What's new

mileena untouched in new patch?

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
so mileena is absent from the new patch notes(so far anyways)

i really wanted to see her get armor on ex bite but it wasnt super needed so oh well

anyways there was mention in the notes of some general hit box changes,does this effect mimi's d3 and d4?
or has any mileena player noticed anything that was not in the notes?
how does the neg edge decrease (if at all) effect mileena?
with the wakeup window buffed,will roll on wakeup be even more dangerous?

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
I'm always happy when a patch comes out and Mileena isn't nerfed. However, on that same note characters getting buffed while she stays the same is kinda a nerf for her in itself.

She will always be my main so I really just get on with things. I'm still learning a lit about the game and about my character everyday and through the tournaments, training and offline competion with excellent players (Ketchup, Mustard, A F0xy Granpa and Klutch) the only real buffs I'd like for Mileena now would be:

-Enhanced Neckbites to be safe on block and have armor.
-Enhanced Telekick to be safe on block.
-FRAME DATA!!

Armor would be nice, but she doesn't need it. Now though maybe she does need it just to keep up with all the new armor gifts. (Why does Jax need more armor at all?) Looks like her matchups have mostly changed for the worse if these buffs for other characters prove as vital as I believe they will. But we'll see. Mileena must be NRS's model character. Never having been touched by a patch at all this whole time.

I don't think she needs a buff on her damage scaling, she already has an overhead, a low jab, and a roll that leads to combos. More than enough if you ask, just look at ermac.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Am I the ONLY one who thinks she could've used a buff for her damage scaling?
I'm guessin he may just be talking about her general combo's. All of her juggles have loads of hits but don't do much more than 30%.

Anyway if he is then no, just with ball and air trades she juggles you a lot more often then other characters do anyway theres nothing wrong with her dmg. I really don't think Mileena needs anything a change on some useless normals like b2 might be nice but everyone has useless attacks.

I don't see how ex neckbite with armor would be much of a buff, even with it I don't see much use for it, you have ball and tk on wakeup you could use it to escape a few frametraps I guess but I'm not even sure I'd want to use a bar for it.

I'm guessin he may just be talking about her general combo's. All of her juggles have loads of hits but don't do much more than 30%.

Anyway if he is then no, just with ball and air trades she juggles you a lot more often then other characters do anyway theres nothing wrong with her dmg. I really don't think Mileena needs anything a change on some useless normals like b2 might be nice but everyone has useless attacks.

I don't see how ex neckbite with armor would be much of a buff, even with it I don't see much use for it, you have ball and tk on wakeup you could use it to escape a few frametraps I guess but I'm not even sure I'd want to use a bar for it.
Well if that's the case then her damage is fine. Her xray scales really badly compared to people like Sub Zero (Who I think is NRS's new favorite).

Armor on any move is useful. You don't need it for wakeup. Think about it... No more Kabal block string pressure... no more Cage rushdown pressure... It would be like having a 1 bar xray. I'd rather burn 1 bar to blow through frame traps than 3. Just sayin.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Ideally, I would prefer if the Enhanced Neckbite had faster startup, travelled further, was safe on block, had way less recovery on whiff and was advantageous hit. I would take those things over an armored version of that move any day, but I doubt NRS would tweak the move like that (come on NRS make this move useful). I actually like the idea of the move but I kinda feel NRS forgot that you actually have to spend meter to use the move in the first place. It's effectively a worse version of the basic Neckbite because you don't even get any advantage after it hits and your opponent gets their wakeup back. It's a shame.

I don't even know why Enhanced Telekick isn't safe on crouch blocking opponents. It's a better pressure tool than combo tool. It does 9% on hit so why use it in combos when Enhanced Sai shot does 11% in the air? I think that spending meter on move with no armor and medicore wakeup qualities is penalty enough. Why do you get punished further by it being unsafe to people you can switch their blocking stance to low between blocked hits and combo punish?

Those would be my two main requests. I can deal with the slow normals and the unsafe offensive special moves. That's fair game, but the two above things are concerns to me.

Oh, and Mileena's damage and damage scaling is fine. She has many mixups and a lot of tools that let you hit players on various parts of the field. Setups are more important to Mileena.

In terms of X-Ray damage it's fine. If NRS were clever they would reduce the X-Ray damage to 27%-28% make her X-Ray launch upwards slighty after the knee to the face. That would be the best way of balancing it and it would interesting to use.

Right now all my meter goes on Breaker, Enhanced Roll (which has slight hitbox issues with whiffing after a blocked B+3) and Enhanced Telekicks.

Hopefully, one day NRS will implement changes that wouldn't necessarily make her better but more fun to play.

Evrain

Noob
Ideally, I would prefer if the Enhanced Neckbite had faster startup, travelled further, was safe on block, had way less recovery on whiff and was advantageous hit. I would take those things over an armored version of that move any day, but I doubt NRS would tweak the move like that (come on NRS make this move useful). I actually like the idea of the move but I kinda feel NRS forgot that you actually have to spend meter to use the move in the first place. It's effectively a worse version of the basic Neckbite because you don't even get any advantage after it hits and your opponent gets their wakeup back. It's a shame.

I don't even know why Enhanced Telekick isn't safe on crouch blocking opponents. It's a better pressure tool than combo tool. It does 9% on hit so why use it in combos when Enhanced Sai shot does 11% in the air? I think that spending meter on move with no armor and medicore wakeup qualities is penalty enough. Why do you get punished further by it being unsafe to people you can switch their blocking stance to low between blocked hits and combo punish?

Those would be my two main requests. I can deal with the slow normals and the unsafe offensive special moves. That's fair game, but the two above things are concerns to me.

Oh, and Mileena's damage and damage scaling is fine. She has many mixups and a lot of tools that let you hit players on various parts of the field. Setups are more important to Mileena.

In terms of X-Ray damage it's fine. If NRS were clever they would reduce the X-Ray damage to 27%-28% make her X-Ray launch upwards slighty after the knee to the face. That would be the best way of balancing it and it would interesting to use.

Right now all my meter goes on Breaker, Enhanced Roll (which has slight hitbox issues with whiffing after a blocked B+3) and Enhanced Telekicks.

Hopefully, one day NRS will implement changes that wouldn't necessarily make her better but more fun to play.
Hi Helter,

Just to start off with that I've seen your Mileena on streams of the tournaments you've participated in and it's a joy watching you represent her. So props to you on that.

Anyway, back to the topic. Your suggestion for Enchanced Neckbite is an interesting one and indeed would make it be a skill actually worth spending the one bar in because as of now I only ever mostly use EN Neckbite as a combo ender if I know that little bit of extra damage will finish off the opponent if they are close to empty health prior to the combo. So yes, it's use is at the moment is quite situational.

Teleport attacks are a double edged sword and the rest of the cast when they use EN teleport and if the opponent is blocking they receive a punish. Mileena's EN Telekick is a bit more forgiving and a lot better off than other teleporters as it can be somewhat made safe by iAS or safe if the opponent doesn't know that low blocking will punish it. (Of course that depends on the player). Whilst I would welcome an EN Telekick based on your suggestions, if implemented, I think would be the new moaned about "spin". I think we have to live with the fact that whilst EN Telekick is a great tool that Mileena posesses, it has to come with risks. Maybe if your suggestion to EN Neckbite was made real it would give me a reason to spend bars on something other than breakers and EN Telekick like yourself.

I like your X-Ray suggestion a lot and could add a bit more spice to Mileena's gameplay.

I hope I addressed your post correctly and did not misunderstand what you were trying to point out.

...raiden player here messing around.

Can you make telekick and ex tele kick safe if you instant sai or delay the sai after a block? What is ex roll practical for? what are her wake up options.

none of her special moves are safe on block except air sai. Only thing you can do is throw off the timing of a punish on telekick by altering when you do the sai. Crouch blocking EX telekick grants free d1 into whatever even with sai.

EX roll is her fastest special and it's overhead so it goes well in mixups. It also allows you to do a regular roll mid combo and get a relaunch.

Warborn

Freebies for all
Think about it... No more Kabal block string pressure... no more Cage rushdown pressure... It would be like having a 1 bar xray. I'd rather burn 1 bar to blow through frame traps than 3. Just sayin.
Resorting to a desperate X-ray should never be the answer for getting out of that pressure. Using just a bar wouldn't be bad, but this reason alone I don't feel is enough to justify giving Mileena armor that is not needed. A well timed d+3,d+4 will give you enough space from those characters

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
I think D+4 makes Mileena look too good in my personal opinion. I mean Cyrax is beast and now his Saw is overhead and majorly safe (with exceptions). Just based on the fact that NRS believe he'll be weaker without resets. Mustard is the best Cyrax (and my favorite) on paper and he doesn't even use the resets (he's a smart guy because they were always gonna get removed) so he's just his own a personal buff. lol.

Scorpion is the character I think Mileena mirrors in terms of risk/reward and general application. He hits hard, beats turtles and has good normals while he's mixing you up. Mileena has better offensive specials, can turtle and counters movement better while mixing you up. However, his Takedowns are now safe on block and his Enhanced version has armor. He can pay meter to wakeup safely and I'm happy for him. He actually needs meter to weigh up his risks (Breaker, Hell Fire).

I would trade D+4 for:

LEAPING NECKBITE
-Safe On Block
-Safe On Whiff
-Overhead
-Reduced Landing Recovery On Hit

LEAPING LUNCH
-Safe On Block
-Safe On Whiff
-Overhead
-ARMOR

I don't think Mileena is bad in the slightest, but I don't understand why she's getting overlooked. I'm sounding like a post patch Sindel player. Heh.

Anyway, Fuck D+4 and I've stopped caring about Enhanced Telekick, just keep the current D+3. I wanT to spend my money to wakeup and attempt safe B+3 setups. Like Jay Z says "Can I Live?". lol.

Resorting to a desperate X-ray should never be the answer for getting out of that pressure. Using just a bar wouldn't be bad, but this reason alone I don't feel is enough to justify giving Mileena armor that is not needed. A well timed d+3,d+4 will give you enough space from those characters
It's not resorting to a desperate x-ray. The fact that she has it equipped will make kabal/cage/whoever players be less hasty in their blockstrings or they eat 33%. It's a threat on it's own. They may be looking to bait it which gives you room to breathe anyway. Armor adds to the mindgame.

I never said Mileena needed armor, just that if they were gonna give everyone else armor, this change would be nice.

Fun fact. As of the patch, there are now 9 characters left that have no armor. They are Ermac, Noob, Smoke, Mileena, Sektor, Cyrax, Cyber Sub, Sindel, and Shang Tsung.

Of these nine, 2 have counter moves (Smoke/CSZ), and 2 have "get off me" specials (Cyrax/CSZ). The rest have to gamble a low poke for 1% and very minor frame advantage when trying to escape that kind of blockstring pressure. So these characters use their full bar x-rays for armor while the rest need only 1 bar.

Just found this interesting. I wonder if there will come a time when everyone has at least one armored EN move. Some already have multiple moves with armor.

Warborn

Freebies for all
It's not resorting to a desperate x-ray. The fact that she has it equipped will make kabal/cage/whoever players be less hasty in their blockstrings or they eat 33%. It's a threat on it's own. They may be looking to bait it which gives you room to breathe anyway. Armor adds to the mindgame.

I never said Mileena needed armor, just that if they were gonna give everyone else armor, this change would be nice.
My bad dude. Guess I just read your post wrong...

It's fine. No beef man.

I do agree that EN neckbite should at least be safe on block. I mean that would give her a safe wakeup attack at the cost of meter. Some would argue that EN Telekick being safe would be OP (I don't know if it would honestly), but I doubt any non-Mileena players would care about EN neckbite. Don't see any harm in that.

Fun fact. As of the patch, there are now 9 characters left that have no armor. They are Ermac, Noob, Smoke, Mileena, Sektor, Cyrax, Cyber Sub, Sindel, and Shang Tsung.

Of these nine, 2 have counter moves (Smoke/CSZ), and 2 have "get off me" specials (Cyrax/CSZ). The rest have to gamble a low poke for 1% and very minor frame advantage when trying to escape that kind of blockstring pressure. So these characters use their full bar x-rays for armor while the rest need only 1 bar.

Just found this interesting. I wonder if there will come a time when everyone has at least one armored EN move. Some already have multiple moves with armor.
sektor doesn't need armor, he's a robot. duh. and your forgot about one of the best 'get off me moves' teh flamethrower. sektor never has to use his xray for armor, sektor has a homing missle and extu... his meter not be spent elsewhere.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
That would be so sick, just like Kung Lao, Liu Kang, and Cage, being able to combo into and after X-Ray. I'm all for it by the way. Would be great, you could add another B+1, 4 into whatever, or whatever jump kick string, you want.

sektor doesn't need armor, he's a robot. duh. and your forgot about one of the best 'get off me moves' teh flamethrower. sektor never has to use his xray for armor, sektor has a homing missle and extu... his meter not be spent elsewhere.
Heh, yeah he is a robot that's a good point. And yeah, flamethrower is amazing, but by "get off me" moves I meant extremely fast moves you could use to stop constant rushdown. (Flamethrower is too slow to interrupt blockstring pressure) He has other uses for meter, but I was just making a general comparison.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator

8 bro, shang has armor on ex soul steal

I think D+4 makes Mileena look too good in my personal opinion. I mean Cyrax is beast and now his Saw is overhead and majorly safe (with exceptions). Just based on the fact that NRS believe he'll be weaker without resets. Mustard is the best Cyrax (and my favorite) on paper and he doesn't even use the resets (he's a smart guy because they were always gonna get removed) so he's just his own a personal buff. lol.

Scorpion is the character I think Mileena mirrors in terms of risk/reward and general application. He hits hard, beats turtles and has good normals while he's mixing you up. Mileena has better offensive specials, can turtle and counters movement better while mixing you up. However, his Takedowns are now safe on block and his Enhanced version has armor. He can pay meter to wakeup safely and I'm happy for him. He actually needs meter to weigh up his risks (Breaker, Hell Fire).

I would trade D+4 for:

LEAPING NECKBITE
-Safe On Block
-Safe On Whiff
-Overhead

LEAPING LUNCH
-Safe On Block
-Safe On Whiff
-Overhead
-ARMOR

I don't think Mileena is bad in the slightest, but I don't understand why she's getting overlooked. I'm sounding like a post patch Sindel player. Heh.

Anyway, Fuck D+4 and I've stopped caring about Enhanced Telekick, just keep the current D+3. I wanT to spend my money to wakeup and attempt safe B+3 setups. Like Jay Z says "Can I Live?". lol.
I gotta respectfully disagree, i feel mileena would be op if the d4 was just average and she had a completly safe special that left the opponnent standing. I also think she'd be so much less mix-up oriented, and all around less anoying to play against without the legendary d4, i almost feel like she'd be a different character to play if those changes were made

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
I gotta respectfully disagree, i feel mileena would be op if the d4 was just average and she had a completly safe special that left the opponnent standing. I also think she'd be so much less mix-up oriented, and all around less anoying to play against without the legendary d4, i almost feel like she'd be a different character to play if those changes were made
Erm, so a safe on block overhead that dealt 7% normally or 11% at the cost of an entire meter, and left you standing with minor advantage or splats you with meter (effectively giving you back your wakeup). Would make Mileena OP compared to similar moves like:

-Johnny Cage's nut punch that deals 10% or 14% if the player chooses to spend meter?

-Scorpion's new safe Takedown and safe, half screen traveling, armored, Takedown? Moves that both hit low and deal 10% and 14% respectively.

-What about Cyrax's Buzzsaw hitting overhead now and being a hard punish?

That's just a few of the things that are in the game. Leaving players standing with Mileena's Neckbite yields no advantage besides taking away the opponent's wakeup. If it was safe on block then doing B+3 mixups wouldn't be an inherent risk and therefore adds to her mixup (more options). If it hit overhead it wouldn't matter because the only move you need to low block punish is both versions of the Telekick. And she imps on your face, anyway. Both of those things would actually make her mixup much, much, better. Finally, Mileena players would finally be able to get off the floor at cost of an entire bar. Considering that she needs to use meter to get anything damaging off B+3, to maintain pressure with Enhanced Telekick and most importantly use breakers. If we want to pay our way off the floor, I can honestly say I don't think it's OP at all.

D+4 is Mileena's crutch. Great move; not-so great experience. lol.