What's new

Mileena as DLC. How would you feel?

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Yeah I can see it becoming true.

but honestly the complaining would change to "they were NPCs, they should be on the main roster!" on MKX to "if there were fights they should be on main roster, not DLC" instead I guess
I agree. I can see that complaining happening.

But just as it was on MKX, it won't matter because it's already done.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I don't think we'll see NPC fights, no, but I wouldn't be surprised if the MK characters who will be DLC have a non-playable role in story mode cutscenes the way Fujin, Li Mei, and Sareena did in MKX. I could totally imagine Shang Tsung having a role in the story, along with -- if they're indeed DLC, and I hope they are -- Sindel and Nightwolf appearing in cameos as part of the Netherrealm Army.

RE: Mileena, for the record my guess is she's totally out this time and they are hoping she and Reptile will be hype for people next game the way Jade, Baraka, Kabal, and Noob were hype for people this game. Boon has said you sometimes want a fan favorite to sit out because absence makes the heart grow fonder.

it would really feel like they were nickel-and-diming us
They are. That's what "DLC" was conceived as -- compare: pre-DLC era expansions, based on customer feedback and desires, and not on what games companies thought they could fleece people with best.

Most of my mains have been "pre-order" or "DLC":
MKX: Goro, Jason;
IJ2: Darkseid, (Bane), (Ivy), Enchantress;
SFV: Kolin, Menat, Falke (Poison / Hugo / Gouken / T. Hawk...?)
SCVI: (Ivy), Setsuka (if Soul Calibur VI even survives that long);
KoFIII: Mr Karate
BB: Nine
KoF14: Yamazaki;
T7: Eliza, (Asuka), Geese, Anna;
MK11: Shao Kahn, (Sindel / Michael Myers? / Ash Williams...?)
Samshow: (Sieger / Amakusa / Zankuro / /Mizuki / Garia / Wan-fu...?)

So, I'd be hypocritical to, at this point, rile against the practice of adding characters that people want in the base roster. After all, I screeched from that pulpit over a decade ago, back when the DLC racketeering scam kicked off, and no one listened then... And it's far too late now to change anything v_v

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I mean I already expected it.

How else are you going to sell the KP outside of guest characters? Need more fire power than Shang, and the Cyborgs plus Rain are not happening.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
It makes sense. Dlc are supposed to be popular. Sfv made sagat dlc and Tekken made Julia dlc. I don’t see a problem with it.
you nailed ! if two of the greatest fighting game franchises ever created , just had no shame to put iconic characters as DLC, you can't expect less from MK .... ;)

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
See, this is how I feel on the matter.

I respect everyone's opinion but I honestly just feel like it's a bit cheap to include them like that.
Me
It's already been mentioned, but I'd like to emphasize that I feel Mileena being relegated to DLC would leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

There's no doubting Mileena's popularity, and if she is put in as DLC, I think even the general public would see this as a scummy move done in order to take advantage of fans of the series. I just can't defend these kind of predatory practices. I know they need to sell, but DLC should really be reserved for characters that are popular, but just not big enough to make the roster like Sindel, Nightwolf, Fujin, etc. I mean, can you imagine the reaction if Raiden or Sub-Zero was put in as DLC right after launch? I just wonder where the line is drawn between characters just not making the cut and companies purposefully holding back.
Mileena is Side charcter cage and raiden are full on main charcters. She had pretty stand pat death in MK 10.

LeoMK29

Noob
Idgi people are too dramatic. If she’s not in the base roster put her in as DLC and get my money. Idgaf if it’s a money grab. At the end of the day you are getting something in return and increasing the likelihood of getting another game in the future.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I’m so sick of people saying which characters should or should not “sit out,” simply because they’ve been in several games. Maybe they’ve been in several games because they’re fan fucking favorites.

Maybe Kano should “sit out.” Maybe Sonya and Johnny should “sit out” since they’ve been in every game AND have their daughter with them for two games in a row now.

I can fully understand why characters need to be shuffled around to make space for others and newcomers, but saying “so and so fan favorite should sit out so insert B-C list character can come back” is just ridiculous.

Agilaz

It has begun
I would feel robbed of my money since I would be forced to buy her for labbing/practice reasons without ever picking her otherwise.

She should just sit one out tbh

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I don't like that main fan favorites like Mileena & Shang Tsung are DLC only because I want them to be a huge part of the story. I am happy to get them in any shape or form.
I'll pay for my favorites and I can think of no one better than Mileena, Shang, Smoke, Reptile, Cyrax & Sektor to make them tons of money.

Agilaz

It has begun
I don't like that main fan favorites like Mileena & Shang Tsung are DLC only because I want them to be a huge part of the story. I am happy to get them in any shape or form.
I'll pay for my favorites and I can think of no one better than Mileena, Shang, Smoke, Reptile, Cyrax & Sektor to make them tons of money.
Except we can't have that, because I'm sure WB is going to insist on some in-game advertising in the form of guest characters.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Cetrion, how do you feel to be that girl in charge?

Cetrion, how do you feel knowing you've won Mortal Kombat before the game is even out?

Cetrion, I'm sorry but your mother is dead.

Cetrion, here's a cheque for ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS. How do you feel?

PS I'm all for Mileena as DLC. Make that $$$ NRS.

As long as she makes it in I’d be very happy. As much as I love Kitana, I love Mileena just as much if not more.

Plus, having Kitana with no Mileena feels weird in a main MK game. And before anyone brings it up, get that 3D shit out of here.
Well I’m bringing it up anyway, when they were alone in DA/Deception it didn’t feel weird at all....and it actually gave Mileena some character development (thank god)

I don't think we'll see NPC fights, no, but I wouldn't be surprised if the MK characters who will be DLC have a non-playable role in story mode cutscenes the way Fujin, Li Mei, and Sareena did in MKX. I could totally imagine Shang Tsung having a role in the story, along with -- if they're indeed DLC, and I hope they are -- Sindel and Nightwolf appearing in cameos as part of the Netherrealm Army.

RE: Mileena, for the record my guess is she's totally out this time and they are hoping she and Reptile will be hype for people next game the way Jade, Baraka, Kabal, and Noob were hype for people this game. Boon has said you sometimes want a fan favorite to sit out because absence makes the heart grow fonder.
I don't think we'll see NPC fights
We can't have NPC fights. We can't have NPC characters full stop. The fanbase is both ill-informed and toxic. They basically started screaming that Sindel, Baraka and Rain should have been in MKX because they "were nearly finished", despite not having variations, voice actors, X-rays, fatalities, brutalities, intro/outro animations, etc.

(I know you already know this Imperatrix, just pointing it out for people who don't)

It's just another example of the community imploding in on itself and not allowing the canon to expand beyond the playable roster because of incessant screeching. It's sad and disappointing thinking about how much more inclusive the stories could be if people weren't so entitled and demanding.

I mean I would buy her anyway but I’d be really annoyed that they made me pay for an MKX character that I feel should’ve been on the base roster.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
My only problem with her being DLC is that her appearence on Story Mode is unlikely (yes I know about Tanya and Bo'). I'd like to see her story unfolds with Kitana and Jade.
Even if Mileena returned in the story mode, why would you expect her story to involve Kitana or Jade in any way...?

Especially re: Kitana, Mileena and Kitana have almost nothing to do with one another in the new timeline. They met once for five minutes before Mileena became queen of Outworld while Kitana died and became queen of the Netherrealm. There's really no good story reason for them to interact at all, given the direction MK11's story is heading. Since "past Jade" hangs out with Kotal, she could at least run into Mileena in Outworld, though their relationship would have to start completely from scratch.

I'd much rather see Mileena interact with Kotal Kahn, Shao Kahn, Shang Tsung, Reiko, Goro, Rain, or even Baraka. She already knows these characters and has consequential relationships with them, which are ripe for being explored and developed in much more detail.