What's new

Question Mileena

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So recently i've started to play with this character, and i intend to go further in 2014 as a new main to challenge myself up a bit.

I don't now much about it so far, but she is pretty fun, aside from the negative edge, that i have to add a move to my own everytime i do a D3 or a D4.

Well, questions are:
What are mils bad Matchups?
Why is her most common problem?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Maybe those were the matchups day 1 when MK very first came out, but in the most recent patch that everyone plays on today those numbers are far wrong
yeah, if i recall correctly at one of the MLGs Pig was fighting PL's KL with mileena and really was giving him some stuff to remind off

Since no one is replying, I will.

Cage (3/7): If he gets close and start his pressure is hard to escape because of luck of armor and slow normals. He can punish you hard and everytime end his combos with NP for more pressure. He will destroy you in the corner. D4 and iaS will help a lot to keep him away.

Sonya (2:8): Mileena's best tool against most of the cast is usually d4. Since Sonya has the same d4 that can be also cancelled to the safe MS and cartwheel, Sonya's d4 "wins". After a blocked cartwheel that is -3 on block, Sonya actually has the advantage because of much faster normals. D1 is not an option since it's -6 on hit, and d3 is too risky because Sonya might iaDK that will lead to huge combo. And of course Sonya can use her safe armor. Mileena has to take a lot of risks and need 80% correct guesses to win.

Kabal (4:6): The good thing is that he can't iaGB you all day like most of the cast because of teleport. The bad thing is that ND on startup beats the teleport. Your biggest concern is his NDC pressure though. Corner is obviously a problem. This matchup is too tricky, but I give Kabal is mathematical advantage of 60%(!). Don't be too afraid to iaS as well to make him respect it.

Her other bad matchups (4/6) are Smoke (b2,3), Kitana (d1) and Robot Cyrax (duh).

Also Kenshi but I don't know why (probably mostly because spirit charge destroys d4).

I don't think Kung lao is such a bad matchup. Small hitbox helps a lot here. Maybe 4/6 at worse but no way more that than. But I dare to say it's 5/5. You can punish any random spins from everywhere on screen and also punish 2,4 on whiff. You can't do your usual air game because of fly kick, spin and roll, but if you read any of these, they are fully punishable. Also his pressure is not anywhere near as bad as Sonya's, Cage's and Kabal's. And again, stay away from corners.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I like mileena. I still use her to this day.

Sonya destroys her tho. Easily her worst MU. Other bad MUs consists of cage, Lao, kitana, kenshi, MAYBE ermac, cyrax and Kabal. She does beat quite a few of the cast too and has decent even MUs. Not too bad of a character.

yeah, if i recall correctly at one of the MLGs Pig was fighting PL's KL with mileena and really was giving him some stuff to remind off
Pl's playstyle is very weak against mileena, tom brady plays the matchup very good. Even though the matchup is pretty bad for mileena, you cant go crazy on her at all.

That's EVO 2012. We are almost in 2014.
Oh I am sorry I forgot people still play this game offline/in tournaments....What has changed in the matchup since 2012? Kung lao has an answer for everything mileena does, the best this matchup could be is a 4-6 for mileena.

Oh I am sorry I forgot people still play this game offline/in tournaments....What has changed in the matchup since 2012? Kung lao has an answer for everything mileena does, the best this matchup could be is a 4-6 for mileena.
Man, in 2012 Kung Lao was believed to be top 2. Now it's debatable whether or not he is top 5. Watch EVO 2012 and then EVO 2013 and notice the difference on succesful teleports. People learned to punish them. What was changed is that people are (were) improving.

Also you are talking about how good Tom Brady's Kung lao was against Mileena. Tom Brady dropped the game when Jax was believed to be 7/3 Kabal.

I'm not saying that everyting is different about this matchup now, but I do believe it's 4/6 at worse.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
The Lao MU isn't THAT bad. He isn't doing shit to her outside his max range of his roll. Mileena's low hitbox always helps her upclose as well. She doesn't have to worry about either versions of tele and all hats get tele'd if he's outside his safe range. KL can't really play his crazy mobility style against her due to the sais, roll and tele.

She still loses tho. He beats her upclose and she can't even punish low hat upclose. Her speed doesn't match Lao's at all. He punishes her much harder than she punishes him. The risk/reward factor is in his favor too.

I'd say 6-4 Lao.

Last edited:

Death

Noob
Sonya at the highest level rapes Mileena 8-2. I think that's mileenas worst MU. Kenshi, Cage also beat her 7-3. Other bad MUs are Kabal, Cyrax, KL, Smoke.

I've seen some people say Kit beats her but I never agreed. Mileena has good tools vs her.

The Lao MU isn't THAT bad. He isn't doing shit to her outside his max range of his roll. Mileena's low hitbox always helps her upclose as well. She does t have to worry about either versions of tele and all hats get tele'd if he's outside his safe range. KL can't really play his crazy mobility style against her due to the sais, roll and tele.

She still loses tho. He beats her upclose and she can't even punish low hat upclose. Her speed doesn't match Lao's at all. He punishes her much harder than she punishes him. The risk/reward factor is in his favor too.

I'd say 6-4 Lao.
Man, in 2012 Kung Lao was believed to be top 2. Now it's debatable whether or not he is top 5. Watch EVO 2012 and then EVO 2013 and notice the difference on succesful teleports. People learned to punish them. What was changed is that people are (were) improving.

Also you are talking about how good Tom Brady's Kung lao was against Mileena. Tom Brady dropped the game when Jax was believed to be 7/3 Kabal.

I'm not saying that everyting is different about this matchup now, but I do believe it's 4/6 at worse.
The way to play this matchups is to play it very lame. James kung lao isnt supposed to teleport against mileena at all and if you play kung laos that keep teleporting it will seem like the matchup isnt bad.

Kung lao plays the matchup lame, and does not rely on chip pressure at all. You throw hats at mileena at the range where she cant teleport punish you on reaction and at the range where if she jumps you can still spin/divekick her after she jumped over your lowhat, you space f3 roll well and use it everytime she whiffs d4, offense isnt about making her block those strings but actually landing small hits and punish with 21/24 spin if she whiffs anything. Ex teleport as oki pressure beats her teleport and roll, both ex teleport and roll are full combo punishable by kung laos ex tele 2 overhead smash. her d4 is a real strength in this matchup but when close enough kung laos d3 will be a great tool because it is faster than her d4 which forces her to make use of her d3 as well. and like khaotik said kung laos damage beats her slightly because kung lao actually has custom combos to punish her specials with slightly more damage than his usual anti air punishes.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i'd say lao is 7-3, mostly because, once he gets the life lead, theres pretty much almost nothing that Mileena can do. Plus spin will make most mileena's fearful of using their d4's.

You are very wrong..

I dropped MK9 when IGAU came out... my style of KL ended up being the way every KL tried to play vs mileena.

My KL was certainly trash, but it was damn good vs mileena.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
So recently i've started to play with this character, and i intend to go further in 2014 as a new main to challenge myself up a bit.

I don't now much about it so far, but she is pretty fun, aside from the negative edge, that i have to add a move to my own everytime i do a D3 or a D4.

Well, questions are:
whatever happened to skarlet?? u drop her?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
whatever happened to skarlet?? u drop her?
no. I will edge up the things up a bit in 2014 for the angolan players, so to give them more chances to win i will be playing mileena and smoke more in 2014.

They're saying my skarlet has reached a state where is 1 win over a 100, so is much dificult to fight me on a tournament.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I can actually answer bunches of questions.

Everyone has covered her bad MU's pretty much, if there's any specifics I'd be more than happy to answer :)

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!

Well, questions are:
Not to be a douche about it, but I honestly think her biggest problem is simply how well people play the matchup against her. In terms of a credit/viability ratio, she is by far the most overrated character in MK9 history.