I have to tell you, in every FG I've ever played, I've always hated mirror matches. It didn't matter if the skill level was good on good, bad on good, bad on bad, whatever... the thought of a mirror match was always unacceptable and annoying.

That said, MKX and the 3 character variations may take a bit of the sting out of things in several ways. The obvious way is going up against your character that's using one of the other 2 styles besides the one you're using. That makes it as if you're going up against a different character completely. That could make mirrors something to behold as the game goes on. We could find out during those trials, which variation could be the primary variation for that character.

Just some food for thought that I wasn't sure was discussed. Thoughts?

I absolutely fucking hate Mirror matches unless i'm clearly the better of the players.

Variations definitely take the punch out of it a little bit.

in mkx characters aren't characters, variations are characters. Why do we keep doing this.
Has NRS stated how moves are handled per character variations? For example, does one character in particular share all or only some normals within it's variations?

I think people are being quite optimistic. I hope it works out this way, but at the very least i'm willing to bet we'll see mirrors during at least the first 3+ months as players decide they feel more comfortable with variation x or y vs trying to counterpick the matchup.

Character loyalty is fun and all, but if it turns out unbreakable sub is top tier, we'll see unbreakable sub mirrors.

trufenix

bye felicia
Has NRS stated how moves are handled per character variations? For example, does one character in particular share all or only some normals within it's variations?
NRS hasn't stated much of anything. What's known has been gathered from playable builds but the variation design seems entirely character specific. A great number of them (Mostly the ones with weapons) do have new and altered normals tho.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I'm not sure what you are saying, OP.
Yes, playing a match that isn't a mirror probably won't feel like playing a mirror. I guess.

From what we know, depends. Ninjutsu and Cryomancer seem to have altered moves including normals. Kitana may differ radically from one variation to another, while all we know about KL's variations is that he will have his "delayed hat" working differently depending on variation.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
very good point made in OP but just straying away from gameplay for a sec,
i wonder how the characters will interact with eachother in mirrors in the intros where they talk,
in injustice they had a way around it since there were 2 of the same character because of the story so interesting what MKX will do

different variations is about as much of a mirror match as ryu vs ken
YeAh you are right, for example raiden displAcer is going to be able to outzone and escApe lord of storms traps easily, because lord of storms will have no tp to counter-zone projectiles whereas if they try to projectile and/or setup displacer can tp out of the projectile and possibly away from the orbs entirely, or on reaction to the attempt to set them up. It might prove to be a 7-3

Whereas Ryu can somewhat out space ken due to superior fireball recovery and 3 frame low forward, however ken has better offense. Then again their tools are much more even.. And kind of cancel each other out

Gonna be interesting seeing something like

Kitana A vs Kitana B = 6-4 MU? :confused:
There will hardly be any even mus except kitana a vs kitana a, and good bulk of these variations will have limited situational to no comp. use. Balancing 72 different characters with useful moves is too unrealistic to except. There will be some lackluster ones.

The Highlander

There can be only one
i wonder how the characters will interact with eachother in mirrors in the intros where they talk,
in injustice they had a way around it since there were 2 of the same character because of the story so interesting what MKX will do
I think we have seen the Cassie Cage mirror intro already. I don't remember exactly what they said but it was something like C1.funny, C2.your face is funny C1. dude you just insulted yourself...
so It looks like it will be similar to injustice and involve some humor.

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Well, we have examples with Cassie and Kano at this point. Not sure if we'll get mirrors in story mode though, if that's what you're asking.

There will hardly be any even mus except kitana a vs kitana a, and good bulk of these variations will have limited situational to no comp. use. Balancing 72 different characters with useful moves is too unrealistic to except. There will be some lackluster ones.
This post (and entire thread) reminds me of that "Shazam is 4-6 for Shazam" joke. And another one, that isn't even a joke it seems, what's with "JC 5.5 - 4.5 JC because of P1 advantage".

Most lackluster variation I have seen is ermac fly variation, I think its gonna be poo...