What's new

Discussion Maximizing the Longevity of MKXL

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
If youu want a game to last continue to go and enter or actually go to tournaments. So many people on this site just sit and do not go to events even though they probably can. They talk about how they do not want a game to die but do nothing about it. People are still playing SF4 at events. People actually still played MK9 at Big E events Thanks to Mike Metriod. Bottom line if you want a game to continue to live go to events and support it. Talk to the TO about running the event as well. There are plenty of games that get 20 people but they still are tournaments as side events. If they want stream time or matches recorded they get it to work. I know at pretty much every event he can go to Jonnitti helps run Soul Calibur cause he loves the game so much. You don't need large pot bonus's or free entry to keep a game alive you just a need community. Doesn't matter how old the game is either.
Exactly what this gentleman said. The reason why old smash games and SF turbo tournamens keep happening is because of community.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
If youu want a game to last continue to go and enter or actually go to tournaments. So many people on this site just sit and do not go to events even though they probably can. They talk about how they do not want a game to die but do nothing about it. People are still playing SF4 at events. People actually still played MK9 at Big E events Thanks to Mike Metriod. Bottom line if you want a game to continue to live go to events and support it. Talk to the TO about running the event as well. There are plenty of games that get 20 people but they still are tournaments as side events. If they want stream time or matches recorded they get it to work. I know at pretty much every event he can go to Jonnitti helps run Soul Calibur cause he loves the game so much. You don't need large pot bonus's or free entry to keep a game alive you just a need community. Doesn't matter how old the game is either.
I agree with this completely, it just seems that we live in an age of consistently decreasing attention spans, where people won't make that effort to go out and compete in a particular game at events unless there is new content - especially when distracted by the release of a newer game. Of course there may be certain events here and there where you see Mk9, soul calibur, etc., but it would be great to have MKXL be a mainstay (rather than poorly attended/viewed side tournament) for as long as possible.

FuzzyDunlop

AC/DC Bag > Ghost
I'm one of the most optimistic guys out there but is it really likely KP3 is happening? I mean what business sense does it make to release a "complete" edition only to release KP3 afterwards? It just seems really unlikely to me. Don't get me wrong I think it'd be awesome but it's just extremely unlikely, especially after Paulo already said there would be only one or two more patches tops.

IMO they need to finish balancing the game and continue supporting the scene, what we need to do is continue to support them and go to tournaments as much as possible. That's the only reason they will continue to support the game is through our participation both at tournaments and by watching tournaments via twitch, because us simply playing online (other than ESL) doesn't really help them. Only thing I request is some more skins, it would help make them a little more money too, which would hopefully be reinvested into tournaments and such.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
it still cracks me up how people say that MKX is "random fifty fifty coin flips". The top finishes in every single major say the exact opposite of that and continue to do so.
The same top poker players continue to win large prize pots as well, but guess what? They're smart enough to know that there's always the luck factor. Then the question becomes, if you're into random factor, why not play a game like poker that has huge amounts of money pumped into it annually vs. a niche game like MKX with tiny prize pools?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
The same top poker players continue to win large prize pots as well, but guess what? They're smart enough to know that there's always the luck factor. Then the question becomes, if you're into random factor, why not play a game like poker that has huge amounts of money pumped into it annually vs. a niche game like MKX with tiny prize pools?
I have a phenomenal mortal kombat face. No one can ever discern what 50/50 I'm gonna do next by looking at my face :DOGE

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Capcom kept SF4 franchise going for years by making adjustments / expansions and add ons, so I don’t know why MK cannot do the same.

I think a KP3 is smart and I do not see any reason why it could not happen. It would only take a relatively small team to work on it while the rest of the developers work on other games. It is not like they are forced to offer four character in a KP – they could just make 1 or 2 at a time for a reduced cost.

I’m not usually the type of person to suggest free content but I think what NRS should also consider is just releasing Sindel / Rain / Baraka sans variations for free as a nod to the community later in the year. While they would not be particularly competitive, I think it would be smart for them to do something to prolong interest and create a community feel by giving back. They could promote them as just being a little bit of fun rather than serious competitive characters and I think it would be well received. Besides, they are in the code anyway – all they would need to do is fix their broken stuff.

First of all I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. Lol...

Secondly yes there is a measure of luck in literally any competition. That being said, 90% of any fighting game is a guess. If everything were reactable then nobody would ever get hit. I'm no saying every character needs fifty ffities or vortexes but I'm saying the proof is in the tournaments.

"making reads" is ok to say but "guessing" is somehow a dirty word around the mk community. Again, I agree on a certain level that too many characters get 50-50's off of jump ins etc. Why the fuck does cyrax need it or bla blah blah I get it, but the skill outshines the "random" factor over and over and over again.

WarlordRenegade

Founder of Team Renegade
I still feel like KP2 was only created because of the botched MKX release to 360, PS3, and to some degree PC. Seems that WB would rather push out games than make endless DLC. So from that note, I dont think there will be a KP3 or any other DLC. Im still very disappointed that we only got one new stage and no DLC alts too.
Most likely not true, it was created to give new content to MKX around this time when SFV just released and also cause of KI S3. So MK would still be relevant as far as new content goes. That much is pretty obvious imo

WarlordRenegade

Founder of Team Renegade
I also want to chime in on what King said, I can't travel around America entering tourneys I have a wife and two kids and bills but I did buy the blue steel skin and the krimson ermac skin and if 5 more skins was released that supported our tournament scene I would buy all those up too, including a KP3 if they decided to make that. Long story short is I will continue to support the NRS side of the FGC as much as I can because I love MKX just like I loved injustice and MK9. Much love to all of this community and I hope this game lives forever

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
NRS needs to do a better job at balancing their games. KP2 characters destroyed any type of balance progress they had made up until March 1st. Now they've basically created a new set of problems that they will have to fix.

At this point, I kind of feel like MKX is beyond repair. I'll welcome Injustice 2 with open arms, but I don't want another MKX level of super offense in that game.

Most likely not true, it was created to give new content to MKX around this time when SFV just released and also cause of KI S3. So MK would still be relevant as far as new content goes. That much is pretty obvious imo
Part of my reasoning was how botched the announcement of KP2 was and how they went completely silent for a few months before it. And also just think about how much money they lost with the cancellation of those 2 and half (pc) platforms being dropped. They had to recoup somehow and KP2 was the answer. But this is just my theory.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
The people who believe the outcome of tournaments are decided by luck are the people who are bad at the game and can't grasp what is actually occuring in top 8 matches. No two ways about it.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
fix the fucking online for a start , failed to connect , failed to connect, failed to connect , failed to connect BOOTED BACK TO FUCKING DASHBOARD , failed to connect

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
injustice was never my cup of tea and i think they should just cut the injustice series off but I mean even if they make a part two of injustice, i will still be on mk. Infact if they had gave us a choice of more mkx dlc or injustice two, i think most of can agree we will take MKX dlc

Israel

Noob
Less 50/50's, more footsies.

Its about making the game more fun and enjoyable. As fun as the game may be for some people now, Guessing all day, isnt fun. No matter how much anyone tries to deny that, or disagree with it.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
injustice was never my cup of tea and i think they should just cut the injustice series off but I mean even if they make a part two of injustice, i will still be on mk. Infact if they had gave us a choice of more mkx dlc or injustice two, i think most of can agree we will take MKX dlc
This 100%.
I like NRS, but MK is still #1 to me.