What's new

Tech - Mileena Mileena Oki Tech/Setups

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
i have tried it since i saw the tech and always get blown up. However, tried it piercing for the 1st time tonight and got it every time. You think standing 3 could work better in rav?
I've managed to work it in Ethereal but the F1 in that variation seems faster so I had to delay the input from the HKD to make it work, it might be the same in Ravenous but standing 3 should work just as well.

@Mr. Mileena it might be that my timing is terrible but I wanted to know what is the fastest wakeup you have been able to stuff after doing B21-2+4 to end combos? At the moment I can consistently stuff any wakeup that has 15f or more start up, anything faster than that I have to end combos in 21U+4 to get more advantage to reliably beat faster wakeups like EX Slide. It could be me but wanted to make sure

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
I've managed to work it in Ethereal but the F1 in that variation seems faster so I had to delay the input from the HKD to make it work, it might be the same in Ravenous but standing 3 should work just as well.

@Mr. Mileena it might be that my timing is terrible but I wanted to know what is the fastest wakeup you have been able to stuff after doing B21-2+4 to end combos? At the moment I can consistently stuff any wakeup that has 15f or more start up, anything faster than that I have to end combos in 21U+4 to get more advantage to reliably beat faster wakeups like EX Slide. It could be me but wanted to make sure
I noticed the same speed on F1 in Ethereal, which is nice. However, I do end all my combos in that variation with 21u4, for more advantage. So this could be the cause. The B22 ender causes too much recovery for my liking, seeing as I'm trying to fade away as quick as possible after a knock down- if I'm not pressuring on knock down (opponent has Xray, I want to turtle, etc.).

Good vids here. Telekick and X-Ray buff really helped her out big time. Top 10 is probably a stretch though, but I'm good as long as she has the tools to handle all the bullshit the rest of the cast has. (and the stuff still to be discovered). I'd personally still like to combo from Air sai, and maybe make EX Fade useable, but she's better than she was pre-patch.

Couple Questions though: @Mr. Mileena @theGabStandard
- In Ravenous/Ethereal, can't you catch backdash with f2,3 instead of B1,2? And also, is B1,2 slower in those variations?
- And does High Pounce give you the Hard KND for a F1,2,B4 setup?

Last edited:

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
i swear to god she is slept on big time.... but not by me good sir... Im fREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE too every decent to good Mileena.. Always have been from MK2 to MKX .. I flat out get wrekt by Mileena's usually...

Yes, some wakeups that have fast startup usually beat her F1. You would have to maybe bait it. but then again, they are taking more risk than you are.
Of a b21 2+4 that is, something like standing 3 (which is out of the question), or b21 2+4, gives you enough time for the most part to stuff about 80-90% wakeups, then are a few we must play with in lab. I may make a list which one's are will beat out her F1.

i swear to god she is slept on big time.... but not by me good sir... Im fREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE too every decent to good Mileena.. Always have been from MK2 to MKX .. I flat out get wrekt by Mileena's usually...
Yup. This is why I stuck with my character and generally stayed positive about her. I voiced my opinion about her d1 and telekick, and she at least got a fix on her telekick. She's going to be dangerous.

Couple Questions though: @Mr. Mileena
- In Ravenous/Ethereal, can't you catch backdash with f2,3 instead of B1,2? And also, is B1,2 slower in those variations?
- And does High Pounce give you the Hard KND for a F1,2,B4 setup?
B12 is slower and less far reaching than in Piercing.
F23, may be able to do this but remember, you're -7 after it, and not -4 or -5, so you can get punished with 5 or 6 frame normals, and up to 7 frame specials.

As far as the high pounce question, hopefully someone can answer that. I'm not too familiar with Ravenous, sorry.

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
@ZeroEffect Yes, High Pounch gives you Hard knockdown. But, you're putting yourself a big risk before they will get up at about the same time you're in their face and inputting F1,2.

So is there a way to do this with Ravenous or Ethereal consistently? Someone earlier said f14 xx tele forward works, but f14 doesn't give you the knockdown it has during a juggle and doing raw f14 xx tele sounds impractical. B34 gives the knockdown but it seems tough to fit into a combo. I also noticed that U3 MB is a hard knockdown but i'm struggling to fit that in a mid-screen combo that doesn't end up doing under 22% ;-;.

TheGabStandard

So is there a way to do this with Ravenous or Ethereal consistently? Someone earlier said f14 xx tele forward works, but f14 doesn't give you the knockdown it has during a juggle and doing raw f14 xx tele sounds impractical. B34 gives the knockdown but it seems tough to fit into a combo. I also noticed that U3 MB is a hard knockdown but i'm struggling to fit that in a mid-screen combo that doesn't end up doing under 22% ;-;.
I unfortunately haven't had the time to drill into this set up in Ethereal. In theory I believe F14 xx Fade will get you in the right position to use F1 to stuff wakeups but due to tech roll I'm not sure if its viable. For backdashes B12 will probably hit characters with mediocre back dashes (like Quan Chi) but will probably fail to reach other characters with good ones but F23 might be a good alternative. I should have some time tonight to go through this properly and will post my findings.

Combo wise for now the best bet would be to end combos in 21U+4 for this setup. Low damaging but gives you enough advantage to apply the setup. I've been meaning to look into new Ethereal combos as well so will see what I will find tonight.

ili6741

Noob
B12 is slower and less far reaching than in Piercing.
F23, may be able to do this but remember, you're -7 after it, and not -4 or -5, so you can get punished with 5 or 6 frame normals, and up to 7 frame specials.

As far as the high pounce question, hopefully someone can answer that. I'm not too familiar with Ravenous, sorry.
Some stuff about the F234 string, B12 theory and Ravenous:

F23 has so much pushback that not even Kung Lao ex spin punishes it, nor does reptile ex dash. Only Reptile ex slide works, and that is very little damage for one bar. I.e: you are not going to get punished after F23. F234 is easily punishable by most, but F23 > (exroll_3) gives her a mixup opportunity. Sadly high pounce wont work after a blocked F23 so in order to threaten with an overhead you need the meter. Anyway, as long as you have meter it is scary for the opponent to press anything after F23, which will make the hesitate.

In fact Id argue that B12 leaves you in a worse situation on block than F23. You are forced to respect their options nonetheless, but after B12 you are left much closer to the enemy.

Mileena has terrible frames up close so outside of oki situations, even if she had a move that was +1 on block she'd still struggle to check people due to her lack of a good quick mid that hits low profilers, her 1 and 2 both being slow and her d1 being terrible. She'd have no way to make people respect her in that situation except for ex roll, which is risky to say the least.

She is not a frame trap character, and that is fine, she has other stuff. I do however think that people overestimate the frames for b12 in Piercing for these reasons. Being slightly minus with Mileena and close up is a really bad place to be in. It's still an excellent poke/whiff punisher, but rather than talking about how minus something is, in Mileena's case pushback is more important (as long as the attack is safe that is).

For Ravenous the pounces do help her after F12b4 on block in oki situations such as after 21u4 though, since F12b4 xx low pounce is safe vs most of the cast and thus makes it safer to commit on the low after F12. F12b4 xx high pounce works too but it's pretty gimmicky since the enemy is probably going to do a high/mid after the F12b4 on block (-6) since they can force a mixup, and thus high pounce wont hit.

Sadly she is only slightly plus on hit after either high pounce or low pounce hit, and cannot force a mixup, very much like her post-throw situation.

TheGabStandard

So I got around to testing the set up in Ethereal and it does work albeit harder to land consistently. F1 is faster in Ethereal than in Piercing so the timings to stuff wake-ups will be different. As for catching backdashes B12 works but due to it's range in Ethereal it is harder to land consistently (not impossible, just harder) and easy to mis-time, therefore letting people escape. However once perfected it is viable to apply this setup to Ethereal, and likely Ravenous.

As an additional note I ended all combos in 21U+4 before applying this setup.

qspec

Noob
You can get out of this by delayed wake-up into an armored attack which for Reptile (claw) was resulting in a full combo. Kind of a risk, but a big pay off. Also, the timing is a tiny bit tight, but you can get it consistently with training time.

Also, what's to stop your opponent from just delayed wake-up into a crouch block. He does risk eating an overhead if you have meter, but outside of that you go back to neutral and it is your opponents turn to mix you up.

Also, lightening fast armored moves are safe on wake-up (try Reptile's ex-slide).

All that said, good find. I think this is the most viable way to play her right now.