What's new

Question Mileena

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I can actually answer bunches of questions.

Everyone has covered her bad MU's pretty much, if there's any specifics I'd be more than happy to answer :)
what about setups? does mils have situations where i can set up for a low or overhead? or anything else i can use?
Also, i'm doing a 37% from a jip with 1 bar, is that her most damaging combo?

Not to be a douche about it, but I honestly think her biggest problem is simply how well people play the matchup against her. In terms of a credit/viability ratio, she is by far the most overrated character in MK9 history.
Is mileena overrated? i though we knew she was close to mid-tier at least.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
what about setups? does mils have situations where i can set up for a low or overhead? or anything else i can use?

She doesn't really have any setups, you just need to work on getting into their head and mixing up your low and overhead, and 38% is her max with 1 bar iirc. You never want to go over 1 bar. You pretty much do combos into a knockdown, fake them out and combo, or mixup.

zaf

professor
She doesn't really have any setups, you just need to work on getting into their head and mixing up your low and overhead, and 38% is her max with 1 bar iirc. You never want to go over 1 bar. You pretty much do combos into a knockdown, fake them out and combo, or mixup.
There is one legit set up. Ending combos with telekick, landing behind them and going for a low or overhead with ex ball or u4. Or go for grabs, other pressure etc etc
That shit can be annoying.

Eddy Wang The match ups giving her the most problems are like cage, sonya really.
Those are bad, possibly 7-3s. She has some bad 6-4 match ups but all very winnable. Cage and sonya give her the most trouble.

KingOko

Was it good for you?
She does have some set ups tho like ending combos with u3, then roll/teleport into pressure with another u3 (overhead) or b3 ( low). The u3 is the better options as it allows you to continue pressure with 4,2. The b3 can be canceled into ex roll for a low/overhead mixup too. Overall she just has some gimmicks that can open people up but it's nothing serious. Also end combos with the teleport so you can continue pressure with u3, 4,2 or bait and punish a wake up.

U3 is u4 lol my bad haven't played in a while...mk is dead :(

coolwhip

Noob
I don't think Kung lao is such a bad matchup. Small hitbox helps a lot here. Maybe 4/6 at worse but no way more that than. But I dare to say it's 5/5. You can punish any random spins from everywhere on screen and also punish 2,4 on whiff. You can't do your usual air game because of fly kick, spin and roll, but if you read any of these, they are fully punishable. Also his pressure is not anywhere near as bad as Sonya's, Cage's and Kabal's. And again, stay away from corners.
Why would Kung Lao ever need to random spin against Mileena? He can literally sit back, do nothing but low hats and rolls (f3), 2,4 low hat (which she can't punish), and just wait for her to take risks and punish her hard. He can punish everything she does for 42%, including EX tele.

Watch Denzel's Kung Lao decimate Pig's Mileena at MLG Dallas 2012 to see how the match-up should be played. It's an awful match-up for her.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
Why would Kung Lao ever need to random spin against Mileena? He can literally sit back, do nothing but low hats and rolls (f3), 2,4 low hat (which she can't punish), and just wait for her to take risks and punish her hard. He can punish everything she does for 42%, including EX tele.

Watch Denzel's Kung Lao decimate Pig's Mileena at MLG Dallas 2012 to see how the match-up should be played. It's an awful match-up for her.
its not "awful". its 6-4 at worst.

coolwhip

Noob
its not "awful". its 6-4 at worst.
According to you. According to top players who main either character, it's 7-3. The reasons you say this is a 6-4 make no sense, since you're basing this on a wrong way to play the match-up. Mileena has no answer for low hats up close (one of the very few characters that can't punish), and has to take big risks against a character that punishes her hard. Meanwhile, Kung Lao doesn't have to teleport like, ever, and he especially does not have to throw random spins like you suggested.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
According to you. According to top players who main either character, it's 7-3. The reasons you say this is a 6-4 make no sense, since you're basing this on a wrong way to play the match-up. Mileena has no answer for low hats up close (one of the very few characters that can't punish), and has to take big risks against a character that punishes her hard. Meanwhile, Kung Lao doesn't have to teleport like, ever, and he especially does not have to throw random spins like you suggested.

Pig and sonic think its 6-4. I believe death thought it was 6-4 as well.

The MU isn't horrible man. In order for Lao to do low hat and roll without being punished, he has to be near her. If he's outside roll range, there isn't shit he's doing since any hat will get tele'd and roll will get punished by roll. 24 has to be used upclose as well since it has small range. If he whiffs that, it gets punished.

Lao HAS to either let mileena kill herself orplay her upclose. A smart mileena who knows the MU won't just tele or roll all day. They'll play patient and attack when the time is right.

Mileena's low hitbox helps in the MU as well since lao won't be chipping her to death.

Its 6-4 IMO. Lao shuts down mileena craziness but mileena also shuts down his as well. He just shuts hers down better since he gets better punishes and damage. He also wins upclose due to the speed of his normals and damage.

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free

What combo are you doing? If I land u3 after a jip, I do u3(again), b14, 4 roll, b14, d2. I believe that does 37% no bar and since it ends in d2, its a toasty boost opportunity (bbf3). I only do that if I have 0-1 bar tho. If I have more, I do u3(again), 4 telekick sai, d4 roll, b14 neckbite/sai. Does 37% I believe.

She can get 41% no bar midscreen but that shit is hard lol

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
What combo are you doing? If I land u3 after a jip, I do u3(again), b14, 4 roll, b14, d2. I believe that does 37% no bar and since it ends in d2, its a toasty boost opportunity (bbf3). I only do that if I have 0-1 bar tho. If I have more, I do u3(again), 4 telekick sai, d4 roll, b14 neckbite/sai. Does 37% I believe.

She can get 41% no bar midscreen but that shit is hard lol
I'm doing: Jip 23 ex roll, U4, B14, 112 roll, U4 xx Quick Dash, B2.

The last U4 is a hard knockdown so the back 2 can chip a bit more.

There is one legit set up. Ending combos with telekick, landing behind them and going for a low or overhead with ex ball or u4. Or go for grabs, other pressure etc etc
That shit can be annoying.

Eddy Wang The match ups giving her the most problems are like cage, sonya really.
Those are bad, possibly 7-3s. She has some bad 6-4 match ups but all very winnable. Cage and sonya give her the most trouble.
I'm trying this one, still haven't managed to succeed with it.

Got raped by Kung Lao today, but it wasn't because of how hard the MU was, i'm still not used to her, so there is tools that i don't know what are their purpose yet.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
no. I will edge up the things up a bit in 2014 for the angolan players, so to give them more chances to win i will be playing mileena and smoke more in 2014.

They're saying my skarlet has reached a state where is 1 win over a 100, so is much dificult to fight me on a tournament.
You're giving players a chance by playing Smoke? U wot m8?

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
i didnt suggest anything you weirdo. i just said its 6-4. deal.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Honestly at a high level smart players will take away your setups with U4 by using characters that have armored specials.(Rain, Raiden, Sonya, etc.)
When they start interrupting that it forces you to start your strings with 4,2( which I believe is her best anyway) or get in with D4.
I like to counter zone with the teleport. If it hits you get free pressure on most of the cast. Her mixups are not that great and punishable so you need to make sure you chip throw as much as possible to maximize your damage. After a teleport hits I like to jump in punch then do b1 into a throw.
If they start anticipating that just do it after the jump in punch or continue the string for a full combo.
Hope this helps a little, I have a combo that does 39 meterless but I need to play to remember the exact inputs.( 35 for the easy version)

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I understand that.

Lots of mileena players in this topic are forgetting the notations, mileena doesn't have a U3 hahaha.
Yeah haha I know that. That's the one string (B14) that I always forget in notations, everything else i know. The character is just etched into my brain for playing her for so many years.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah haha I know that. That's the one string (B14) that I always forget in notations, everything else i know. The character is just etched into my brain for playing her for so many years.
i will update my progress everytime i play her, so you guys can keep in touch on what's happening, probably will record some matches this sunday during the casuals of the Final MK9 tournament of 2013 event.

Reactions: Jer
The way to play this matchups is to play it very lame. James kung lao isnt supposed to teleport against mileena at all and if you play kung laos that keep teleporting it will seem like the matchup isnt bad.

Kung lao plays the matchup lame, and does not rely on chip pressure at all. You throw hats at mileena at the range where she cant teleport punish you on reaction and at the range where if she jumps you can still spin/divekick her after she jumped over your lowhat, you space f3 roll well and use it everytime she whiffs d4, offense isnt about making her block those strings but actually landing small hits and punish with 21/24 spin if she whiffs anything. Ex teleport as oki pressure beats her teleport and roll, both ex teleport and roll are full combo punishable by kung laos ex tele 2 overhead smash. her d4 is a real strength in this matchup but when close enough kung laos d3 will be a great tool because it is faster than her d4 which forces her to make use of her d3 as well. and like khaotik said kung laos damage beats her slightly because kung lao actually has custom combos to punish her specials with slightly more damage than his usual anti air punishes.
Thanks for the explanation on how Kung lao should fight Mileena. But after everyone's input I think we should agree that is 4/6 and not 3/7.