Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Getup - Roll Escape

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Hop

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Krushing Blow

Votes: 14 19.4%

• Total voters
Pick the 3 mechanics you feel either detract from gameplay or missed the opportunity to enhance gameplay.

I'd also be interested in hearing what people feel is their most favorite mechanic!

Last edited:

Zviko

Noob
Voted for Breakaway and Fatal Blow although all I hate about FB is some can throw it out randomly without much risk. They have to be even more unsafe imo. Krushing Blows are great but I'd definitely get rid of throw KBs.

Flawless block is the best by far imo. Not essential but it helps and can make matches hype af. I hope they keep it for the future games, even Injustice.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Fatal blows don’t need an explanation. They suck.
Roll escapes because a wakeup this cheap shouldn’t also potentially be the most rewarding, if they took out the forward roll the WU system would be so much more tolerable.
Breakaway because its input sucks donkey bollocks. I mean, seriously? The input just had to happen to be the most common input in the game period? That and the fact that it lets you only arbitrarily escape launches, why not just break everything? Believe it or not it’d actually benefit characters whose only launchers are KBs.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Breakaway: still confuses me why the game's anti-combo mechanic was made to only combat juggles when certain characters have basically no juggles

Fatal Blow: much better after the armor nerf, but I still feel there should be more risk to that much reward

Hop: they should go over every single poke in this game, including D1s. Makes no sense right now that they don't properly beat the main thing they were clearly designed to beat

SoapBar

My pussy, my rules
The amount of PRO PLAYERS WHO REGULARLY PLACE TOP 8 that I see getting an accidental breakaway is equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking. They crouch block a low-hitting special (Sub-Zero's be getting away with murder because of this and they know it)a few frames too late and lose all their defensive meter just like that.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
My favorite mechanic by far is the invincible Up 3

i think fatal blows themselves are a good idea, but I hate that it allows a huge comeback mechanic that can sort of feel unfair. If it were up to me, I’d make them available at the beginning of the match with 3 attempts the entire game but I know that’s an unpopular opinion

i think the most missed opportunity is going to be the breakaway — i didn’t like it in injustice and I don’t like it here

I really only hate breakaway. With Scorpion I get into the mindgame of either having to cut my combo short, have wasted a bar already and get no damage and maybe the guy doesn't even break out, or just continuing the combo and get punished if they break out.

I don't know what the problem was with previous breaker systems that just reset you to neutral and that's it.

I also dislike fatal blow more than I did before. In my opinion it was a nice callout for wakeup attacks and jumpins but now you can't use it for that anymore in many situations because of the delayed armor. The only thing I disliked about them was obviously the length breaking the flow of combat and the fucking pushback, making something that should be death of block incredibly hard to punish in many instances and how blocked/whiffed fb's just come back after a while.

I'm alright with all the other shit and think short hop is underrated. Go play something like Scorpion or any other character without OH/Low mixups and tell me how you open people up in this game without using it.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Voted for FB, Wake Up Attack and Hop.
  • FB, for me, is not a fun mechanic at all. I think it needs a massive rework. My idea would be to have it do almost no damage if done raw, but if done during a combo it does the damage it does now and maybe even reduces scaling. Having supers is cool, but these do SOOO much damage and you can even wake up with them.. it is not only a frustrating way to loose the fight but it is also anti-hype. I'm not a designer, but my tweak I just dreamed up keeps FB as a cool thing to make combos awesome, but removes all the raw and wakeup and gap FB BS that just sucks. I think FB as a idea is great, supers are cool, but they need some kind of major rework.
  • Wake Up Attacks, imo, need to be looked at pretty hard. In some ways the game punishes you for playing better than your opponent. If they are on the ground it can technically not be your turn. I think this was to reduce the soul crushing damage trains from MKx that made it a bit of a joke in the FGC, as it was "never your turn".. but it went to far. I think this needs a adjustment so we can actually pressure more effectively, though the high pressure characters would need nurffs.
  • Hops are a cool idea, but either the community has not worked them out very well, or they are pretty useless. McFly is the only dude I have seen actually put serious work into putting hops into his combos, and they are crazy, but not practical. If I was a designer I would get everyone together and say "what was Hop supposed to do for the players and how were they meant to use it?" and then sit down and make changes so Hop actually does that. It looks and feels like an awesome thing, but I am not sure it is really working at all. It "could" be no one knows how to use them correctly yet, and they work fine. Like Flawless Block felt pretty useless but a year latter and the timing of strings is becoming second nature and those Flawless Blocks are becoming a real thing you need to contend with while playing and have proved they are pretty boss and always have been, we just sucked to much for ages to use them. So, maybe, Hop is a similar thing.
I think the real mechanism (Word Nazi.. a Mechanic is a guy that fixes engines) that needs addressing besides Fatal Blow, is the Meter System. The infinitely regenerating bars is more of an issue than break away, break away is fine, it is the resources that are an issue. The regen is why they split the bars into defensive and offensive to begin with. Not sure the best fix to this, linking it to damage in a traditional way may lead to Deadshot style meter game projectile spam, which is what they were trying to avoid I think.

With the new Season of MK it would be a perfect time for large structural changes to MK11, maybe even more drastic than SFV's season changes like V-Trigger. I hope each season (and I think we will get at least 3, maybe 4) they also do a large structural change to the game.

Mr.Khen

I am you
I dislike breakaway - it's so cheap, I prefer the classic combo-breakers

Second choice was Flawless Block - it's such a hard mechanic to master, only 3 frames to react and learning the gap for each character gets tedious

Nice poll!

Flawless block punishes are nigh impossible online (for my skill level) so that is the main thing for me. The hop I wouldn't miss if it was gone but not frustrated that it's in.

I do love however, that they split the meter up into offensive/defensive and hope that stays in future games. I think the getup options give you good tools, SF5 suffers in this regard. It was awesome that they did the tutorials to get people to understand the mechanics both exclusive to Mk 11 and to fighting games overall.

Got a few minor issues.

• Special moves that don't make it into tournament variations are pretty much wasted except for messing around with from time to time with friends.
  • The Krypt. If it's going to stay I wish they would flesh it out a bit more. All it was in this game (and previous MKs) was a grind that wasn't enjoyable. Do it right if you have the budget, or don't do it for next MK11.
  • Really miss stage fatalities.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Breakaway.

I defended this mechanic for a long time. But combo breaker mechanics in general are something I will never be a fan of in a fighting game. And to me, breakaways are a worse version of a combo breaker. Since you can be punished for actually combo’ing someone. I completely understand the meta around them, the meter management, and being able to use strats against them, but that doesn’t change my opinion on them at all. I just feel like it’s a bad mechanic.

MuMuGuy

Noob
* Breakaway: Occurs way too often due to the meter system and potentially punishes players for landing a clean block/whiff punish. The combo variety in this game is lacking enough as it is, so this mechanic making one hesitant to launch exacerbates the issue.

* Krushing Blow: Not balanced among the roster since some characters have too many and/or too easy ones, whereas some other characters have such impractical ones that it’s more likely I’d be abducted by space aliens than landing their KBs against even mediocre players. Throw KBs are the worst since it makes the Take the Throw meme in SF4 and 5 real.

* Wake-Up (Delayed): The wake-up system in this game is complete buns, but delayed is the worst since it has no Defensive Stamina cost and instills the same fear of applying oki. Except in MUs against characters/Variations without non-KB launchers, Breakaway is the preferred use of Defensive Stamina.

Fatal Blow would be fine if it was made to be one attempt and gone for the rest of the match, hit, miss, or blocked. There is little reason to not try to mash those potatoes, besides saving it for round 2 or 3.

If it were in the poll, I would’ve voted regenerating meter easily.

Plop

Noob
I think breakers were needed in games like 9 and X when some characters were getting 40%+meterless from a 50/50, but I don't think they're needed here.
Doing any sort of significant damage in this game mostly comes from reads and resources (meter, krushing blows etc)...and then you get punished for your launch. It's silly

It's really only two for me.

Fatal Blow:
I've said it before that i feel it's a big missed opportunity for a last chance mechanic. I wished it was more like IJ traits. Granted the visuals are impressive, they get old quickly after seeing them a million times.

Breakaway:
Feels like a lesser version of a combo breaker. always seems weird that it can only be done during a juggle.

I love the concept of Flawless Block but it feels underutilized. I wish it was a little more accessible somehow.

With the new Season of MK it would be a perfect time for large structural changes to MK11, maybe even more drastic than SFV's season changes like V-Trigger. I hope each season (and I think we will get at least 3, maybe 4) they also do a large structural change to the game.
I would love to see some drastic changes but it doesn't seem to be NRS m.o.

Since they were on a tight game development cycle in the past i can see why they wouldn't want to commit to any drastic changes after release, but if they truly intend to support MK11 much longer, colour me hopeful.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Most of them work well, but I think all could use a few tweaks. Hop and Fatal Blow were the ones I selected. Fatal Blow being a one time attempt, and then gone after a block or hit would be nice.

I don't mind comeback mechanics, but I'd rather they be tied to some type of gauge that enhances the character for a brief time, similar to KI's Instinct gauge, or some of the gauges in GG or BlazBlue. Having a one hit Super Animation move just seems a little boring, although that seems to be how games go these days.

Hop seems like an interesting idea, but the utility just doesn't seem all the way there.

I should have also selected KB's. Having the resource is good, but I was hoping it would be a bit more strategic in nature, and more specifically tailored to each character instead of every character getting the same universal KB's.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Breakaway: still confuses me why the game's anti-combo mechanic was made to only combat juggles when certain characters have basically no juggles

Fatal Blow: much better after the armor nerf, but I still feel there should be more risk to that much reward

Hop: they should go over every single poke in this game, including D1s. Makes no sense right now that they don't properly beat the main thing they were clearly designed to beat
I'm not totally convinced there is enough time on the input for hop to beat d1 and not also have full jump immunity to d1's on startup.

Jump and hops are differentiated over time but to make it work you basically have to give a pass to jump startups because you don't know if the user is going to let go of up at the beginning. It's probably only a few frames, but enough that people may see a lot more success at jumping away from all the pokes currently being used to keep people from jumping all the time already. I'm not quite sure how far up you get before it knows you hopped, but it's worth thinking about. Maybe inputs could be changed. They feel pretty natural, so that isn't ideal. Maybe it all works out, but I'm betting there is something to work though there.

I think hops have a lot of utility now. For some character's they are about the only way to get people stand blocking, and hopping into low to get them to block high is super fun and plays around the ractability aspect of them. I'm willing to keep an open mind, but I don't know that they really need any more utility.

I do think Breakaway is a little weird. Mostly I just want it to work when you want it to. Than means both having it work when you do the inputs, and flipping stop doing it all the time when you don't. The inputs they chose just don't seem to be working out for anyone.

Mostly though I don't have any big problems with anything, nothing that warrants a checkbox for the poll. I would like roll to roll when I do the input. I've just can't quite figure out what it wants, and I guess that goes for most command WU's. Just buffer the wakups like crazy and let the decision making sort out what happens next.

I'd be fine with toning down the "why not" aspect of fatal blows. I don't want it floored to the most extreme one attempt idea, and mostly because I don't agree with the idea that anyone that dies to one was actually out playing anyone. If one kills you, you typically were already in one touch death range in many games. I like the tension it creates when one lights up. I do wish they were shorter, but that's not changing.

Krushing Blows are cool. The only mistake I think they made with them is making the accessibility so varied across characters. Not because of balance, but because people keep thinking there is a balance issue. Johnny and Liu are on opposite sides but are both strong characters and the game balance seems to be working out pretty well in general. Building characters that need to get a bunch of them to be balanced sends an emotional message to the people getting hit by them that isn't reflective of what is happening and unpleasant to go through. It's also desensitizing to see them constantly for what is basically normal base play for a character. It would feel better to people if it was more even. It's a pretty minor grip though, as I don't think there is any technical problem, and it's just more of a user perception one.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Warms my heart to see how high the percentage of people that hate Breakaway is. There are so many problems with it.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Warms my heart to see how high the percentage of people that hate Breakaway is. There are so many problems with it.
It's not even just that there are problems with it to me. It just, at its core, does not make sense in the context of MK11. It woulda made perfect sense in the insane rushdown game of MKX where juggles were everywhere because it would have made those on offense genuinely consider ground-only combos sometimes to avoid their damage being broken. Considering everyone in MKX had a bajillion combo paths, this wouldn't have felt that limiting. In MK11 where juggles aren't nearly as common across the cast as MKX, it simply does not fit the game's mold in my mind. They also just regularly delete the once-a-match pop-up KBs, especially against characters like Jade against which you have 0 threat of needing to breakaway in the course of a regular match. Boy that slow-mo animation of me cracking the face of their skull in only for them to spin back to the ground immediately sure was exciting!

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
It's not even just that there are problems with it to me. It just, at its core, does not make sense in the context of MK11. It woulda made perfect sense in the insane rushdown game of MKX where juggles were everywhere because it would have made those on offense genuinely consider ground-only combos sometimes to avoid their damage being broken. Considering everyone in MKX had a bajillion combo paths, this wouldn't have felt that limiting. In MK11 where juggles aren't nearly as common across the cast as MKX, it simply does not fit the game's mold in my mind. They also just regularly delete the once-a-match pop-up KBs, especially against characters like Jade against which you have 0 threat of needing to breakaway in the course of a regular match. Boy that slow-mo animation of me cracking the face of their skull in only for them to spin back to the ground immediately sure was exciting!
I mean...I do consider that a problem. If I only get a launch when I open someone up clean with a whiff punish, it's just so damn punishing to have to deal with breakaway 90% of the time. I can go whole sets without getting to finish one combo.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
1. Breakaways: These need to have either a longer get up time or only be used once per match. They can be useful to exploit though depending on your options. When I play Kotal and they break away it's party time. With Baraka and Kollector you can still get over 30% depending on your route/reads. Most people are really predictable so I use the first launch to take care of their meter and start mixing them

2. Delayed Wakeup: MK has too many built in wakeup options, but I'm thinking having two separate timings of delayed wakeup is a bit much. Rolls are fine, Getup Attacks are fine, Delayed Wakeup is fine, but ones got to go and I think it's that one. I feel like a dweeb when I win with Delayed Wakeup, 12 xx Fatal Blow

3. Fatal Blow: Did NRS miss the part when everyone was constantly bitching about Ultras and Rage Arts? Fatal Blows are even worse since theres no startup cinematic to them. If they added a cinematic to them they could make them fully invincible for all I care

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Break Away and Getup (2/3) for me.

The reasons:

Break Away:
I actually do not condone the use of a breaker when you deserve to get punished for a mistake. Yes, there are games that have this sort of combo breaker mechanic but it's poorly implemented here. I just don't like my reward for a good read being taken away simply because the opponent does not want to be punished. Boo....

Get up (2/3):
Why am I only given 2 ways to officially wake up and attack in this game? I know there are the unofficial wake-up buttons and wake-up jump but those options are not consistent among the cast. I like how it was implemented in MKX better. You can just wake up with a special move that gives you some invincibility frames on start-up. Some character's up 2 or 3 care not as good as they should be and are easily overcome. As a Frost player, I've had my wake-up 2 jumped over more times than I care to count so I don't bother using it anymore.

dungeonsector

AI Fighter
Delay wakeup should be deleted in my opinion. Not only are there multiple delay wakeups — forward roll, back roll, and U3 already serve the purpose of punishing someone for trying to meaty you. Why should you have yet another option after that?