What's new

Mercy should even health bars?

freerf245

11 11 11 11
How is it not an insult? You are basically saying “You are so bad that I can give you extra health and still beat you.”

trufenix

bye felicia
Down down down is literally teabagging. They could have made the input for it forward back foward, or any other three directionals. That they chose down down down indicates that using Mercy during a competitive minded match is a form of boast/taunt, as you prepare to kick their ass a third time.
It's also the exact same input as mercy in UMK3 which predates tapping down on the controller like a monkey pleasing itself to "teabag" by about 20 years.

Resistible

MK fan since '92
I'm sure my age is going to show with this, but when did ducking in front of a standing opponent become teabagging, I always thought of it as something you did after killing an opponent in a first person shooter or MMO. Makes more sense, person is laying on their back, stand over their head, teabag. Try teabagging someone standing, you have to find someway to comfortably get on their shoulders and bronco buster

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
I'm sure my age is going to show with this, but when did ducking in front of a standing opponent become teabagging, I always thought of it as something you did after killing an opponent in a first person shooter or MMO. Makes more sense, person is laying on their back, stand over their head, teabag. Try teabagging someone standing, you have to find someway to comfortably get on their shoulders and bronco buster
1800 actually. When the middle finger was invented as a means of displaying contempt or disrespect towards someone. It has literally always meant "$#%& You" but it doesn't literally mean you are trying to do so. I get where you two are coming from, that the Mercy body language isn't tea bagging but seriously...

It's teabagging.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
1800 actually. When the middle finger was invented as a means of displaying contempt or disrespect towards someone. It has literally always meant "$#%& You" but it doesn't literally mean you are trying to do so. I get where you two are coming from, that the Mercy body language isn't tea bagging but seriously...

It's teabagging.
I need to reinforce this, though.
If your opponent crouching repeatedly upsets you.
Or if losing in a game upsets you, to begin with.
Combat games are not for you, right?

I mean, losing a lot is part of the genre. People who have very high winrates are either progamers who go to Evo and make money with these games, or they pick their fights and avoid fighting people who could beat them.

MalevolentFix

I need to reinforce this, though.
If your opponent crouching repeatedly upsets you.
Or if losing in a game upsets you, to begin with.
Combat games are not for you, right?

I mean, losing a lot is part of the genre. People who have very high winrates are either progamers who go to Evo and make money with these games, or they pick their fights and avoid fighting people who could beat them.
Oh I'm not bothered by teabagging. Never have been. If I'm frustrated at a loss it's with myself not my opponent. Fighting games are humbling, mortal kombat especially so, and I feel like if the bobbing of a body up and down is what pisses you off (It isn't, it was the minutes you spent getting bodied around a stage and feeling like you can't fight back) you weren't paying attention and deserved the loss.

That being said.

You still have to teabag to do a Mercy and it's intentional.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Oh I'm not bothered by teabagging. Never have been. If I'm frustrated at a loss it's with myself not my opponent. Fighting games are humbling, mortal kombat especially so, and I feel like if the bobbing of a body up and down is what pisses you off (It isn't, it was the minutes you spent getting bodied around a stage and feeling like you can't fight back) you weren't paying attention and deserved the loss.

That being said.

You still have to teabag to do a Mercy and it's intentional.
Yeah didn't mean you in particular just people in general.
I think the same way. If someone beats me I'll try to see what I can do differently to try and win and if I lose repeatedly I'll admire the person.
Even if they are playing Scorpion or Liu and are being carried hard by superior damage and tools.

You don't lose to characters, you lose to people.

MalevolentFix

Yeah didn't mean you in particular just people in general.
I think the same way. If someone beats me I'll try to see what I can do differently to try and win and if I lose repeatedly I'll admire the person.
Even if they are playing Scorpion or Liu and are being carried hard by superior damage and tools.

You don't lose to characters, you lose to people.
Agreed.

However, everyone gets salty sometimes. It happens to everyone. We do not play competitive fighting games, because we are not competitive. There are just different situations that cause it for different people. I'm trying to learn someone I'm not comfortable/familiar with yet and you decide you're going to wash me with your main, dip dip potato chip extra long before you mercy and then wash me a third time and make me sit through your fatality? I'm probably picking Cassie or Jacqui next round with no intentions of "Just having fun". Lmao In this situation it would be the making me sit through your fatal that would make me roll my eyes and sigh.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Agreed.

However, everyone gets salty sometimes. It happens to everyone. We do not play competitive fighting games, because we are not competitive. There are just different situations that cause it for different people. I'm trying to learn someone I'm not comfortable/familiar with yet and you decide you're going to wash me with your main, dip dip potato chip extra long before you mercy and then wash me a third time and make me sit through your fatality? I'm probably picking Cassie or Jacqui next round with no intentions of "Just having fun". Lmao In this situation it would be the making me sit through your fatal that would make me roll my eyes and sigh.
I think that's where you need to level up then. You either decide to try to play a character you aren't so strong with to learn and then get ready to get dunked, or you pick your main and you tryhard. I have done both in many games, though in recent years I've mostly been a loyalist in all my games and season my bad matchups with experience.
If you walk into the salt people pave your path to victory with, you'll inevitably slip. You can teabag me fatality me or in SC6 kick my character after the round all you like, I'll be doing my part and trying to learn.
There is nothing you can do in a fighting game that will make me upset.
I'm here to have fun, whether you want me to or not.
:D

MalevolentFix

I think that's where you need to level up then. You either decide to try to play a character you aren't so strong with to learn and then get ready to get dunked, or you pick your main and you tryhard. I have done both in many games, though in recent years I've mostly been a loyalist in all my games and season my bad matchups with experience.
If you walk into the salt people pave your path to victory with, you'll inevitably slip. You can teabag me fatality me or in SC6 kick my character after the round all you like, I'll be doing my part and trying to learn.
There is nothing you can do in a fighting game that will make me upset.
I'm here to have fun, whether you want me to or not.
:D
I don't believe you. :p No offense. What you're saying sounds great, and as I said most of the time I don't get salted at fighting games. I play them for the satisfaction of growing as a player as well.

But everyone has their moments. Whether you're not being 100% honest here, or you haven't found that situation that makes your body heat up a little and your pulse quicken, there exists in the infinite possible scenarios that can go down in fighting games one where you get salty. Someone slinging trash on Mic. Maybe you're at a local and some asshat is being the biggest loudest dick on the face of the planet about blasting you in pools and sending you to loser's. There is a situation that gets to everyone.

qspec

Noob
^ This is wise beyond all comprehension though.
4Chan users would be very proud of you now. Rejoice.
Calling a dumb thing dumb is hardly controversial.

Your claim is basically that nothing can be disrespectful due to the nature of the game. Take that to the extreme cases. Does someone get to stand up and piss on you after winning or would that be disrespectful? Because you apparently don't think it would be...

I think OPs request is asinine, but the notion that some how sportsmanship and respect mean nothing (especially in a tournament setting) due exclusive to the kind of game this is... man... that's all kinds of stupid.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I don't believe you. :p No offense. What you're saying sounds great, and as I said most of the time I don't get salted at fighting games. I play them for the satisfaction of growing as a player as well.

But everyone has their moments. Whether you're not being 100% honest here, or you haven't found that situation that makes your body heat up a little and your pulse quicken, there exists in the infinite possible scenarios that can go down in fighting games one where you get salty. Someone slinging trash on Mic. Maybe you're at a local and some asshat is being the biggest loudest dick on the face of the planet about blasting you in pools and sending you to loser's. There is a situation that gets to everyone.
You don't have to believe me.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Does someone get to stand up and piss on you after winning or would that be disrespectful? Because you apparently don't think it would be...
That's not in the game. That's not repeated crouching or a taunt button.

qspec

Noob
The point stands. Don't be obtuse.

Ultimately I agree with you that if taunts, etc. really piss someone off, then maybe gaming isn't the right hobby for them.

But the idea that sportsmanship just simply doesn't exist is asinine.

Down down down is literally teabagging. They could have made the input for it forward back foward, or any other three directionals. That they chose down down down indicates that using Mercy during a competitive minded match is a form of boast/taunt, as you prepare to kick their ass a third time.
This was the exact input from MK3 expect you held the RUN button

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
The point stands. Don't be obtuse.

Ultimately I agree with you that if taunts, etc. really piss someone off, then maybe gaming isn't the right hobby for them.

But the idea that sportsmanship just simply doesn't exist is asinine.
Nobody said it doesn't exist.
There have been plenty of cases of sportsmanship in the FGC. And examples to the contrary, too.

People readily like to get "offended" but you know the old saying.
Offence is taken, not given.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Thing is though... nobody would do it in the final match of a tournament. Imagine you just won EVO and then you go like "here have mercy my friend"... who would do that? :)

Sure it would be hype but it would be stupid too.
SonicFox would surely do that, just to troll.