What's new

Microsoft to buy Skype for $8.5 billion

oZii

Noob
Source Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6312959.html?tag=updates;editor;all;title;3

At E3 2010, Microsoft put Kinect's video chat capabilities front and centre with a demo of Video Kinect. During that demo, connectivity between Kinect users and those using Windows Live Messenger on other devices was promised, and it now looks like there is going to be another option added--popular voice-over-IP (VoIP) service Skype.

Skype/Kinect cross-compatibility has been promised.
Microsoft today confirmed that it has reached an agreement to buy Skype for $8.5 billion (£5.2 billion). Skype is the leading provider in the consumer VoIP space, with 170 million users worldwide. Services include free standard and video calls between Skype users on home computers, the ability to call any phone number from Skype for a fee, and the ability to generate a phone number that can be reached from a standard phone.

Skype will now support the Xbox platform, including Kinect, though no time frame has been outlined as to when the new services will become available. Microsoft also said it would connect Skype users with its platforms and communities, such as Xbox Live.

Skype's applications currently run both on home PCs and mobile devices, and use a peer-to-peer network for voice and video traffic. The company was founded in 2003, before being bought by eBay in 2005 in a transaction that was eventually worth around $3 billion. Four years later it was mostly sold to a venture capital group called Silver Lake in a deal that valued Skype at $2.75 billion. Skype will now become Microsoft Skype Division, with its current CEO, Tony Bates, as president. Bates will report directly to Microsoft's current CEO, Steve Ballmer.

While the deal has been approved by the boards of both Skype and Microsoft, the acquisition is still subject to regulatory approval and "other customary closing conditions." Microsoft says it hopes all such clearances should be granted during the course of 2011

oZii

Noob
Excellent Excellent news for Microsoft. Moving forward this will add alot of flexibility in the 360 thats already there and into their next console. Just my opinion of the deal. I am not really a fanboy for 360 I just have more consumer loyalty. I just never bought a PS3 exclusives are kind of a thing of the past. So for me personally I really like this news.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Skype earned $890 million in a recent year, can't remember if it was last year or another year... but they earned that much and actually loss like $6.9 million that year. Definitely a good time to sell, lol.