What's new

Midtier Mayhem Episode 2.5 - Tournament Preperation, Player Play Styles, Real Man's Man of the week!

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
So like, you pick an all around character?

Like a Liu Kang or a Batman?
Ha! Good call, I'm specifically learning both of those!

I originally picked up Kitana and Kano in MK9 while learning the game. Been picking up Liu Kang and Raiden for fun.

I've been a Hawkgirl main in injustice pretty much since the second patch. I've been trying to learn Batman for matchups and Zatanna for fun. Plus I love her in the comics and she is the oppostie of my normal characters. Like you gentlemen said in the podcast, I get super predictable so I'm trying to see how the other half lives.

Hruza Da Bruza

Must Mash Harder!!!!!
When it comes it play-style I have always played Characters that I can Rushdown and have quick safe strings. Basically (much like Jimmy) frustrate people into pushing buttons when they shouldn't.

MK9: Liu Kang
Injustice: Nightwing
SSF4: Juri (Ultra 1 FTW)

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
When it comes to the ASUS experience and adapting to offline play, I try to practice my BnBs and set-ups offline in training mode a few times a week. I play primarily online, but it never hurts to hit the lab and run through things for offline events.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Aboooooooot

I love the manly man's hymn.

I imagine so many beards and hairy chests.

Jimmypotato thanks for the shout out lol. GA's is very manly man. Hawkgirl is very manly too. She's full of chest hair.

Last edited:

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Aboooooooot

I love the manly man's hymn.

I imagine so many beards and hairy chests.

Jimmypotato thanks for the shout out lol. GA's is very manly man. Hawkgirl is very manly too. She's full of chest hair.
There was a better shout out on the lost episode lol.

There's a manly man's hymn?? lol i should really listen to this!!!

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Thanks for the advice about how to prepare for Tournaments besides just practicing at the game. I promise I've thought about every scenario you guys have given before. Haven't gotten the chance to attend one just yet.

Funny podcast though. Jimmy sounds a little like Seth Rogan IMO and that humors me.

My play style is sit back and be patient. Read the opponent, and punish accordingly. I try to hold off on my full potential until I have them downloaded. Example being I played Sub-Zero in MK9, and Joker in IGAU. Both play similar. I have to make smart reads, and take risk. Same with my Guile in SF4. Sit back and wait on you while throwing sonic booms. Turtle patience is what I call it lol.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Thanks for the advice about how to prepare for Tournaments besides just practicing at the game. I promise I've thought about every scenario you guys have given before. Haven't gotten the chance to attend one just yet.

Funny podcast though. Jimmy sounds a little like Seth Rogan IMO and that humors me.

My play style is sit back and be patient. Read the opponent, and punish accordingly. I try to hold off on my full potential until I have them downloaded. Example being I played Sub-Zero in MK9, and Joker in IGAU. Both play similar. I have to make smart reads, and take risk. Same with my Guile in SF4. Sit back and wait on you while throwing sonic booms. Turtle patience is what I call it lol.
It's funny cause I would consider my playstyle the exact opposite. I like to get in and either use my long range normals or my advantage strings and gauge what you do AFTER my offense. I then adjust my offense around your ability to escape/what you do after I do certain things.

For instance, if I do a check with f213~escrima spark cancel dash forward and notice you are poking me out of it everytime I am going to start throwing out f213~ex flipkick meter burn to blow up your poke.

Similar but different momentum strategies. Love it.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Ok so as promised

Chance couldn't play:
MK: Scorpion. Too risky, slow setups, no range
Injustice: Solomon Grundy. Too slow, No range, setups are gimmicky at best

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
It's funny cause I would consider my playstyle the exact opposite. I like to get in and either use my long range normals or my advantage strings and gauge what you do AFTER my offense. I then adjust my offense around your ability to escape/what you do after I do certain things.

For instance, if I do a check with f213~escrima spark cancel dash forward and notice you are poking me out of it everytime I am going to start throwing out f213~ex flipkick meter burn to blow up your poke.

Similar but different momentum strategies. Love it.
If you blew up my d1 I'd probably block, and let the string finish then throw out some teeth followed be a MB F3. Joker gimmicks lol
I get it! lol. That gets into theory fighting at that point. I guess it's sort similar. You have to feel the opponent out. Adjust fast, and don't get frustrated

You guys should definitely keep doing this podcast though. I wish there was something like this back in May 2011 when I first joined TYM because I would have made me understand MK a lot faster. There's always lurkers, or people that are on the site but wont post because of the fear that an older / experienced player will talk down on them because of their inexperience.

I think frame data should be one of the topics in the next podcast. A lot of the mid tier members don't fully understand it.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I didn't listen to any of yours until now (no offense, I didn't have headphones) but this one was really good. By the way is that William Regal's super old theme song? lolllll good call!

I guess I'd have to be a whiff punisher/run away-er space control, because I hate trying to attack someone who's blocking. That's why I love Grundy, I only have to successfully punish twice or so and I can kill

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
If you blew up my d1 I'd probably block, and let the string finish then throw out some teeth followed be a MB F3. Joker gimmicks lol
I get it! lol. That gets into theory fighting at that point. I guess it's sort similar. You have to feel the opponent out. Adjust fast, and don't get frustrated

You guys should definitely keep doing this podcast though. I wish there was something like this back in May 2011 when I first joined TYM because I would have made me understand MK a lot faster. There's always lurkers, or people that are on the site but wont post because of the fear that an older / experienced player will talk down on them because of their inexperience.

I think frame data should be one of the topics in the next podcast. A lot of the mid tier members don't fully understand it.
That is a great Topic suggestion, thank you.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I didn't listen to any of yours until now (no offense, I didn't have headphones) but this one was really good. By the way is that William Regal's super old theme song? lolllll good call!

I guess I'd have to be a whiff punisher/run away-er space control, because I hate trying to attack someone who's blocking. That's why I love Grundy, I only have to successfully punish twice or so and I can kill
Cyrax would have been a great character for that type of style,

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Ok so as promised

Chance couldn't play:
MK: Scorpion. Too risky, slow setups, no range
Injustice: Solomon Grundy. Too slow, No range, setups are gimmicky at best
lol Agreed.

Murphy could not play:

MK: Johnny Cage - Murphy likes to think to much before he pushes his buttons
Injustice: Nightwing - Murphy likes to think to much before he pushes his buttons

;)

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
I played Lui Kang in MK and and Superman in Injustice. what would that make my style? some good rushdown, good zoning, combos that carry to the corner and a good corner game. would that make me a bully style?
Suggestion: what do you guys think about discussing how to break down match ups. i feel a lot of ppl may need some guidance. even myself at times.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I played Lui Kang in MK and and Superman in Injustice. what would that make my style? some good rushdown, good zoning, combos that carry to the corner and a good corner game. would that make me a bully style?
Suggestion: what do you guys think about discussing how to break down match ups. i feel a lot of ppl may need some guidance. even myself at times.
Sounds like an all around jack of all trades style. You like your options. While Superman is a stronger character with these things then Kang was in MK. Kang def had options from far and in close. Probably able to adapt to what your opponent is doing very well. Good style to have as you cover alot of bases in most match ups. I like the idea of talking about how to break down match ups specifically. Good shit.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
This is one hell of a topic. It is now on my short list!!!
love it.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I would peg you as all around as well. You like to have a tool for all situations (rushdown, mobility, keep away, zoning etc)