What's new

MFSlayer asks a question we can all appreciate

In the fighting game scene, the lore that draws us in can be many things including the games, the players, rivalries that begin. At the end of the day or even as years pass, if you ask who your favorite player is, who would that be?

That's the very question that MFSlayer asked his community... who would you say?

Scott Naylor

Comments

I started following the competitive scene in 2015, during a time where I was in a dark place mentally and MKX was one of the few bright spots in my life. Making friends who played the game seriously led to watching tournaments and I worked up the courage to go to KIT 2016. It was one of the best decisions I've made, and while I was there I played casuals with every big name I could, and most of them were amazingly nice and willing to help a noob learn the game.

Among many greats, I count Michaelangelo, Slayer, Scar, KillerXinok, and Kitana Prime as personal favorites. All are incredibly talented and fun to watch, but also just great to play with and talk to. KP in particular brings his A-Game to the mic and gets hype af as a spectator, and is a great asset to the community.

If we are talking just MK and not all fighting games then REO is the greatest of all time.

Nobody I know has won a MK2 tournament, a UMK3 tournament and MK9 tournament in the same weekend. REO did that at an NEC I believe in 2012.

When it comes to in my opinion the best MK games then I think REO is the most accomplished and you can tell he was genuinely a MK fan.

Anyway, what happened tp Reo?
REO is still around. I talk and play Resident Evil Outbreak with him occasionally. He does not play Mortal Kombat 1, though.

Should Justin Wong and Sonic be on Mount Rushmore over players such as Arslan Ash, Knee, Leffen, Sako, Tokido, etc.?

You can tell Slayer only plays Mortal Kombat. LOL.

REO is still around. I talk and play Resident Evil Outbreak with him occasionally. He does not play Mortal Kombat 1, though.

Should Justin Wong and Sonic be on Mount Rushmore over players such as Arslan Ash, Knee, Leffen, Sako, Tokido, etc.?

Yall play Outbreak? Whaaaat. I'm a huge Resi fan. This is great news. Stream it?

Yes, SonicFox and Justin Wong absolutely should be on the Mount Rushmore of Fighting Games. What are you even on about? lol

What are you even on about? lol
Tournament results, focus on fighting games that players actually play, no favoritism to American players and games, etc.

If you want to build a statue of Sonic Fox instead of Tokido, you know very little, if anything at all, about the history of fighting games.

Tournament results, focus on fighting games that players actually play, no favoritism to American players and games, etc.

If you want to build a statue of Sonic Fox instead of Tokido, you know very little, if anything at all, about the history of fighting games.
And if you don’t think SonicFox and Justin Wong belong on the Mt Rushmore of FG’s, you know very little, if anything at all, about the history of fighting games.

¯\(ツ)

Also, no one said they wanted to build a statue of SF instead of Tokido. You just invented that out of thin air

Also, no one said they wanted to build a statue of SF instead of Tokido. You just invented that out of thin air
Right.

I have been told that Sonic Fox has already been engraved on Mount Rushmore.

Perhaps an UMK3 player such as yourself ought to think outside the box for the first time ever.

Whats up, Dave!

He doesn't just play MK. He definitely indulges in FGC history.

But on topic. I'd break this rule and say JWong for me. Without that I don't think TYM would have existed. It's what drove me to push the scene towards offline competition after Evo 09.

Also people don't realize REO had been trying to quit MK since MKvsDC. Lol

I'd say in the NRS scene, it's always been REO for me. Tell him I said what's up. I miss the hell out of a lot of you and I hate I won't see yall at the next event. His fighting game brain was always too brilliant to retire imo

Right.

I have been told that Sonic Fox has already been engraved on Mount Rushmore.

Perhaps an UMK3 player such as yourself ought to think outside the box for the first time ever.
I’m gonna be charitable and say that I think you just got caught making assumptions, instead of purposely making a strawman argument.

But just in case, I’ll break it down for you.

Believe it or not, both Tokido AND SonicFox can be on the Mt Rushmore of fighting games. Shocker I know

More like Detroit's everything.

Dude was a top Shang & Kabal, even a top Ermac.

When I read idiots say shit like "every player played the character the same" & "Erik Warda & REO played the same" in a thread a few months ago, doesn't know what fuck they're talking about & Detroit is a good example of that. Detroit has his own playstyle as he didn't play Shang like Cowboy, he didn't play Kabal like REO or play Ermac like Seven, Detroit played those characters so differently with a such a rawness & aggressiveness that you didn't really see from any other player & have that level of success in that era & time (except for maybe xMyGodx) but what he has is he can play 3 drastically different characters at such a high level. Also his MK9 & UMK3 playstyle is exactly the same.
Remember when he got on Digimon's stream for the Kabal open challenge and knocked over 50+ people in a row as easily as pouring a glass of milk?
And his Ermac was completely unhinged. No other Ermac player I remember utilized the weirdness of the B34 string like he did.

Moment I feel must be remembered: the US VS Canada 8V8 at Toryuken 2012 when Insuperable almost defeated Canada single-handedly with Quan Chi and the Rune Trap.

Remember when he got on Digimon's stream for the Kabal open challenge and knocked over 50+ people in a row as easily as pouring a glass of milk?
And his Ermac was completely unhinged. No other Ermac player I remember utilized the weirdness of the B34 string like he did.
He is the most underrated Ermac like he was going shit that C88 Canefield, BigD & even Seven weren't doing & he made it look so easy.

Moment I feel must be remembered: the US VS Canada 8V8 at Toryuken 2012 when Insuperable almost defeated Canada single-handedly with Quan Chi and the Rune Trap.
Toryuken...I was supposed to go every year during MK9 & MKX but my Aunt and/or traffic fucked me over every single year...