Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Krushing Blow

Votes: 14 19.4%

• Total voters

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
My three were
Breakaway / obvious reasons

Fatal blow / i just dont like it coupled with number 3 . Also that it comes as a reward for being beaten in that round , why not just give each player one from the start and thats it one and done, let the noobs spunk it away if they wish

Krushing blow / coupled with number two the fights become immersion breaking with so many cutscenes , i want to be the one hitting them not watching a damn movie!

Shouts outs to the crazy ass input buffer system which boggles my mind completely

I wanted to also vote for flawless block. it's an interesting mechanic in practice but it's done better in other games. i feel it's mostly hampered by block button. like i would rather 3rd strike parry than flawless block. while breakaways are trash, there are games that have handled "break" style mechanics appropriately like guilty gear with burst for example. even injustice had a better break system. delayed wakeup isn't bad it's just that mk11 had delayed wakeup plus issues with the design of mk11 plus like a million other ways to wakeup.
I only voted for roll escapes. The rest are fine in my humble opinion.

But hops ought to be better.
fatal blows are not fine dave. why do you always have to downplay the problems of the game?

Last edited:

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
I voted for the get up options.

I don't hate the get up options, I do feel like there's a lot of them though and maybe on less option wouldn't hurt (forward roll maybe)

Other stuff is fine. I would rather then remove breakaways entirely. I'm not a huge fan of a combo breaking mechanic, except for KIs as it was kinda fun, but I rather you/me get punished for making a mistake. That being said I don't hate the one in this game. I think KBs are fun IMO fatal blows are fine and feel like most people that don't like them are mad that they lost. So what they take 30% of your health, if you're mopping the other opponent with a huge life lead, like some people like to phrase it, getting hit by a fatal blow isn't your problem and sometimes the better player loses to someone not quite on their level. It happens all the time in other sports. So just apply your salt to some fucking french fries are something.

I voted Fatal Blow and Breakaway.

Fatal Blow is an absurd mechanism. I've lost and won too many rounds that I should have won or lost because of it. I would have no problems with it if it actually had an impact on the ressources of the player. The move does unbreakable 30% with armor and if you miss it you can try again in a few seconds again. Yes they are very minus on block for most characters but there is so much blockpush on some fatal blows it can be difficult for some characters to punish it.
A simple solution would be that you have one attempt per round or match, or make it so using your Fatal Blow depletes the defensive meter (it is an armored move after all). So in case of a whiffed or blocked Fatal Blow the opponent can guarantee a full punish without any breakaway from the opponent.

Breakaway : I don't like this mechanism. With the breakaway you can be punished for doing the exact thing you are supposed to do in a fighting game. I'm a Skarlet player and she can be breakaway punished with one of her only juggling bnb (212 212 44 ender) at the beginning of the second 212 and at the first hit of the 44. Yes, some people might say that I must read the breakaway but... why ? I opened my opponent, I should be rewarded without the threat of being punished for it.
I'm a player that likes playing with the clock and the current meter mechanism makes it that players that play like me or just characters that have more trouble to open opponents are quite penalised because you don't necessarily have the time to take advantage of the situation because the breakaway can already be back next time you'll open the opponent.
Also I can't count how many times I wasted all my defensive meter because I got hit by a projectile while jumping or just a move that launches into air before knocking down because I wanted to crouch block after a quick getup. I'm pretty sure it happens to quite a lot of people here.

Even if I didn't voted for it, I don't like some Krushing Blows. Either the risk/reward is too favorable to a character (for exemple any fast and safe string that KB launches or kounter/punish that leads to big damage like LK's f43u3) or is just too risky for a miserable reward (Skarlet b2 KB etc.). But the dumbest thing about Krushing Blows are KB throws. They are ridiculous and it is dumb that the game punishes you for trying to tech. It would have been better to have KB throws with less damage (19 or 20% seems enough) or another requirement, maybe not teching a throw a few times in a row. And if you keep the current requirement make it so whiffed throws disable the KB on the next throw.

Last edited:

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
or make it so using your Fatal Blow depletes the defensive meter (it is an armored move after all). So in case of a whiffed or blocked Fatal Blow the opponent can guarantee a full punish without any breakaway from the opponent.
That's an interesting idea actually. I would propose maybe 1 of each bar or just one defensive bar because I don't hate the fact that it comes back. I would want the player with the life deficit be rewarded for good offense/defense while down like that but not get a free breaker for getting punished for not connecting with the move.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I think some mechanics need to be modified a bit (Grab KBs doing 310 is ridiculous and should be less IMO)
But overall, I like the variety they bring and the situations they create.

A word about Fatal blows:
I may have beaten my opponent down to a pulp but the fact that he now has a fatal blow means I have to modify my approach because this is now a new threat.
Does it suck if the opponent steals a round with a FB? Sure but he can only use it once and if you are better than him anyway, it shouldnt make a big difference.
If hes the type to constantly press buttons, then you can be pretty confident that the FB will likely come out and so you can try to bait it.

People hate the FB because they dont want to adapt their strategy when it gets in play. They want to stick with their basic pattern that has gotten them this far and dont want to change. Thats not on the FB's fault, thats on you.

Breakaways:
As for breakaways, Im not a huge fan but I dont dislike them because when you read the breakaway, the other person is fucked. They cant wake up in anyway, they have to continue blocking for your pressure and now they have no meter. The ONLY chance they have is to time the breakaway properly and hope that you dont read it. And their are times people are more susceptible to breakaway than others. These are patterns, you as the player, have to figure out to better read them.

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
My Votes and the brief reasons why.

Breakaway: Since they limit the juggle game, players will try to work harder to launch their opponent, but only for it to be denied by a breakaway. The recovery time in the breakaway is usually faster too which means that it barely resets to neutral. Of course I've seen some characters cash out high damage before launching the opponent in the air. The regular combo breakers would have been fine.

Fatal Blow: I do believe fighting games need a comeback mechanic, but giving one that requires no commitment is not healthy for the meta. The fact that its only accessible below a health threshold doesn't compensate for how ridiculous they can get.

Krushing Blow: The conditions are generally not practical. The best ones are based on counter hits. In fact I've wanted the krushing blow properties that involve launching to be in the moves by default (but also removing the absurd damage to begin with). If you give all the KB moves their launcher properties without meeting the conditions, you'll get some interesting combos for alot of characters and it will be fun. Watching matches to me get jarring because its a sudden slow down and cut to zoom into the xray or attack that occurs frequently which is the krushing blow animation. Even slower paced games haven't felt that way to me.

Last edited:
A word about Fatal blows:
I may have beaten my opponent down to a pulp but the fact that he now has a fatal blow means I have to modify my approach because this is now a new threat.
Does it suck if the opponent steals a round with a FB? Sure but he can only use it once and if you are better than him anyway, it shouldnt make a big difference.
If hes the type to constantly press buttons, then you can be pretty confident that the FB will likely come out and so you can try to bait it.

People hate the FB because they dont want to adapt their strategy when it gets in play. They want to stick with their basic pattern that has gotten them this far and dont want to change. Thats not on the FB's fault, thats on you.
I can only speak for myself of course, but it's not about having to adapt my strategy, if anything I wish FB were more personalized to each character (think IJ traits) instead of it just being flat damage across the board.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I can only speak for myself of course, but it's not about having to adapt my strategy, if anything I wish FB were more personalized to each character (think IJ traits) instead of it just being flat damage across the board.
Never played IJ but I find them pretty personalized. Some of them are activated in the air. Some are full screen, others mid, others close. Some hit once, while others have double or more hits, slight variations in startup.
How was it in IJ?

If it's not about strategy change, the main reason you dislike them is because you feel there's a lack of personnalisation in them?

Never played IJ but I find them pretty personalized. Some of them are activated in the air. Some are full screen, others mid, others close. Some hit once, while others have double or more hits, slight variations in startup.
How was it in IJ?

If it's not about strategy change, the main reason you dislike them is because you feel there's a lack of personnalisation in them?
Even though the activation conditions of FB vary between characters, to me they still all just seem like a cinematic with a flat amount of damage.

Injustices traits were like mini comeback mechanics personalized to the characters.
For example it might just buff their damage, give access to new moves or change the properties for existing moves for a limited time. You can skim through this link for a better idea.

While i don't think MK had to adopt that exactly, i think it could've borrowed from it a little more. e.g. trade out some damage for other things, like Shang Tsung does a little less damage but also steals a little health etc.. something more creative and fun gameplay wise.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
fatal blows are not fine dave. why do you always have to downplay the problems of the game?
There is nothing to downplay because I play other fighting games that also have powerful comeback mechanics such as Street Fighter 5's V-Triggers and Critical Arts and Tekken 7's Rage Arts and Rage Drives.

Besides, when people complain about fatal blows, they are referring to certain types of fatal blows that "freeze" you in the neutral like D'Vorah's, Geras's, Kitana's, etc. There is a distinction between these fatal blows and the ones that are mostly used in combos like Cetrion's, Jacqui's, Noob's, etc.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Even though the activation conditions of FB vary between characters, to me they still all just seem like a cinematic with a flat amount of damage.

Injustices traits were like mini comeback mechanics personalized to the characters.
For example it might just buff their damage, give access to new moves or change the properties for existing moves for a limited time. You can skim through this link for a better idea.

While i don't think MK had to adopt that exactly, i think it could've borrowed from it a little more. e.g. trade out some damage for other things, like Shang Tsung does a little less damage but also steals a little health etc.. something more creative and fun gameplay wise.
Could be interesting but I guess they didnt want to do the same thing as IJ or else people would just compare them and lump them together

There is nothing to downplay because I play other fighting games that also have powerful comeback mechanics such as Street Fighter 5's V-Triggers and Critical Arts and Tekken 7's Rage Arts and Rage Drives.

Besides, when people complain about fatal blows, they are referring to certain types of fatal blows that "freeze" you in the neutral like D'Vorah's, Geras's, Kitana's, etc. There is a distinction between these fatal blows and the ones that are mostly used in combos like Cetrion's, Jacqui's, Noob's, etc.
i play those games too and tekken 7's rage arts, which fatal blows are clearly very much like, are way more balanced. i get that this is mk and everyone has some very unique fatal blow animation but it would probably help the game if they were homogenized to just be some close range armored normal that is super unsafe on block