What's new

MB Throws, 50/50's everywhere?

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I hope there isn't an overabundance of meter gain in MKX. Injustice meter was gross.

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
Lol I get what you're saying PL, but a 50/50 is a guess between two options, even if the opponent is at advantage either way. Like in SF, the 50/50 for Ibuki still leaves her at advantage whether you block the kunai or you don't, but it's still a 50/50. Injustice has dumbed down 50/50s imo because it's literally just block high or block low, most setups you can't backdash or in Bane's case, jump or block lol.

But it's still 50/50s nonetheless. Crossup vs land in front is a 50/50 even though the person on the offensive is still going to be advantageous.

I hope there isn't an overabundance of meter gain in MKX. Injustice meter was gross.
Yeah this is my concern as well. Even minor meter gain on hit seems...eh? I really liked the "massive gain on block, some gain on being hit, no gain on hit" system, but I will say that if they do it right this gives at least a little "leeway" for meter heavy characters. For example it's not "at 1 meter do 40%, and at anything even slightly less, do 20%".

That said, if they don't watch it this can easily make breakers even worse. The upside in MK9 was if they just blew you the hell up, you got breaker from meter and got a chance to comeback, at the cost of most your HP, while they didn't build any meter themselves besides maybe first hit. Now if the guy blowing you up is meter independent, he has a life lead, and a meter lead, which translates to a life lead via more breakers.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Yeah this is my concern as well.
I think we agree. I like the MK9 system as well. If connecting normals builds meter in MKX, I'll wait and see final rates in comparison to chip and specials before I pass judgment.

I just don't want characters to always have meter. I want the management to be something you really have to thing about and not something you can take for granted.

I'm trusting that there won't be any nailing an opponent for 38% and building yourself 2/3 of a bar in the process.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I stand by my claim that characters who use set-ups like cuts and such benefit. That's about all I can say for sure.

Perhaps
Honestly, my initial thought was this on MB throws.

"This move looks like a very good round ender to keep people from breaking. Someone is sitting on 'danger' health but just gained breaker.... MB Throw and force them to eat a mixup that could end the round in a 1 hit fashion."

Then again, I do not know if you can break the MB throw when it is combo'd into, and I don't think we will know until the final build is out.

That was my speculation. Your example builds on what I was thinking. Kotal could MB throw, cut, Sun God Throw to end a round and not eat a breaker. Same for Ferra/Torr. That is interesting to me. Then again all grapplers are interesting to me, because grapples.

Injustice had universal mb armored launchers that were at worst safe on block and in most cases at advantage. I thought that was very very dumb design. I hope this mb throw stuff doesn't end up being as silly.