What's new

Mileena General Discussion

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Very nice! What kameos are you using with Mileena right now? For me, I've been using Sonya since she lets you increase your damage by about 10% with just one usage, and she makes the timing on ball roll combos significantly easier.
No lie, I'll always keep Sareena in the back pocket as a comfort pick, but I've been getting real scummy with these Jax unblockable set-ups. Never got so many quitalities in my life. I hope I didn't make anyone refund the game lol.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
So… I’m loving Mileena with Motaro. Is no one talking about how he can “nope” her out of her recovery frames from tele and ball roll?

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Hey, if you're still interested in getting bit more damage, I found that ending that first combo with DashxxF4 gives you just short of 39% (388) and leaves you +32 right next to the opponent.

Very nice, if you want a little more damage (42%) do the exact same combo but after you ex tele, do a delayed j22 and then 122. Full notation reads as

122 xx exDF2, delayed J22, 122 xx Roll, J22 xx DB4, dash F4.

Mileena only has one armored special, and it's her EX Teleport Down.
Right I get that, but based on the tutorial, wakeup ex specials are supposed to have invincible frames. Wakeup ex reversals dont work. Eve ln ex teleport gets stuffed by normals even though it takes your bar and says "get up reversal."

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Very nice, if you want a little more damage (42%) do the exact same combo but after you ex tele, do a delayed j22 and then 122. Full notation reads as

122 xx exDF2, delayed J22, 122 xx Roll, J22 xx DB4, dash F4.
How do you do the delayed j22? I can't get the following 122 to land for the life of me.

xWildx

Mileena eats wakeup armor with Goro.

You can meaty their wakeup with f144 and proceed to full combo them with his launching strike.

I was doing f144, assist, dash 21 roll, j22 air ball, dash f4.

Nets you between 33-36% meterless. I found most success on this after ending a combo with 34 or f4. Just depends on the character you’re fighting.

Sindel seems like a bitch though, and I couldn’t get it to work on her, so I’ll be sticking with f4 on oki until I cook up something different.

ItsOri

Noob
Goro also gives her a real OH Low mixup in the corner. Goro will launch off of low sai in the corner and they're close enough to continue the juggle.

So either 12 for the overhead and confirm into whatever like usual or 1 low sai into goro and confirm into whatever
both options should be safe.

1 low sai goro works mid screen if you do the further version but the timing to juggle with ball roll is trickier and it's not safe on block since the further goro won't cover you up close if they block.

Last edited:

FoughtDragon01

I'd like to take this time to formally apologize to the good Empress. When I first picked her up, I thought her damage was just alright, but nothing crazy like what the rest of the cast could get, and now she's sneezing and getting 40 to damn near 50 percent into oki and set-ups, which I think is her way of telling me to shut the fuck up.

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
i find it quite difficult to keep the opponent respectful at a sweep distance, just outside of range of her f1 i just get low poked into kingdom come. i feel like her d1 just isn't enough to do that. i think she does way too much damage, gladly would have better frames or f2 to be a mid perhaps instead.

FoughtDragon01

Alright, here's some Sektor tomfoolery. Thanks to his Up Rocket, he can give Mileena some low-key Wish.com 50/50s. After a F4 ender, with the right timing, she can fake-out with a S1 stagger then go for a sweep, which can then combo off of the rocket for a 30% combo. The set-up is fuzzy-able, but that'll be up to the opponent to know that lol. Otherwise, it turns every knockdown into a guess.

xWildx

Well then, I wasn’t aware of the disgusting damage Mileena can get with Scorpion.

ItsOri

Noob
So idk if this is common for the rest of the cast but milly is +2 off of sweep lol

It also launches for big damage w/ goro.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
Right I get that, but based on the tutorial, wakeup ex specials are supposed to have invincible frames. Wakeup ex reversals dont work. Eve ln ex teleport gets stuffed by normals even though it takes your bar and says "get up reversal."
That’s not right mate. Not all wakeup ex specials have this.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Wakeup EX specials only have armor, not invincibility. Wakeup kameo reversals grant you invincibility, but the strength of the kameo's reversal varies. Stuff like Sareena's flip kick and kameo Kung Lao's spin are good, but Cyrax's net is a terrible wakeup reversal.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
Ok incoming essay on my thoughts on Mileena's gameplay. Sorry in advance.

I've been playing her online a lot, and even though I've gotten quite good, I sadly don't think Mileena is very good this time around. She's super fun to play but a lot of characters literally shut her down completely due to her poor range and few tools to get in.

First up, she's great up close with some cool mixups and I've run into some people that have no idea what's happening when I get in. But after a while she's very easy to predict. Most of her strings are overhead and after you learn that, her moves are very punishable. 12 is great but has a gap that's very easy to react, and even if you try to use a Kameo with a low for mixup, it's still super punishable on block. Baraka literally punishes my 12 before I even try to mixup after, every single time lol. Plus her fast normals are all high, and her only mid starter is 13 frames and gets shut down by many characters when the low poke wars start. I don't know many other characters' frame data, but I sure get beat with their mids every time after low pokes. Range is also not great. 4, Jumping 1 and 2 specifically are mind-boggling bad, and for a character that needs to get in she doesn't have great advancing normals.

Now when your opponent knows how to counter her normal mixups (which to my experience, it seems they are quite easy to react to) or just walk back cause her range is not great, that's where all her issues start. In a kast with so many full screen projectiles, she's just not easy to get in. Especially with characters like Kenshi, Liu Kang, Shang Tsung, Rain, they can easily just keep her away and spam projectiles. And when you try to get in with roll or telekick, you still get stumped because they're so slow and punishable. I mean ball roll gets beaten by most other special moves that keep you out, like Kenshi's push or Sub Zero's clone charge as well as slide. And if you can't get in, you're out of options as her projectile stupidly enough has the range of Kenshi's normals -.- Her ex-sai also costs 2 meters and sure it combos after, but in a game with so many normal projectiles that combo, it should absolutely not cost 2 merers. I feel like they had an idea of how they wanted her to play, but she wasn't tested enough to see if her tools to get in are strong enough. Or whether she can actually hold her own with mid-screen projectiles.

But the fun with ball roll doesn't end here. It gets beaten even by jump kicks or even normals sometimes. I will walk back to whiff my opponent's attacks and when I roll to punish, I actually get hit out of it by normals. Surely that's not how it's supposed to work right? I remember back in MK9 and MKX days (Idk about 11 cause she was too shit to pick up), I used roll punish jumping opponents all the time, and this time around it feels like they made it reeeaally weak. Even if you space it to whiff and get close, its recovery is super slow and you get comboed or poked before you can pressure. It's just not even worth using outside combos with how punishable and easy to react it is.

Telekick is plain useless. 21 startup frames for telekick down and 31 frames telekick up is utter trash. On top of that, their tracking is absolutely horrendous, I mean they will whiff a jumping opponent! The only time you should use raw telekick with how punishable it is, should be when they get jump-excited, and it will whiff literally the only time you should be using it! And not only that, when you try and armor punish opponents that attack you when you get up...you guessed it! It also whiffs standing normals too when they are slightly advancing. Man I miss MK9/X days when telekick was a great tool to punish jumping opponents, into air sai, into roll, into combo.

Up telekick I never use because it's even worse. It only combos from 2 of her normals stupidly enough, and 31 frames is not it. Even if you try to punish jumping opponents, it's so slow that by the moment you react, your opponent is already down and you're 47 frames in recovery lol. But then again I use Scorpion kameo that combos well with her ex roll so I never even bother spending meter on up-telekick.

Air ball is ok in combos but again the range is so bad that a lot of the time it whiffs jumping opponents when you jump-kick-react them out of it. Ex air-ball I've never used cause again it's super punishable on block, and it doesn't even combo unless you hold it. Which would would anyone ever not block that?

Maybe I'm just not that great and I can't figure out how to use her properly this time around lol. My stats on KL aren't terrible (30W-12L) and I hope I'm not being a Debbie Downer, but I'm just baffled on some of the choices they made for her. She kinda feels unfinished to me with how often her attacks whiff or get beaten by other characters. I also made a quick video with a bug I kept running into online:

There's been a lot more bugs I've run into with her online but I haven't gotten to test and record yet. I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on her.

Last edited:
Ok incoming essay on my thoughts on Mileena's gameplay. Sorry in advance.

I've been playing her online a lot, and even though I've gotten quite good, I sadly don't think Mileena is very good this time around. She's super fun to play but a lot of characters literally shut her down completely due to her poor range and few tools to get in.

First up, she's great up close with some cool mixups and I've run into some people that have no idea what's happening when I get in. But after a while she's very easy to predict. Most of her strings are overhead and after you learn that, her moves are very punishable. 12 is great but has a gap that's very easy to react, and even if you try to use a Kameo with a low for mixup, it's still super punishable on block. Baraka literally punishes my 12 before I even try to mixup after, every single time lol. Plus her fast normals are all high, and her only mid starter is 13 frames and gets shut down by many characters when the low poke wars start. I don't know many other characters' frame data, but I sure get beat with their mids every time after low pokes. Range is also not great. 4, Jumping 1 and 2 specifically are mind-boggling bad, and for a character that needs to get in she doesn't have great advancing normals.

Now when your opponent knows how to counter her normal mixups (which to my experience, it seems they are quite easy to react to) or just walk back cause her range is not great, that's where all her issues start. In a kast with so many full screen projectiles, she's just not easy to get in. Especially with characters like Kenshi, Liu Kang, Shang Tsung, Rain, they can easily just keep her away and spam projectiles. And when you try to get in with roll or telekick, you still get stumped because they're so slow and punishable. I mean ball roll gets beaten by most other special moves that keep you out, like Kenshi's push or Sub Zero's clone charge as well as slide. And if you can't get in, you're out of options as her projectile stupidly enough has the range of Kenshi's normals -.- Her ex-sai also costs 2 meters and sure it combos after, but in a game with so many normal projectiles that combo, it should absolutely not cost 2 merers. I feel like they had an idea of how they wanted her to play, but she wasn't tested enough to see if her tools to get in are strong enough. Or whether she can actually hold her own with mid-screen projectiles.

But the fun with ball roll doesn't end here. It gets beaten even by jump kicks or even normals sometimes. I will walk back to whiff my opponent's attacks and when I roll to punish, I actually get hit out of it by normals. Surely that's not how it's supposed to work right? I remember back in MK9 and MKX days (Idk about 11 cause she was too shit to pick up), I used roll punish jumping opponents all the time, and this time around it feels like they made it reeeaally weak. Even if you space it to whiff and get close, its recovery is super slow and you get comboed or poked before you can pressure. It's just not even worth using outside combos with how punishable and easy to react it is.

Telekick is plain useless. 21 startup frames for telekick down and 31 frames telekick up is utter trash. On top of that, their tracking is absolutely horrendous, I mean they will whiff a jumping opponent! The only time you should use raw telekick with how punishable it is, should be when they get jump-excited, and it will whiff literally the only time you should be using it! And not only that, when you try and armor punish opponents that attack you when you get up...you guessed it! It also whiffs standing normals too when they are slightly advancing. Man I miss MK9/X days when telekick was a great tool to punish jumping opponents, into air sai, into roll, into combo.

Up telekick I never use because it's even worse. It only combos from 2 of her normals stupidly enough, and 31 frames is not it. Even if you try to punish jumping opponents, it's so slow that by the moment you react, your opponent is already down and you're 47 frames in recovery lol. But then again I use Scorpion kameo that combos well with her ex roll so I never even bother spending meter on up-telekick.

Air ball is ok in combos but again the range is so bad that a lot of the time it whiffs jumping opponents when you jump-kick-react them out of it. Ex air-ball I've never used cause again it's super punishable on block, and it doesn't even combo unless you hold it. Which would would anyone ever not block that?

Maybe I'm just not that great and I can't figure out how to use her properly this time around lol. My stats on KL aren't terrible (30W-12L) and I hope I'm not being a Debbie Downer, but I'm just baffled on some of the choices they made for her. She kinda feels unfinished to me with how often her attacks whiff or get beaten by other characters. I also made a quick video with a bug I kept running into online:
Mileena doesn't have a single mixup. Not one. Ever. Most of her strings are not overhead. One of them has an overhead hit (12) and other than that, nothing can hit overhead and she has zero low starters.

I agree that she's not very good though... tons of top players are saying she's top 5, which is super odd considering she has absolutely none of the tools that make characters good it this game.

Her probectiles having short range is stupid. They should absolutely go full screen. Since they don't you're forced to play from a range where stupid long reaching normals like shao and baraka's mid absolutely destroy you... because mileena's neutral options are garbage.

Her only plus frame move is a high. She has no advancing mids. She has no mixups. Her projectiles are awful. She has zero stagger strings. She doesn't have safe mixup launchers. She is extemely punishable. Her optimal damage combos are way more strict than most of the cast. Ex roll as an ender sometimes stabs the wrong direction and gets you full punished. Ex down tele on wakeup sometimes just randomly wiffs and gets you full punished. That jumping attack bug is super annoying too.

Honestly just use baraka and do 21 ex df2 cyrax assist and win 95% of games.

The best characters have these tools, and Mileena has absolutely none of them:

Advancing mid strings
Safe mixups
Stagger strings
Safe launchers
Plus frame mids
Long reaching mids
Easy execution
Safe specials
Unavoidable pressure

It blows me away that they decided to give her such bad tools, but also make her so extremely punishable when the top tier characters literally dont do a single thing that you can punish on block.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Mileena doesn't have a single mixup. Not one. Ever. Most of her strings are not overhead. One of them has an overhead hit (12) and other than that, nothing can hit overhead and she has zero low starters.

I agree that she's not very good though... tons of top players are saying she's top 5, which is super odd considering she has absolutely none of the tools that make characters good it this game.

Her probectiles having short range is stupid. They should absolutely go full screen. Since they don't you're forced to play from a range where stupid long reaching normals like shao and baraka's mid absolutely destroy you... because mileena's neutral options are garbage.

Her only plus frame move is a high. She has no advancing mids. She has no mixups. Her projectiles are awful. She has zero stagger strings. She doesn't have safe mixup launchers. She is extemely punishable. Her optimal damage combos are way more strict than most of the cast. Ex roll as an ender sometimes stabs the wrong direction and gets you full punished. Ex down tele on wakeup sometimes just randomly wiffs and gets you full punished. That jumping attack bug is super annoying too.

Honestly just use baraka and do 21 ex df2 cyrax assist and win 95% of games.

The best characters have these tools, and Mileena has absolutely none of them:

Advancing mid strings
Safe mixups
Stagger strings
Safe launchers
Plus frame mids
Long reaching mids
Easy execution
Safe specials
Unavoidable pressure

It blows me away that they decided to give her such bad tools, but also make her so extremely punishable when the top tier characters literally dont do a single thing that you can punish on block.
Bro you are lost in the sauce. All the things you listed, a character doesn't need those in the game to be top tier, and some are just plain wrong.

First off, I'm pretty sure no character has a good far advancing mid in this game. They're all stubby.

She is SAFE on literally every single string that she has. Has pushback on some of them, 121+3, F242 that's also safe and puts her at perfect range for 21. Which give her amazing pressure. Sure people can mash her out of her pressure, but all she needs to do is whiff punish into a 50% combo.

Condition your opponent for the low, open them up with the overhead. Condition them to block standing, open them up with the low and enjoy devouring their health bar. Which makes her ever crazier with a Kameo like Scorpion cause he also has an overhead that combos.

She has amazing OKI with F4 that breaks every single armored get up reversal in the game except Shao's knee. Not only that, she is one of the easiest characters to play and combo with.

If she's not top 5, she is very close to it.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Bro you are lost in the sauce. All the things you listed, a character doesn't need those in the game to be top tier, and some are just plain wrong.

First off, I'm pretty sure no character has a good far advancing mid in this game. They're all stubby.

She is SAFE on literally every single string that she has. Has pushback on some of them, 121+3, F242 that's also safe and puts her at perfect range for 21. Which give her amazing pressure. Sure people can mash her out of her pressure, but all she needs to do is whiff punish into a 50% combo.

Condition your opponent for the low, open them up with the overhead. Condition them to block standing, open them up with the low and enjoy devouring their health bar. Which makes her ever crazier with a Kameo like Scorpion cause he also has an overhead that combos.

She has amazing OKI with F4 that breaks every single armored get up reversal in the game except Shao's knee. Not only that, she is one of the easiest characters to play and combo with.

I was considering switching to Ashrah or Mileena after using Baraka for a while because I feel cheap as fuck and am getting hatemail. Mileena looks much more fun but I was worried she might secretly be ass. Thanks for putting my fears to rest lol

FoughtDragon01

I notice a lot of Mileena/Scorpion online. Obviously, it's for the crazy damage, but I legit think Mileena/Lao might be the real sauce. That low hat gives her some of the most disgusting hard-to-blockables that I think exist in this game for 30-40%, and that's to say nothing of how easily it can annoy the opponent in neutral. It's like, "Go on. Jump the hat. Against Mileena. I dare you."

Last edited:

Condition them wirh the low and then hit them with the overhead? Get them blocking standing and then hit them with the low?

I don't know what game you're playing. Mileena doesn't have overhead and low starters. If you're talking about 12 1+3 or 21 1+3, those are also not mixups... they are recognizably different strings.

Obviously have never been full punished by the last hit of 12 wiffing and being full combo punishable againt baraka either.

Mileena has zero mixups. All of those tools i listed are absolutely in this game and the best characters all have a combination of them.

Easy combos is hilarious. Baraka gets like 48% from like 4 buttons. Mileena's optimal BnB with delayed air 22 into landing 12 is so much more strict than other characters its hilarious.

Delayed 122 into dash 21 roll is slightly easier, but also WAY harder than most other characters bnbs.

She's only "one of the easiest"characters to combo with if you dont do anything optimally... not to mention ex ball ender being full punishable randomly ON HIT.

It seems like you just dont really have alot of time played.

Last edited:

ItsOri

Noob
Condition them wirh the low and then hit them with the overhead? Get them blocking standing and then hit them with the low?

I don't know what game you're playing. Mileena doesn't have overhead and low starters. If you're talking about 12 1+3 or 21 1+3, those are also not mixups... they are recognizably different strings.

Obviously have never been full punished by the last hit of 12 wiffing and being full combo punishable againt baraka either.

Mileena has zero mixups. All of those tools i listed are absolutely in this game and the best characters all have a combination of them.

Easy combos is hilarious. Baraka gets like 48% from like 4 buttons. Mileena's optimal BnB with delayed air 22 into landing 12 is so much more strict than other characters its hilarious.

Delayed 122 into dash 21 roll is slightly easier, but also WAY harder than most other characters bnbs.

She's only "one of the easiest"characters to combo with if you dont do anything optimally... not to mention ex ball ender being full punishable randomly ON HIT.

False. She does have low overhead mix. F4 and sweep. (which is +2 and launches for a full combo in the corner with certain kameos) as well as 12 or 1ex low sai which also launches for full combo in the corner with certain kameos. I'm not trying to be a bitch, but you're downplaying this character and you don't quite know what you're talking about.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

The problem is not the character my friend, it’s clearly you and your understanding of her.

Mixups don’t apply to just one string with overhead or low options. She doesn’t have traditional mixups, but you still can easily condition the opponent with them. And that’s only if, however, you’re good enough to understand how Mileena is supposed to be played. Which is conditioning and whiff punishing.

Watch the Viennality tourney and Dizzy played her, he got the grand finals lol.

False. She does have low overhead mix. F4 and sweep. (which is +2 and launches for a full combo in the corner with certain kameos) as well as 12 or 1ex low sai which also launches for full combo in the corner with certain kameos. I'm not trying to be a bitch, but you're downplaying this character and you don't quite know what you're talking about.
Block low, stand up if its f4. Wow sweep mixup bro. Maybe if my sweep and f4 gave me 40% like baraka's oh and low do.

Punishable special cancels that "launch with certain kameos and only in the corner" being combared to completely safe mixup launchers is hilarious.